PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-09: The Quest for Perfection—Part I: The Edge of Heave

hawkwind
December 15th, 2012, 13:33
Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-09: The Quest for Perfection—Part I: The Edge of Heaven (PFRPG) PDF

Paizo Publishing, LLC

List This Product

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for Levels 1–5.

In the distant land of Tian Xia, the Pathfinder Society's Lantern Lodge sends a team of agents high into the mountains of the Wall of Heaven to an abandoned Iroran monastery in search of a powerful relic to assist them in ensure victory in the upcoming Ruby Phoenix Tournament. Though the monastery has long laid unused by the faithful of the Master of Masters, it is not completely devoid of danger, and the PCs soon discover that merely retrieving the ancient artifact is but the beginning of a much larger quest.

I plan to run all three parts in order other as many three hour sessions as it takes. Players do not have complete all three parts though it would be better for every one if you can

lachancery
December 15th, 2012, 13:49
I signed up on the game calendar, but my availability is tentative. I'll get confirmation tomorrow if I can make the time slot.

I could either play MorQuesse (3rd level) or a new 1st level character.

Skellan
December 15th, 2012, 14:35
Looking forward to this one :) I will probably bring Norbur, depending on what we need

Killian
December 15th, 2012, 19:58
Hey this sounds great count me in.

If it's a 3 parter I have a Monk who sounds very appropiate for this adventure but if h'e sin all 3 parts he'll probably end up halfway through 4th level. Would this unbalance the tiers? I can go for a lower level character but both my level 3's are in this situation.

hawkwind
December 15th, 2012, 20:07
Hey this sounds great count me in.

If it's a 3 parter I have a Monk who sounds very appropiate for this adventure but if h'e sin all 3 parts he'll probably end up halfway through 4th level. Would this unbalance the tiers? I can go for a lower level character but both my level 3's are in this situation.
he would just be playing down geting tier one rewards god and magic item wise so I don't see a problem especially if we don't get 5 other third level characters. What does the brains trust of experienced PFS Gm's think?

Killian
December 15th, 2012, 21:53
Indeed the only problem is having a character at that stage who has yet to play a higher tier he'll be lacking in certain magic items and gold. But a monk can handle that better than any other class I think.

I'll sign up with Haematite. Be aware though that if we end up with a whole party that doesn't speak Tien I might have to switch to my multi-lingual rogue. :P

Killian
December 15th, 2012, 22:11
Brand new .xml file with all the changes added (also some pretty comprehensive general purpose effects if you need them, thanks Blackfoot for getting me started on those) and also the last chroniclesheet, this will be chronicle number 8 for Haematite.

Gadreun
December 15th, 2012, 22:16
Woohoo a game in my timezone!

68047-1 Human Rogue (dual melee) level 2 - this adventure will be chronicle #5

Will you be running the 3 parts in the same timeslot each week - that would be awesome :)

hawkwind
December 15th, 2012, 22:30
are you sure I am in your time zone, last time I checked New Zealand didn't run on greenwich mean time -quite the reverse literally

Gadreun
December 15th, 2012, 22:36
its my saturday 9am - perfect buddy :) its practically the only chance i get to play PFS games when someone from the UK runs a late FRI game. Usually i catch a game with Skellan but i think he might be coming along to play this also.

hawkwind
December 15th, 2012, 23:29
I thought I had posted the wrong time when a kiwi says the time suited them.I have games with a few of your fellow country men and always enjoyed the experience.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2012, 02:00
he would just be playing down geting tier one rewards god and magic item wise so I don't see a problem especially if we don't get 5 other third level characters. What does the brains trust of experienced PFS Gm's think?
A level 4 PC playing in a subtier 1-2 scenario will more than likely unbalance the game (especially a monk when in combat) and the encounters won't be much of a challenge as a whole, a level 3 PC less so but still a bit. You really have to treat each scenario based on the APL of the party, so one game may play up, but the next might play down if the party mix changes.

The advantage we have on Fantasy Grounds is that we know ahead of the game what people are bringing to the table (virtual, that is), rather than at a store or convention where you usually work the party out at the table just before you play. So, the party APL for this adventure can be calculated beforehand and decisions made (assuming everyone who signs up, turns up). In general playing up if there is that option is OK (for parties with APL 2.5+) and no first level PCs. First level PCs playing up is generally not a good idea - great rewards, but the risk of dying is greater and this usually results in the PC not participating in the dangerous parts of the game that much.

So far (looking at the calendar at this point in time) you have APL 3 with 5 PCs and no 1st levels. So, this one will probably be a good idea to run subtier 4-5, but the players do have the choice which subtier they play as it is between 1-2 and 4-5.

hawkwind
December 16th, 2012, 06:22
Thanks I will prep for both tiers

hawkwind
December 16th, 2012, 17:25
Do peeps want to play a Tier on part one?

lachancery
December 16th, 2012, 18:27
I'd be a go for tier 4-5 myself. It would be challenging, but we've got experienced players and it should be fun to be more strategic/tactical. With 6 players, there just wouldn't be any challenge in the encounters on tier 1-2.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2012, 18:36
I'd be a go for tier 4-5 myself. It would be challenging, but we've got experienced players and it should be fun to be more strategic/tactical. With 6 players, there just wouldn't be any challenge in the encounters on tier 1-2.
Currently you're APL 3 with 5 PCS (without Trueshots PC). Even if Trueshot brings a level 1, the APL will be bumped up to 4 (due to adding 1 level to the APL for 6 players) so you should usually play subtier 4-5 in this case. But, as the APL is getting to 4 based on rounding up (16/6 = 2.66 = 3 when rounded up) the PCs still have a choice.

avro5731
December 16th, 2012, 20:29
Hi all Kito and Caltrop - lvl 3 witcha and familiar

I vote to play as high as we can (flex) after all I'm here to save you !!!

Gadreun
December 17th, 2012, 05:53
I agree play as high as we can - if i die, i die :) that's what adventuring is all about! Risk and fun.

hawkwind
December 17th, 2012, 06:59
I agree play as high as we can - if i die, i die :) that's what adventuring is all about! Risk and fun.
that's the spirit, think of all the treasure! what could possibly go wrong?

hawkwind
December 17th, 2012, 07:32
Woohoo a game in my timezone!

68047-1 Human Rogue (dual melee) level 2 - this adventure will be chronicle #5

Will you be running the 3 parts in the same timeslot each week - that would be awesome :)
not sure if all the parts will be on the same night yet.I'll have a word with the Mrs and see if she minds.this Friday she is out with girl friends for a xmas drink so I should be able to do the first part in one session

Skellan
December 17th, 2012, 11:02
Actually, are you running the first one in two 3 hour slots? If so, i may not be able to play as i have delta green the week after.

hawkwind
December 17th, 2012, 18:32
Friday nights session will be longer than my usual games as it's a Friday night and the wife is out on the lash so I don't see why we can't do the whole adventure.I don't know when the next session to do part two will be all I can say is that it will not be the following Friday as I to am playing some thing else.
I will discuss with the players the various options for doing the other the parts on Friday

Skellan
December 17th, 2012, 18:42
Great - if we are doing the first part in one session, I am in. Character and Chronicle to follow shortly

Trueshots
December 17th, 2012, 21:53
Hey there, Im posting my current toon for you. But Im playing Tuesday as well so It may change by Friday. If so, Ill edit this post for you as soon as I have updated information. Thanks and really looking forward to this!

Trenloe
December 17th, 2012, 22:29
But Im playing Tuesday as well so It may change by Friday. If so, Ill edit this post for you as soon as I have updated information.
Don't edit the post - make a new post in this thread. The reason for this is that no one receives a notification when posts are edited - so it is easy to miss. When you make a new post all those subscribed to the thread will get a notification and will know there is a new post to view.

lachancery
December 18th, 2012, 04:17
Here is the XML for MorQuesse level 3 and his last chronicle sheet.

Looking forward to Friday!

hawkwind
December 18th, 2012, 08:33
Thanks every one, just a few more to come in. I have just read the the third part of this adventure and if anyone if familiar with a certain movie by Akira Kurosaw which was latter made in to classic western they may be able to guess the plot-sort of

Skellan
December 18th, 2012, 13:54
By jimbo, sounds fun

Gadreun
December 19th, 2012, 09:48
Guys i really didn't want to have to do this but life's come up to interfere and i have to pull out - im sure you will replace me with a 4th lvl fighter :D - looks like its going to be an awesome adventure too! (curses)

hawkwind
December 19th, 2012, 13:54
ok watch out for the second part in the new year, may be you can make that

Tinculin
December 19th, 2012, 14:51
Might be able to make this - are you playing lower or higher tier? what levels do u have so far?

hawkwind
December 19th, 2012, 21:53
a lot of level threes who want to play up

Trueshots
December 19th, 2012, 23:06
My uber level one will hide behind to protection of level 3's so we can play up! i need the gold!

Skellan
December 19th, 2012, 23:48
Here's Kirsa. She's lvl 4 ranger at the moment

Skellan
December 19th, 2012, 23:51
though i could play another lower lvl if its looking that way

avro5731
December 20th, 2012, 00:06
I can play lower toon also or if we need a tank I can play my lvl 4... Im fluid.

Gadreun
December 20th, 2012, 05:59
ok watch out for the second part in the new year, may be you can make that

oh id love that, hopefully by then i will have sneaked in a few games and be up at least 3rd level.

Gad

hawkwind
December 20th, 2012, 08:19
My uber level one will hide behind to protection of level 3's so we can play up! i need the gold! you could always play a generic 4th level character and save the credit till later

hawkwind
December 21st, 2012, 14:33
server up and running, play starts at 8pm gmt

Killian
December 21st, 2012, 14:46
Have you decided if we'll be playing up or not?

hawkwind
December 21st, 2012, 15:00
I think so

lachancery
December 21st, 2012, 16:36
GAH! Big snowstorm over here has screwed up my schedule today. (Schools closed, etc.) It sucks grandly, but I won't be able to make the game today. I was looking forward to playing with this party. :(

avro5731
December 21st, 2012, 17:34
Be Safe, we will miss your help

Trueshots
December 21st, 2012, 18:00
Here's My updated Character and Chronicle Sheet. The Chronicle Sheet is wrong though. I don't have that much gold and I intend to buy a cure light wand. I adjusted properly on my character file and will ask last nights GM to fix for me. Sorry bout that, He was doing fast so I could play today. I'll load my character onto you server in less than 10 mins. See ya soon :)

Trueshots
December 21st, 2012, 18:49
For whatever reason, I can't import my toon to the server :( Tried multiple different times. Is there a particular folder I should put the .xml file into, that it will show up? thanks.

Trenloe
December 21st, 2012, 18:54
For whatever reason, I can't import my toon to the server :( Tried multiple different times. Is there a particular folder I should put the .xml file into, that it will show up? thanks.
If you, rather than the GM, want to import it to the server, then you need to have the character in your local cache - i.e. the base 3.5E Manage Characters section (not in Manage Characters in a campaign).

When you login to the GMs campaign and the character selection screen appears, press the arrow icon at the bottom and this will show a list of the characters in your local cache. If it's not there, use the Character Converter to bring it into the local cache - as described here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139199&postcount=41

Gadreun
December 21st, 2012, 20:03
great belated mews i can make the game - sorry for late notice- ill check on TS if you can have me along or not :)

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 06:56
boots of the winterlands (2,500 gp) cloak of resistance +1 (1,000 gp) scroll of spider climb (150 gp) sovereign glue (2,200 gp, limit 1 ounce) I

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 07:30
The list in the previous post is the treasure from the chronicle sheet.

a few things i need to get straight before doing your chronicle sheets, Skellam do we have chronicle sheet for your dwarf or is he new and in which case what is his fraction again and character number?

Some one spent prestige point on a clw wand , who was it

take this as a opportunity to remind me of any thing i should be adding to your chronicle sheets. I'll have a stab of getting the gp total by the end of the day

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 07:45
you all have 472gp extra to spend

Killian
December 22nd, 2012, 10:36
Hey Hawk, thanks for running already looking forward to part 2!

Few things for Haematite to help you out:

Chronicle Number: 8

Starting XP: 7
New XP: 8

PFS: 40412-2
Startting Fame: 10 New Fame: 12
Starting Prestige: 8 New Prestige: 10

Items Used: 3x Charges: CLW Wand, 1x CLW Potion, 1x Mage Armour Potion, 1x Pellet Grenade, 1x Tindertwig

Items Bought: Potion of Mage Armour (50GP), Potion Cure Moderate Wounds (300GP), Potion Enlarge Person (50GP)

Starting Gold: 727.26
Gold Gained: 472GP
Gold Spent: 400GP
New total: 799.26

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 13:26
Good man, if all the players did that my job would be a lot more easy. The next part of the trilogy is loosely based on Apocalypse Now! now remember Goblins don't Surf!

avro5731
December 22nd, 2012, 18:18
Stolen from above:

Few things for Kito to help you out:

Chronicle Number: ?

Starting XP: 6
New XP: 7

PFS: 41731-3
Startting Fame: 12 New Fame: 14
Starting Prestige: 10 New Prestige: 12

Items Used: Other peoples wands 0 charges for mine / 1 scroll Endure Elements

Items Bought: 3 scroll Endure Elements (25ea / 75gp total)

Starting Gold: 5038 gp
Gold Gained: ??
Gold Spent: 75 gp
New total: ??

Skellan
December 22nd, 2012, 19:15
Stolen from above, above :)

Few things for Norbur to help you out:

Chronicle Number: 3

Starting XP: 2
New XP: 3

PFS: 62703-3
Startting Fame: 2, fame gained : 2, New Fame: 4
Starting Prestige: 2, Prestige Spent 2, Prestige gained :2 New Prestige: 2

Items Used: 2 charges of wand of clw / 1 scroll Endure Elements

Items Bought: Wand of Cure light wounds 2pp,
Cold Weather outfit 8gp
Ranger's kit 9gp
Scroll of endure elements 25gp

Starting Gold: 1048 gp
Gold Gained:
Gold Spent: 42gp
New total:

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 19:27
Stolen from above:

Few things for Lia to help you out:

Chronicle Number: 3

Starting XP: 2
New XP: 3

PFS: 71518-1
Starting Fame: 3 New Fame: 5
Starting Prestige: 1 New Prestige: 3

Items Used: 3 charges of Cure Light Wounds Wand

Items Bought: 1 scroll Endure Elements 25 gold; Climber's Kit 80 gold; Warm Clothes 8 gold; Masterwork Studded Leather 175 gold

Items Sold: Leather Armor 10 gold

Starting Gold: 525.5 gp
Gold Gained: 472 gp + 10 gp (for sells) = 482 gp
Gold Spent: 288 gp
New total: 719.5

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 21:05
plagiarism is the greatest flattery, its either sit with the Mrs and watch the final of Come Dancing or do the Chronicle sheets.......

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2012, 21:31
attached are the unsigned copies of your new character sheets, have look and see if i have made any mistakes. Once we are agreed that they are accurate I will digitally sign them.

avro5731
December 22nd, 2012, 21:54
final gold is wrong - need to subtract the 75gp for the scrolls - thanks

Trueshots
December 22nd, 2012, 22:00
attached are the unsigned copies of your new character sheets, have look and see if i have made any mistakes. Once we are agreed that they are accurate I will digitally sign them.

Mine looks pretty good. My sales are sold at 100% because I'm level one, it wont let me change that, but other than that I think its correct. Should have 719.5 gold, (may show as 720).

Thanks Much!

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2012, 22:14
plagiarism is the greatest flattery, its either sit with the Mrs and watch the final of Come Dancing or do the Chronicle sheets.......
Yeah, I know - I fly from the US to the UK to see my family for Christmas and I have to sit here all quiet while everyone watches Come Dancing for 3 hours! :(

Plenty of time to check the forums... :)

Gadreun
December 22nd, 2012, 22:42
Im a bit confused my starting GP for this game was 1652 but you have it as 472? - i spent 6 GP on our guides and bought winter clothing (25gp?) - i spent 1PP getting rid of my ghoul fever. Did i have spend some cash on the ghoul fever? Also did we divide any treasure found? It doesn't say i earned any new gold. I also rolled 14 for my daily job.

Thanks Gad

hawkwind
December 23rd, 2012, 08:08
I hadn't done much more than putting on experience and prestige to your sheet Gad as you didn't reply to my earlier post asking for details of expenditure

Killian
December 23rd, 2012, 10:56
All looks good on my end :)

hawkwind
December 27th, 2012, 16:35
sorry about the delay , been busy enjoying a family xmas and this is the first bit of free time I have had to spend on gaming related activities( apart from to many sessions of jenga with my 5 year old son)

hawkwind
December 27th, 2012, 16:43
last two sheets

I haven't started work on the next part and i ave few maps to construct as paizo thoughtfully left out three encounter maps from the adventure!

Any way I'm afraid the next part will have to be split over two sessions, I was thinking of Thursday the 3rd and /or Tuesday the 8th

avro5731
December 27th, 2012, 16:44
Looks good Thanks

Trueshots
December 27th, 2012, 16:45
sounds great, can't wait!

Gadreun
December 28th, 2012, 07:24
Thanks mate - sorry about the mixup :) - hope you and family have a great new year - im available same time each week - look forward to next stage. Ive copied Killians chronicle template to help you out a bit - sorry still a bit new and learning all of this!