PDA

View Full Version : PFS #3-07: Echoes of the Overwatched

Skellan
December 3rd, 2012, 19:51
Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-07: Echoes of the Overwatched
Tuesday 4th December 2012. 7.00pm GMT

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for Levels 1–5.

When a Pathfinder agent working in the famed Blakros Museum in Absalom falls victim to a terrible, ancient evil, if falls to the PCs to hunt down the released terror before it can retrieve a relic of the mad astronomer Ralzeros the Overwatched.

To sign up for this game, please post your character and previous chronicle to this forum thread and sign up on the calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=943)

Killian
December 3rd, 2012, 22:48
Short notice but what the heck had no plans that evening. I'll submit Haematite Level 3 Half Orc Monk. Apologies for the latest Chronicle Sheet not showing totals there were a few gaps. Total XP= 6. Total Fame/Prestige Points = 8

Skellan
December 3rd, 2012, 22:53
yeah, sorry for the short notice on this one.
Illuriel an Maehyer have said they want to play, so we have 3 so far :)
See you tomorrow

Rose Claymore
December 4th, 2012, 02:53
Count me in!

Wirbelsturm is always ready to help out the Blakros family (or the people who fall victim to them)!

I believe you have Wirbel's last xml and chronicle, Skellan. I've not played him since our last game. If you need me to resend his updated xml I can though.

FYI to everyone else playing. Wirbelsturm is a gnome alchemist pirate :pirate: who will throw bombs into melee. He has precise shot and precise bombs, so as long as no one provides his target with cover he should hit and only the bad guys will take damage. He also has a wand of cure light to heal is friends should he continue to roll 1s on attack rolls as he's fond of doing.

Skellan
December 4th, 2012, 03:46
Great, see you tomorrow :)

Killian
December 4th, 2012, 08:31
Just had a look I'm the only level 3, you guys need me to play someone of lower level?

Rose Claymore
December 4th, 2012, 10:08
If you don't mind playing down, I don't mind having the extra power of a 3rd level character along.

Killian
December 4th, 2012, 14:02
Well as a monk I've got no 2nd level spells or lots of HP to unbalance things should be ok. But I have 2 level 1's catalogued and ready if it's a problem

avro5731
December 5th, 2012, 00:54
Just saw - was hoping to make it -- o well :cry:

Skellan
December 5th, 2012, 01:42
Sorry Avro.....I will run it again soon :)

avro5731
December 5th, 2012, 02:01
Sweet - you rock - thanks

Rose Claymore
December 5th, 2012, 02:31
Awesome game!

I'm really liking the scenarios involving the Blakros family. If there are any more of these definitely count me in.

As for purchases:
2 Potions of detect magic (50 gp)
1 Alchemist Fire (20 gp or 6 gp 6sp if I craft it)
2 Acid (20 gp, or 6 gp 6 sp if I craft them)
1 Wayfinder (250 gp) (figure I'd just "keep" the one we found)
1 Scroll of identify (25 gp)
1 Scroll of jump (25 gp)

I'd like to use the purchased scrolls to add those spells to my formula book. (20 gp or 10 each). Taking 10 (total 18) on my Spellcraft check allows me to easily succeed on the check to understand each spell.

As for Day Jobs:
Take 10 on craft alchemy: 21

I have a question I can't seem to get answered on the paizo forums but figure I'd ask here. An alchemist may craft alchemical items using Craft (alchemy) per the FAQ and Additional Resources, using the rules listed under the craft skill description. How many items am I allowed to craft per scenario? Also, if I am attempting to craft a single item with a high gp value, how many rolls am I allowed to make toward crafting it?

Depending on the answers to these questions, I'd rather craft my acid and alchemist fire rather than buy full price. I can take 10 on my craft checks (for a check result of 21, more than enough to succeed at either type of item). With these rolls, I can make each item with a single check. If I can only make one, I'll make the alchemist fire.

Eventually, I'd like to start crafting my own poisons (may as well get some use out of that ability, and may as well have it cost as little as possible), but there are no truly useful poisons which will take a single check to craft. This is why I want to know how many checks I'm allowed to reasonably make at the end of a scenario. Making a purple worm poison will take between 10-20 checks, representing up to 20 weeks of work.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2012, 03:38
As for purchases:
2 Potions of detect magic (50 gp)
Sorry, you can't buy potions of detect magic. As per the magic items section of the core rulebook:
A potion or oil can be used only once. It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute and targets one or more creatures or objects.
Detect Magic does not have a "target" entry, but an area entry so you cannot make potions of it.

See more info in this thread: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nq3a?All-Possible-Potions-2

I'd like to use the purchased scrolls to add those spells to my formula book. (20 gp or 10 each). Taking 10 (total 18) on my Spellcraft check allows me to easily succeed on the check to understand each spell.
You're forgetting the DC 20 + Spell level check you have to pass to be able to understand the spell on the scroll.

Then, if you understand it, you make a DC 15 + Spell level check to copy it into your book.

Remember my reply to you here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=137030&postcount=76

I have a question I can't seem to get answered on the paizo forums but figure I'd ask here. An alchemist may craft alchemical items using Craft (alchemy) per the FAQ and Additional Resources, using the rules listed under the craft skill description. How many items am I allowed to craft per scenario? Also, if I am attempting to craft a single item with a high gp value, how many rolls am I allowed to make toward crafting it?
You need to find time during the scenario to do this - if you want to do it during the scenario; "Oh we're all out of alchemists fire, I'll go make some!" So, in some scenarios that are really short you will get no free time, in others you might get a lot of free time - such as on a ship journey or something similar.

I suggest you discuss this with your GM before the game starts to see how they want to handle it. PFS games have a tight time frame, so it is unlikely they will want to handle it during the game - even if you have a lot of free time. Probably the best way to handle it is say "my alchemist is crafting" during the game and record how much time was spent and do your rolls after the game based on that time. You will usually have to find a quiet, stable place to craft alchemy - so be prepared to make in-game sacrifices if you are crafting; i.e. you may not get to make perception/sense motive rolls, engage in a party conversation, etc...

Also remember that you need to pay 1/3 price of the item for raw materials, and you can't sell the end result so you need to have the money available to make the items.

I'm doing further research on how much time is available outside of scenarios - it looks like "lots, within reason", but I'll get back to you...

Rose Claymore
December 5th, 2012, 03:57
Sorry, you can't buy potions of detect magic. As per the magic items section of the core rulebook:
Detect Magic does not have a "target" entry, but an area entry so you cannot make potions of it.

See more info in this thread: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nq3a?All-Possible-Potions-2
Doh! I keep forgetting that. Same reason I can't have potions of shield.

You're forgetting the DC 20 + Spell level check you have to pass to be able to understand the spell on the scroll.

Then, if you understand it, you make a DC 15 + Spell level check to copy it into your book.

Remember my reply to you here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=137030&postcount=76
I did not forget. It just doesn't apply per the Alchemist's Alchemy class feature

An alchemist does not need to decipher arcane writings before copying them.

So I'm only required to make the DC 15+Spell Level check.

You need to find time during the scenario to do this - if you want to do it during the scenario; "Oh we're all out of alchemists fire, I'll go make some!" So, in some scenarios that are really short you will get no free time, in others you might get a lot of free time - such as on a ship journey or something similar.

I suggest you discuss this with your GM before the game starts to see how they want to handle it. PFS games have a tight time frame, so it is unlikely they will want to handle it during the game - even if you have a lot of free time. Probably the best way to handle it is say "my alchemist is crafting" during the game and record how much time was spent and do your rolls after the game based on that time. You will usually have to find a quiet, stable place to craft alchemy - so be prepared to make in-game sacrifices if you are crafting; i.e. you may not get to make perception/sense motive rolls, engage in a party conversation, etc...

Also remember that you need to pay 1/3 price of the item for raw materials, and you can't sell the end result so you need to have the money available to make the items.

I'm doing further research on how much time is available outside of scenarios - it looks like "lots, within reason", but I'll get back to you...

Thank you for the answers, you are a boon.

I brought this up here as Skellan is my GM for this character more often than not.

I don't see anywhere that states you may only craft items during scenarios, or may never craft items in between scenarios. Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't see anything in the FAQ or Guide to Organized Play when or how often those who are allowed to craft may do so.

Skellan
December 5th, 2012, 04:03
Cool, I will sort out your chronicle tomorrow.
I am hoping to run the blackross matrimony this sunday at 5pm gmt if you are interested.It does fepend on me building it in time though

Bloodlust
December 5th, 2012, 04:16
I'd LOVE to play that one!

Finally one of the Blackross girls is getting hitched! About time!

Trenloe
December 5th, 2012, 04:18
An alchemist does not need to decipher arcane writings before copying them.

So I'm only required to make the DC 15+Spell Level check.
Oh, never seen that one sentence right at the end of the last paragraph. Nice one, that makes it much easier! :)

Rose Claymore
December 5th, 2012, 04:27
Oh, never seen that one sentence right at the end of the last paragraph. Nice one, that makes it much easier! :)
Extremely! Especially since it's impossible for an alchemist to cast/use read magic.

Skellan
December 6th, 2012, 00:24
Alright lovely people, your characters and chronicles are available here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ge7k07zypc1uog/IkMLFwRcMb)

Please check they are correct and let me know if you want to make any purchases

cheers

Rose Claymore
December 6th, 2012, 05:11
My Items Bought sections looks a little weird.

Am I able to craft all three of the 2 acids and 1 alchemist fire? If so, it's 3 gp each for the acids (or 7 total) and only 6 gp for the alchemist fire (if you are rounding, if not then 3 gp, 3 sp each and 6 gp, 6 sp respectively).

Also I need to spend an additional 20 gp to scribe the two scrolls into my formula book (10 gp per spell).

EDIT: I received word from Michael Brock (after I apparently annoyed the entire Paizo message board community with my questions concerning crafting), that if I can take 10 on my Craft check, I basically can just buy alchemical items and poison at 1/3 market price. I believe I must still have the fame to qualify to purchase/craft any item not on the always available list. Seems the idea of crafting in general, and use of poisons in specific are just not a very popular idea at all. I regret ruffling enough feathers over it enough to wish I could rebuild with the grenadier archetype and just do away with poison use altogether.

Skellan
December 6th, 2012, 10:36
Lol you troublemaker! :P

I have updated your chronicle to reflect your points above :)

Let me know if you are happy with everything and I will sign it off

Killian
December 6th, 2012, 14:28
Hey. Just pasted this from my notes section for purchases: Purchases after the encounter: Heatstone (20GP), Smelling salts (25GP), Impact Foam (25GP) Smoke Pellet (25GP) Shard Gel (25GP) Pellet Grenade(Iron) (50GP), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (50 Charges) (2 PP points) Tanglefoot Bag (50GP (replacement)

Skellan
December 6th, 2012, 15:03
Hey. Just pasted this from my notes section for purchases: Purchases after the encounter: Heatstone (20GP), Smelling salts (25GP), Impact Foam (25GP) Smoke Pellet (25GP) Shard Gel (25GP) Pellet Grenade(Iron) (50GP), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (50 Charges) (2 PP points) Tanglefoot Bag (50GP (replacement)

The impact foam is brilliant, you have the coolest toys :)

I have added these to your sheet

Bloodlust
December 6th, 2012, 15:12
Where are all these items?

Skellan
December 6th, 2012, 15:18
quite a few were in adventurer's armoury

Rose Claymore
December 6th, 2012, 16:03
Looks good on mine. Only this is where it lists what my fame/max item cost should get bumped up to greater than 9/1500 gp. Everything else is perfect.

Looking forward to Sunday if you've got something.

Rose Claymore
December 6th, 2012, 16:05
Where are all these items?
Given Wirbel can likely craft most of them, I should probably brush up on alchemical items from sources outside the CRB. Air Crystals would likely make a good investment for him given he's also a sailor.

Skellan
December 6th, 2012, 16:16
ok, you are signed
The pdf shows rounded figures but the decimal is there and I have included it in the notes section

Killian
December 6th, 2012, 19:23
The impact foam is brilliant, you have the coolest toys :)

I have added these to your sheet

I got a small ist of alchemical stuff most of my PC's have, the "total party kill without it" stuff like alchemical silver and cold iron weapon blanches and stuff like that but with my monks and rogues they get to have all the neat stuff you might not use for 5 adventure's but is totally worth having when you do. :) Actually my favourite thing right now is if I end up playing up a tier and my weak and squishy PC's are isolated next to a big bad threat I have the pellet grenade as a last defence :P

Added items is brilliant, just need to update my gold total in notes my tally has me at 727.26GP. After that should be all ready to sign. Thanks again

Skellan
December 7th, 2012, 01:15
ok, done :)

Aajednee
December 7th, 2012, 18:11
Aparently i need to tell you that i have bought a Masterwork Nodachi cant tell you the price as its not in my lists yet if you could update that for me please that was the only new purchase for me