PDA

View Full Version : Edit -> Undo ?

RyanRMC
December 20th, 2012, 16:17
Does FG2 have or support and 'undo' options? More specifically, if I somehow delete and entire section of text I have just entered, is there a way to undo that delete and get the text back?

I understand I should be doing most of my editing in a text editor outside of FG2, but on occasion I find mistakes or make additions, and want to include some updates. Twice now I have done just this, then selected the whole thing to copy + paste back into the word document, just to accidentally hit the wrong key and delete all the work.

Thanks for any help on this.

Doswelk
December 20th, 2012, 19:41
Until FGII auto-saves the db.xml file will still have the older version of the data, if you delete something by mistake you can alt-tab to explorer and copy the db.xml file before FGII auto-saves.

Then using a text editor you can compare the two db.xml files (with FGII off) and restore the missing data.

An undo /redo system does not exist.

Griogre
December 20th, 2012, 23:17
This works and the excitement of trying to get a copy of the db.xml file before the next autosave happens is... invigorating. ;) If you do try this make sure you don't close FG because it will then write the latest info into the file.

I accidentally deleted a PC character once when I was just trying to free him before they started asking to confirm deletes. :p Got him back, too but it was more fun than I wanted.

phantomwhale
December 20th, 2012, 23:28
Was surprised not to see an item for this on the main FGII wishlist - feel free to add it though !

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

RyanRMC
December 23rd, 2012, 01:30
Nice. I added this option, and as well posted comments on a few more things I had been thinking about suggesting.

bennis1980
December 24th, 2012, 07:06
Even if FG copied the db.xml and created a new one before each session, that would be useful. I have made a mess of my campaign before and didn't know anything about the db.xml file at that point so had to suck up my losses.

Valarian
December 24th, 2012, 08:39
I think CTRL-Z works while in edit mode. It's only the last action, but at least it's something. Or, edit outside fG2 and copy in. I tend to use JEdit to edit text, then copy in and format it.

damned
December 24th, 2012, 09:24
i think a useful practise is to zip up your campaign file at the end of each session... doesnt take up too much room and could save your bacon... throw the zip onto dropbox or other for extra safety...

Trenloe
December 24th, 2012, 12:05
I think CTRL-Z works while in edit mode. It's only the last action, but at least it's something. Or, edit outside fG2 and copy in. I tend to use JEdit to edit text, then copy in and format it.
I tried CTRL-Z in a story entry in 3.5E and it didn't work.

Skellan
December 24th, 2012, 22:23
An undo command would be really handy - it gets my vote

phantomwhale
December 25th, 2012, 12:56
Vote and comment here for Undo on text / data deletion ---> https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=61723

I have a small batch file that I ran after each session - backs up my campaign folder (it's only 10-20MB) so that I always have a 3-4 hour old copy of my precious data. We've used backups a couple of time when players think they've "lost" a feat or attribute modification along the way.

Having this stuff baked in would really help !

JohnD
December 25th, 2012, 16:02
Agreed and voted.

Moon Wizard
December 26th, 2012, 21:28
There is an undo buffer on the chat entry box and string fields. However, the formatted text controls are much more complicated, and don't have undo built in currently.

Regards,
JPG