PDA

View Full Version : FG graphics problem when stretched

Belsay
December 13th, 2012, 19:20
I just used v2.9.2 last night evertyhing worked well (loved the new icons), but a portion of FG would get blurry if I stretched it out across both of my monitors. It would start to blur about 2/3 of the way across my second monitor. I thought it might be the two monitors, so I tried "/scaleui 50" so it would all fit on one monitor and it would still start to blur after a certain point. Percentage wise, it was the same no matter what UI Scale I used.

Interestingly, as I stretched it slowly across the "event line", the story, map, note, etc. icons would get more and more narrow, before disappearing all together. Also, if I clicked in the blurry area, about where a button was, it would activate appropriately (list the maps, etc.)

I am attaching three images, one showing the good window before stretching, one with narrow buttons and another showing the screen fully stretched.

Finally some info:
- worked fine with v2.9.1 and before been using it for years on my current system
- Windows XP Pro
- ATI/Radeon X600 256 MB video card

Thanks for all you hard work.

PS: I did try all of the various anti-aliasing settings for my video card

kdietri
December 13th, 2012, 19:29
Haa..

Just posted the exact same problem.

kdietri
December 13th, 2012, 19:31
Is there a way to roll-back to 2.9.1 once it's live?

Zeus
December 13th, 2012, 19:51
I had a similar problem (see this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10153&highlight=dual+monitors)) when I first started using FGII 2.5 under Windows XP on two screens. I remember having tried a bunch of things including:

- updating DirectX
- updating Graphics Drivers
- reinstalling FGII

In the end, I determined it was a video ram issue for the resolution I wanted to run so I bit the bullet and purchased a new graphics card (with greater video memory) and hey presto I was able to run FGII across multiple screens at resolutions of up to 2560x1440.

I just re-tested with FGII 2.9.2 under Windows 7 at 2560x1440 across two monitors with no corruption. It also works fine on my iMac 27" at 2560x1440.

Try lowering the resolution of your two monitors, do you still get the corruption?

[EDIT] There are also some other reports of graphics issues on older Windows systems in the House of Healing. User posts seem to suggest disabling Anti Alias settings for your graphics cards may help address the problem.

kdietri
December 13th, 2012, 20:39
Yes, it is an older computer that is having the issue. My newer one is fine.

I tried adjusting the anti aliasing with no change.

I do think it's with 2.9.2 as it was working fine last week.

Zeus
December 13th, 2012, 21:09
Well I guess it could be a problem introduced with the new /scaleui feature that JPGs just introduced - /scaleui lets you adjust FGII graphics scaling so you can increase or decrease FGII's canvas scale.

Have you tried /scaleui 75% and /scaleui 125%, do you get the same problem?

kdietri
December 13th, 2012, 21:43
Yeah, I tried 50, 75, and 80. All the same thing.

JohnD
December 14th, 2012, 00:39
Sounds like system related, not FG.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2012, 08:18
@Belsay - please try running the DirectX diagnostic program: In Windows press the "Windows" key and R (or Start -> Run) and then type dxdiag and click OK

Please provide screenshots of the first page "System" and the 2nd page "Display". Thanks.

Belsay
December 14th, 2012, 17:05
Trenloe,

Thanks for the help. I have attached the files you requested. I hope you can find something, it all looks right to me. It has always worked up through v2.9.1 and I rechecked the system requirements and I meet all of those (unless they have changed with the new UI Scalability):

Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0 or better
DirectX 9.0 compatible video adapter
Pentium 3 500MHz or equivalent
RAM: 256 MB
Video memory: 32 MB
Hard drive space: 100 MB
Internet Connection

Trenloe
December 15th, 2012, 00:07
Trenloe,

Thanks for the help. I have attached the files you requested. I hope you can find something, it all looks right to me. It has always worked up through v2.9.1 and I rechecked the system requirements and I meet all of those (unless they have changed with the new UI Scalability):

Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0 or better
DirectX 9.0 compatible video adapter
Pentium 3 500MHz or equivalent
RAM: 256 MB
Video memory: 32 MB
Hard drive space: 100 MB
Internet Connection
Might be worth updating the graphics driver and the directX driver:

https://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Also, please include a screenshot of "Display 2" in dxdiag.

When you get the issue is it one one screen? If so, try it on each screen from normal size until you get the issue. Or is it if you stretch it across both screens?

Belsay
December 15th, 2012, 18:50
Thanks for the help. I will try those updates sometime this weekend.

As for Display 2, it is exactly the same as Display 1.

Both monitors are exactly the same. Switching them makes no difference. If I scale the UI to 50%, FG II gets small enought that the problem will occur within one monitor.

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2012, 01:39
Hmm, haven't seen this one before. It looks like the drawing stops for some reason after it stretches past a certain point. I had to change the rendering pipeline for the client to support scaled desktops, and to clean up a few other lingering issues, so it could be related to the changes interacting with your configuration.

I'm thinking that it might be some sort of limitation of the video driver or XP (32-bit, I assume). I currently stretch my desktop out to 4480 width without issues, but I'm running Windows 8.

Try updating the drivers as Trenloe suggested, and hopefully that will clear it up.

Regards,
JPG

Belsay
December 21st, 2012, 16:54
Thanks for the info. I am also thinking that Dr. Zeus may be right and it is a limitation of the memory on the video card (256 MB). I am looking into a similar one that has 512 MB. Less then $30 on eBay.

As it is, the program is still usable, I just only use about half of my second monitor.

Thanks for all you do.

Belsay