PDA

View Full Version : Update of FATE dice?

S Ferguson
December 4th, 2012, 23:27
My group and I are playing the Dresden Files, and the FATE dice extension doesn't seem to work in 2.9.1. Has anyone worked on an update to this?

Valarian
December 5th, 2012, 08:41
Why not use the Dresden Files ruleset in the wiki? I've tested that under 2.9.1 and it works okay. I do need to update it to Foundation Core at some point, but it does still work as is. The FATE dice extension was a way to get the FATE dice in to any ruleset.
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Dresden_Files

S Ferguson
December 5th, 2012, 14:19
O.K. Thanks. I'll try it. And when you update the dice I'll be your first client:).

Valarian
December 5th, 2012, 14:27
Is the extension still useful? The FATE dice are included in the Spirit of the Century extension and in the Dresden Files ruleset. I need to update both to work off the later Foundation Core, but hadn't considered the custom dice only extension.

S Ferguson
December 20th, 2012, 17:33
The extension still works and is still useful.:) I tend to use Fudge dice in most of my games I'm running, so it's a bit of a lifesaver for me. As for the SoC and Dresden Files, Evil Hat has just finished a successful kickstarter and is now offering the new 3.0 FATE rules. It's a marked improvement on SoC and Dresden, and is still compatable with both. Perhaps that would be the next logical extension?

Valarian
December 21st, 2012, 09:09
FATE Core is on the to-do list. Probably do that in Foundation Core, then port the SotC and Dresden Files sheets on top as extensions. Also ... Star Wars and Babylon 5 flavours - which I have in note form on paper currently.

S Ferguson
December 21st, 2012, 16:43
FATE Core is on the to-do list. Probably do that in Foundation Core, then port the SotC and Dresden Files sheets on top as extensions. Also ... Star Wars and Babylon 5 flavours - which I have in note form on paper currently.

Could you throw in a Farscape flavor too? ;) I find some sci-fi, (like space opera) benefits well with the FATE system.

demonsbane
January 4th, 2013, 11:33

Valarian,

That is great to hear.

I'm becoming more and more interested in FATE Core (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core) and I was wondering how to run it with Fantasy Grounds.

(Now, for what is worth I'll be running Fantasy.)

krb243
January 19th, 2013, 20:50
the link to download the fudge dice ext file on wiki is broken...or is it just me?

S Ferguson
January 19th, 2013, 20:53
Nope. Just downloaded it again. Note that this just adds FATE dice to any ruleset. If you're playing The Dresden Files, the dice come "included" with the rule set.

S Ferguson
January 19th, 2013, 21:20
However if you really need them they are attached to this post (hopefully):

krb243
January 20th, 2013, 02:02
Thanks much :D

S Ferguson
January 20th, 2013, 02:03
Anytime...;)

Valarian
January 20th, 2013, 18:11
The extension adds a custom d6. To get at them, you either need to right-click on the d6 icon and navigate to the dF, or type "/die 4dF" in the chat window.

BaseDeltaZero
May 7th, 2013, 06:02
However if you really need them they are attached to this post (hopefully):

Thank you so much - this will be really helpful in my future efforts... though, I have two other questions, one related, one not so related...

1: Is there a particularly good option for playing FUDGE on FG2, like a ruleset or the like? I'm planning on using the basic D&D 3.5 ruleset, burying the actual 'character sheet' in each creature's Notes tab, but wondering if there was a better option. I'm using a nine-point spread, though, so it needs to have at least that level of customization.

2: Is there an easy way to set the dice, once rolled, to automatically display their sum?

Valarian
May 7th, 2013, 12:26
There's not a Fudge specific ruleset, though it may work better for you to download the Dresden Files ruleset and use that instead of the 3.5e one. It has Fudge style skills (ignore the aspects and stress boxes) which roll the dice when double-clicked and add the skill (displaying the resulting total). You don't then need to activate the FATE dice extension (Dresden Files ruleset has those built in).

Totalling the dice is a GM option in 3.5e (in the preferences/options). It should work with the extension as the extension is only adding a custom die. You can drag "/die 4dF" to the macros bar from the chat and use the designated function key (e.g. F1) to roll the dice.

S Ferguson
May 7th, 2013, 17:11
Besides. who doesn't like the Dresden files? I've hackneyed even a SoTC game using that one. Wouldn't mind seeing it brought up to 2.9 but it works in a pinch.:)

Cheers,
SF

Valarian
May 7th, 2013, 22:45
When I get some time, I plan on using the Foundation Core to do a FATE ruleset. I'll then retrofit the Dresden Files, SotC and Legends of Anglerre sheets as extensions. Not sure when I'm going to get around to that though. The Dresden Files ruleset is fully functional, with character, NPC sheets and combat tracker.

S Ferguson
May 7th, 2013, 22:54
Mmmm. I find the only essential part missing is "the city" that shapes you, and the "weirdness in the neighborhood" sections. Those would be nice.;) . And doesn't DF and SotC use the same foundation? I mean they just released v3 of the core rules system (which post-dates both DF and SotC).

Valarian
May 7th, 2013, 22:56
A Fudge variant might be nice too. Give me an excuse to dig the Deryni game out.

Valarian
May 7th, 2013, 22:57
Ah, I just use story items for city notes. SotC has more stress boxes, and I did a nice desktop (if I can find it). You also get free stunts (they dont reduce refresh as in Dresden Files and FATE Core).

S Ferguson
May 8th, 2013, 01:24
Ah, I just use story items for city notes. SotC has more stress boxes, and I did a nice desktop (if I can find it). You also get free stunts (they dont reduce refresh as in Dresden Files and FATE Core).

Yeah, I forgot totally about that aspect of SotC. But the city the DFs actually has impact on your character - in terms of character theme, as well as contacts, aspects, likely foes, etc., only some of which could rely on notes. At some point you're impacting character design. The "city" is just as much as part of the character as the character is part of the "setting" so to speak. And BTW are you holding out on a functional SotC ruleset? That would definitely pull me away from SW for "pulp" adventures.

And go for it! Grab Deryni! You've now got a reason. :D

S Ferguson
May 10th, 2013, 18:31

You've got even more of a reason to unearth the SotC. Hero Labs just released a *free* SotC character developer that's even available for non-registered users. Hey, to get this up and running I'd even use my meagre skills to help ;) .