PDA

View Full Version : Question: option value on client side

lule
December 9th, 2012, 17:09
Regards to all,

first: I do not know if this is the correct part of the forum for this question. If it is not, please talk to me.

The question: is there any way that the host can get the option value of all users on client side?

Details:
We develop a ruleset and some users like to have a ring sound when new messages are received in the chat window. We developer think that this feature could be very annoying. So we like to realise this feature with an option for each player. The Problem is, that the User.ringBell-function can not be used on client side. Therefore the host has to monitoring the chat and then send the ring bell to the users which have set the option for this feature "on". And there is the problem: How to get the option value of all users on client side?

Thanks.

Lule

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2012, 20:19
The ring bell option as built into the 3.5E and 4E rulesets is campaign-specific, not user-specific. The user specific settings (i.e. double click behavior, etc.) are stored in the user registry on the client machine, but inaccessible to the host.

To workaround this and implement a per-user bell ring option, you would need to make the bell ring a client side option. Then, you would need to change the current bell ring code to send a new OOB message type to the client requesting the value of the option. Then, the client would need to respond with a second new OOB message type indicating their option value. Finally, the host would ring the bell based on their option value.

If you want the bell ring function to allow clients and host to ring their own bell, please add to the wish list in my sig. It would essentially need to be a new function in the client.

Regards,
JPG

lule
December 9th, 2012, 21:42
Hallo JPG,

thanks a lot!

We have until now not implemented the OOB messages in the ruleset. It is one bigger thing on the to do list. So this feature has also to wait.

Regards,
Lule