PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check: Old-School Dungeon Crawls - Pathfinder

CHellsmith
December 23rd, 2012, 06:20
Greetings, fellow FGers!

I'm pretty new to Fantasy Grounds, but I've really liked what I've seen, and I've been thinking of running a Pathfinder campaign with an old-school feel, just for kicks and giggles.

Now, when I say old-school, here's what I mean:

-Heavy reliance on random tables (Monsters, treasure and such)
-Randomly generated dungeon maps (From the 1st Edition D&D DMG)
-Lethal encounters (But completely surmountable, with preparation)
-Henchmen!
-Low-Magic universe.

If this sounds like an excellent time to any of y'all out there, drop me a line on this thread, and we'll start to work the details if I get enough replies!

Game on!

KingofKlubs
December 28th, 2012, 16:10
What sort of Character Gen rules are you thinking about?
All Paizo books or just the core?
Stat generation?
Starting level?
Which XP progression do you intend to use?
How much starting cash? What action-roleplay ratio do you want to aim for?
Is there going to be a main plot/world with randomly generated dungeons or will you literally randomize everything?
Will you demand a Character Write-up before you accept a character into the game?

CHellsmith
December 28th, 2012, 20:15
What sort of Character Gen rules are you thinking about?
All Paizo books or just the core?
Stat generation?
Starting level?
Which XP progression do you intend to use?
How much starting cash? What action-roleplay ratio do you want to aim for?
Is there going to be a main plot/world with randomly generated dungeons or will you literally randomize everything?
Will you demand a Character Write-up before you accept a character into the game?

I'd be happy to answer these questions for you, my good man!

First, for Character Gen rules, I'm thinking average fantasy point-buy, unless the players all want to roll!

Then, as far as source material, I'm down for rules from any Paizo book, although I don't have the Advanced Race Guide (but you can use whatever you want!)

I'd be starting you out at Level 1, and probably using the Fast XP track for advancement, so you'd hopefully be getting a level about every play session near the start, and every two or three sessions later on!

Starting cash would be Pathfinder standard, and you'd probably be looking at a 2:1 Action:Role-Play ratio (Although, once again, the proclivities of the players may change this).

There is a main plot/world! In keeping with the reliance on random tables, I used the Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition World Builders' Guidebook to randomly generate a world! Complete with its own pantheon and everything! Also, given hooks present in character backgrounds, those are definitely a possibility for adventure as well.

I won't DEMAND a character write-up before allowing people in game, but I will require that some development/backstory take place, so that I can try to make the game about the characters after a few dungeons. As you increase in levels, I'm going to try to make the game less about the dungeons, and more about the characters and their increasingly important place in the campaign world. I'm even toying with the idea of sending the players to Sigil (Planescape) at about level 11!

KingofKlubs
December 29th, 2012, 00:40
OK, you've hooked me. I've always wanted to see Sigil. Sent players there for a while, never been myself.
What do mean precisely when you say a low magic universe?

CHellsmith
December 29th, 2012, 07:08
By "Low Magic", what I mean is that the starting world (pre-Sigil, naturally), won't have an overabundance of magic items or magic users. Magic will be something that is rare, and extremely respected and/or feared. Even a 1st level Wizard/Sorceror/Whatever is seriously out of the norm.

KingofKlubs
December 30th, 2012, 16:04
give us a shout when it's time to play then :)

Dr_Babylon
December 30th, 2012, 19:05
Yeah, bro, you totally had me at Planescape.

As far as the rest of it goes, I like the simplicity is beauty approach. Sometimes adventurers just adventure!

Where do you stand on voice- vs text-based games? Do you have an idea of what sort of schedule you will be aiming for (time zone, mornings, weekends, etc)?

Dr Babylon

(p.s. Welcome to the boards.)

DrSmackMatters
December 31st, 2012, 04:36
I would be very interested in this if you would take a newbie. I haven't RPG'ed in a long time and was looking at pathfinder the other day thinking that would be a good one to get back into it with.

genjuro_zero
January 2nd, 2013, 02:42
I'd definitely be interested (depending on times). I love Sigil.

Laucian
January 2nd, 2013, 12:32
This sounds really interesting, sign me up if there's still space. I have no scheduling problems, I'm free anytime anyday.

spiceking
January 3rd, 2013, 00:37
I have played 3.5 and pathfinder as well as some 3.0 but never have goten a true greyhawk experience. I am intrested in joining, but what chat or text system would the group use? I have more weeken time then week day hours, on week days i can do anything after 1800

pkuldar
January 23rd, 2013, 17:20
Sounds great! Probable game times and licence needed to join would be helpful.