PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying Fantasy Grounds

gban007
December 22nd, 2012, 20:57
Hi there, I'm thinking about buying fantasy grounds to run a 4e campaign, but have some questions I was hoping someone could answer first.
As background, I used to use the WoTC VTT, but basically as a combat tracker with a bit of campaign management, as my group play together in person, not over the net. We did find the VTT useful for it though, and were disappointed when it was stopped. While it has gone to RPG online, we need to pay to get the monsters etc in there, and are looking to run war of the burning sky next, which would require creating many of the monsters for that campaign anyway.
I have found there are fantasy ground modules for the war of the burning sky adventures, which would save on a lot of effort, so am seriously looking at it, but would like to know the following:

Does fantasy grounds run reasonably as a combat tracker, when we are all grouped around the table so I would be putting in damage for all characters, after they rolled the attacks and damages?

Does it keep up to date with changes to 4e rules?

If some of my group were to look at getting lite licenses, would it be possible for some of them to link to the game and do their own attacks and damages, while I input the damage totals for the rest?

Using a lite license, is it possible for players to create characters, and if so is this kept up to date with the latest 4e power, feat and item information?

Thanks, gban007

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2012, 00:51
Welcome to the forums!

I originally built the 4E ruleset for Fantasy Grounds before the Wizards VTT was planned. Let me give you my take on the questions.

I have run both 3.5E, 4E and PFRPG games using Fantasy Grounds. My game is usually run biweekly over the Internet, but we have a face-to-face session once a year where I use FG at the table as a GM aid (combat tracker, effects tracker, handout display, map display, and sometimes NPC rolls as well).
Since those are the most popular RPG systems, they are the ones provided with FG in the standard download and get attention from me personally.
The 4E ruleset was written to handle about 95% of the core 4E rules automatically (especially parsing of power descriptions). I have not looked at every 4E book, but most people are able to use the ruleset without issues. For the few things that are not automated, you can track as combat tracker effect notes within FG.
Most of the automation in FG is optional. I find that it is "very" helpful for 4E, due to the large number of effects especially in the mid to high levels.
For at the table gaming, I have heard of people using the system in 2 ways.
1. GM runs FG on personal screen, and runs a second instance on second shared screen. This allows the GM to prepare/hide things when necessary, and only display to users when relevant.
2. The GM runs a host locallly, and the players connect to the host over the local network using the internal IP address. I've also heard of people using hot seat model for the player laptop to make rolls, etc.
Running a second instance of FG on the host machine is automatically included to allow GMs to view how players see the tabletop, as well as to support ruleset development.
Characters can be input using a Lite license or better. However, once the characters are loaded into the GM campaign, they are not editable unless the GM has the campaign running.
As far as I am aware, the data for 4E has not been licensed by Wizards of the Coast for any third party to use. Therefore, SmiteWorks can not provide any 4E data with FG. However, there is a DDI parser written by some industrious community folks on the forums that will allow you to download data into a format FG can use for your game.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if I missed any answers.

Regards,
JPG

gban007
December 23rd, 2012, 03:55
Thanks for that, looks like it will do everything we could do with VTT, plus more without worrying about whether the other players have licenses or not.

My wife has got an ipad, and is curious as to whether at some stage there will be some sort of tablet version of fantasy grounds, whether the lite version or full. Are you able to advise whether that is likely to emerge in future?
Thanks, gban007

Trenloe
December 23rd, 2012, 06:05
My wife has got an ipad, and is curious as to whether at some stage there will be some sort of tablet version of fantasy grounds, whether the lite version or full. Are you able to advise whether that is likely to emerge in future?
Thanks, gban007
Lots of discussion going on about that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16443

Post #106 from ddavison (the president of Smiteworks) gives the latest thinking...

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2012, 06:23
We are looking at tablet options, but have no definite plans at this point. We would like to do something that works for multiple mobile options (tablets, phones, etc.). Currently, our thinking is that we would have apps that can access a running game to view characters, game materials, or participate in chat/rolling. It looks like each app would need to be game system specific, since the scripting system would not run on a tablet at this point.

I would say that the biggest challenges are the screen size difference, and the disparity of computing power between desktop and tablet. (FG is actually a highly customizable platform running on scripts to define each game system.)

There is a thread on the forums about using a Kickstarter to fund mobile options.

Also, I am personally very interested to see how the new Windows Surface Pro tablets coming out this spring will handle FG.

Regards,
JPG

gban007
December 23rd, 2012, 06:41
For your replies, I think we will be getting fantasy grounds in the new year, in preparation for when our new campaign starts :)

Tiqon
December 23rd, 2012, 16:14
gban007, do download the demo, you can get a feeling on how the program runs and how it handles stuff. Its the best way in my opinion and I'm sure when you have tried it (you can run a GM host and player client at the same machine, or do the testing with your wife ;), I did :D), you will not want to wait until next year to get it :P. Watch the videos people have made on how to use the program and look at the online manual, all your questions will be answered!. Notice that one of the very few limitations of the demo is that you can not save...

Oh and WELCOME!

damned
December 24th, 2012, 01:51
Also, I am personally very interested to see how the new Windows Surface Pro tablets coming out this spring will handle FG.

Can you see any reason it wouldnt work? Isnt the full version of surface pro the same as win8 on your desktop with a touch screen?

Valarian
December 24th, 2012, 08:48
Can you see any reason it wouldnt work? Isnt the full version of surface pro the same as win8 on your desktop with a touch screen?
I think most Win8 tablet are going to be using a lighter version, similar to the Home editions of previous versions. To extend battery life as long as possible. I can't see why it wouldn't work on a Windows tablet though. As long as Win8 doesn't do anything to mess things up. The touch screen will add some complication. Mouse wheel actions could be interesting to try and perform. Any Win8 early adopters out there? Any with a touchscreen monitor?

damned
December 24th, 2012, 09:22
I think most Win8 tablet are going to be using a lighter version, similar to the Home editions of previous versions. To extend battery life as long as possible. I can't see why it wouldn't work on a Windows tablet though. As long as Win8 doesn't do anything to mess things up. The touch screen will add some complication. Mouse wheel actions could be interesting to try and perform. Any Win8 early adopters out there? Any with a touchscreen monitor?

Home editions have not been "light" - often they have features not found in the pro version. the pro version has the ability to join to and be managed by a domain. ultimate versions have had features of both and enterprise have had further business only features like encryption and caching of server shares.

Ive been using Win8 since its release and i think it is a great OS. you need a couple of pointers to get going and then it is cleaner and faster than Win7. I am waiting for a few more tablet offerings before buying a pro tablet...

tdewitt274
December 25th, 2012, 19:00
Running Win8 myself. Not really seeing anything different. That being said, I agree with Valarian on the touch options. However, I'm sure testing those options out on a touchscreen Windows PC (like the all-in-ones) will give the same results.

damned
December 25th, 2012, 22:49
unlike the ipad which has no concept of mouse, surface supports use of mouse either via mousepad or via external mouse. android also has some mouse support - cant remember if it supports mouse wheel...

Moon Wizard
December 26th, 2012, 21:31
I'm fairly certain that it will run on the Windows Surface Pro tablets. (as long as it really is a fully featured Win 8 install)

My main thoughts on reviewing FG on the platform is whether the interfaces that we have designed hold up well given:
* Smaller screen sizes
* Different assumptions regarding mouse vs. touch (i.e. no hover, fingers are less precise, etc.)

Regards,
JPG