PDA

View Full Version : Monsters with multiply damage types on a critical

GMTroll
December 11th, 2012, 17:33
I am creating a module for Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams from Dungeon 155 but I am having trouble with the damage for the Lifedrinker power of the NPC Volkanth.

1d8+4 (on crit 12 damage plus 2d6 necrotic damage);

When I SHIFT+Click for crit damage everything works fine. The problem is when you just click for normal damage it also includes the 2d6 necrotic damage even though it is not a critical.

I have played around with the arrangement of the damage statement, removed 'on', substituted 'plus' with '+' but cannot get it to work.

The closest I have got is

1d8+4 (on crit 12+2d6 necrotic damage);

but then all of the crit damage is treated as necrotic damage and not just the 2d6.

Any ideas? Or is this not possible in FGII right now?

Griogre
December 11th, 2012, 18:33
I've never had much luck with the special on crit damage, but its a bug that its combining crit and non-crit damage. What I usually do is just make it a totally separate damage entry so if I roll a crit I just drag or click the crit damage. IE: +12 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage; (2d6 necrotic damage plus 12 damage on crit); Moving the "on crit" to the back stops the problem you have but may have its own problem. This usually works for my DM style as I seldom bother to set targeting on PCs since I find I can normally drag and drop the rolls on the map or PC portraits faster than targeting them unless I manage to get three or more of them and they actually have the same modifiers.

The problem with my approach is, occasionally, the program will auto crit and max the separate crit damage dice but auto critting damage rarely happens to me since I don't usually select targets and if I know its going to max the damage, I'll just throw that damage roll into chat to get rid of the max roll. I've honestly found the auto crit damage to be more of a problem than a help at higher levels.

GMTroll
December 11th, 2012, 22:07
Thanks Griogre. Moving the on crit to the end has done the job. An thanks for the heads up on the auto crit feature, been a while since I used FGII and had forgotten about that.