PDA

View Full Version : Geomorph Dungeons in Fantasy Grounds

hakfson77
December 18th, 2012, 16:08
Would you play in a campaign that the DM used https://davesmapper.com/as a dungeon??

I notice Geomorphs online, and wonder

Just curious?? also do you think its possible to port them into fantasy grounds?

Trenloe
December 18th, 2012, 17:20
Would you play in a campaign that the DM used https://davesmapper.com/as a dungeon??

I notice Geomorphs online, and wonder
I wouldn't have a problem with a GM using this to generate dungeon maps. However, for me, the map isn't most of the work needed to make a good dungeon - populating the dungeon with believable encounters is most of the work and it is this that makes a dungeon enjoyable and memorable. I, personally, wouldn't be interested in a game that was completely random: random maps, random encounters, random traps, random treasure, etc...

Just curious?? also do you think its possible to port them into fantasy grounds?
Use the "Export to PNG" button on the website to save the map and use that .PNG file in Fantasy Grounds.

Or, were you referring to importing each tile and making your dungeon within Fantasy Grounds from the separate tiles? If so, then you could do this in conjunction with Dr Zeuss's enhanced image extension (that allows 3 layers on the map). This extension is available for the 4e ruleset and has been ported to 3.5E and Savage Worlds at the moment.

If you want each tile, you'd need to download each tile from the website (right-click on the tile in the map and save the image). Then put all of these tiles in Fantasy Grounds as tokens. Using the enhanced images extension you could put the map tiles on the base layer and use the middle layer for additional dungeon dressing and the top layer for player and NPC tokens.

hakfson77
December 18th, 2012, 18:21
Nice input. In my effort to "find the most successful dungeon maker/builder" i saw these and was curious what the community thought.

JohnD
December 18th, 2012, 18:53
Don't see an issue unless someone is adamant they need full colour maps.

On the other hand, someone can probably do a free hand drawing and scan it on their own and accomplish the same thing. Unless I'm missing something.

wbcreighton
December 18th, 2012, 21:07
Quick question regarding layers:

Can you mask the second layer ? Seems to me that was the biggest drawback of the layer extension. The dungeon dressing on the 2nd layer can't be masked, unless that has been changed.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2012, 21:09
Quick question regarding layers:

Can you mask the second layer ? Seems to me that was the biggest drawback of the layer extension. The dungeon dressing on the 2nd layer can't be masked, unless that has been changed.
You're right - masking is only done on the bottom layer.

Griogre
December 18th, 2012, 23:06
Those look like some old geomorphs similar in style to ones I made years ago for a random dungeon generator. I'm similar to Trenloe in that to me is more important what's in the room rather than how the map was generated. Though I don't mind an occasional totally random level(s) for a one shot kick in the door dungeon hack. Those can be fun but that's usually because of your fellow players and for the chance to do something different, but I think it would be too boring for a long term campaign.