PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker style mapping question

Dershem
December 2nd, 2012, 04:39
For those who have done KM or other similar hex crawl's using fg. How did you manage the hex crawl mapping? And keep track of where the party has been and what they have found in the hexes?

Thanks!

lachancery
December 2nd, 2012, 06:26
For those who have done KM or other similar hex crawl's using fg. How did you manage the hex crawl mapping? And keep track of where the party has been and what they have found in the hexes?
Played KM for a while over FG. GM had mask over regional (hex) map. He used freeform unmasking a lot. When party was just going through a hex, he would unmask a small path through the hex. When the party had explored a hex, he would then unmask the whole hex along its borders. It wasn't too slow and worked out well enough to keep the mystery around the exploration.

When stuff was discovered on the hex map, he would put tokens on it to represent the feature (bridge, ruins, shrine, etc.)

p0l
December 3rd, 2012, 18:17
Also, when they learned some information by second hand or by interrogating NPCs or by finding an old map I would draw it over the masked section.

Depending on how precise it was I would do cruder or less accurate drawings, so the players would know that there was a river flowing north to south and it had a bridge, but not exactly WHERE it was.

p0l
December 3rd, 2012, 18:18
Agh.. It's been more than a month since I've been able to play. I'm really missing Pathfinder.

Dershem
December 5th, 2012, 01:00
I know the feeling it's been almost a year for me, I'm considering running KM but I'm not sure how the mapping would work for me, and The kingdom rules keeping track of all that, I'm still considering it, and working on it until after the holidays, I may decide to do something else, who knows.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2012, 02:30
The way p0l did it worked well for our game.

Have a look out there - a few people have done different maps for the Kingmaker AP that you may find good to use.

Here's one example: https://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3457&page=1

Also there is a lot of good stuff on the Paizo messageboards regarding the Kingmaker AP - but you have to find it as there is a LOT of stuff to trawl though, use search a lot: https://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/adventurePath/kingmaker

I think that in the end, using Fantasy Grounds for running the hex exploration of Kingmaker works better than face-to-face gaming. The GM can use the fog of war to reveal exactly what has been seen, players and GMs can put tokens on the map and draw on it, and this is all saved from game to game! If you use DrZeuss's enhanced image extension (provides layers) you can put different tokens on the different layers - and the fact that the mask only applies to the bottom layer can be handy in building up a map of the known and unknown base area (with masking) with tokens and drawings on the layers above - with the players only being able to interact with the top layer.

You could take a similar approach to kingdom building - have the blank settlement map imported as an image and extract the building images from the AP as tokens. Drop the tokens on the settlement map as the various buildings are built.

Leonal
December 5th, 2012, 09:21
I used CC3 with a map I had already made and revealed details as they explored. Eventually we decided to not use a mask to cover the terrain because we found it silly you could only see the terrain of one area at the time.

I would then update the map between sessions.

Examples:
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/empireh.png/ (experimenting before I had a map)
https://imageshack.us/f/143/stolenlandsjrobertsstyl.jpg/ (early stage)
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/stolenlands015paizo.jpg/ (at the end of the campaign)
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/576/stolenlandshandoutpaizo.png/ (old school style)

lachancery
December 5th, 2012, 17:44
This idea could be emulated using Trenloe's earlier suggestion of using multiple layer. The map could remain unmasked, but on an intermediate layer, the GM could put transparent colored hexagonal tokens the same size of the grid on each hex as they're getting explored. The visual effect would be that part of the map half a colored filter every explored hex...

I like this method of doing it. I have been thinking about running the Kingmaker AP starting after the holidays, and if I do, I'll use this idea...

Dershem
December 8th, 2012, 13:09
Thanks for the suggestions, I've decided to run curse of the crimson throne, more due to the story. However I'm still planning kingmaker in the future and these posts help tremendously. Thank you!

p0l
December 16th, 2012, 16:24
Curse of the crimson throne is GREAT.

I finished running it after 17 months, using Fantasy Grounds mostly.

I have a ton of recommendations if you are interested, but mainly get the excellent conversions to Pathfinder that you can find on Paizo's messageboards, they'll make your life simpler, specially on the later adventures.

Dershem
December 16th, 2012, 19:52
Curse of the crimson throne is GREAT.

I finished running it after 17 months, using Fantasy Grounds mostly.

I have a ton of recommendations if you are interested, but mainly get the excellent conversions to Pathfinder that you can find on Paizo's messageboards, they'll make your life simpler, specially on the later adventures.

I've actually ran it up to SOS before I had to move on actual tabletop, and I actually found a deal someone put together for herolab with all of the conversions, It is a great mod, my real itch is I'm seeing is I'm seeing some of the other ruleset's folks are finally updating (earthdawn and Castles & Crusades) Both games I've been itching to play for a long time, but the local folks only play pathfinder, while I enjoy it It is nice for a change once and a while. ya know, but thanks again for all the suggestions on Kingmaker our Tabletop group is going to actually use fg2 for the mapping component once we finish off either CC or S&S's.