PDA

View Full Version : Channel Energy

JohnD
December 1st, 2012, 22:00
Wondering how I go about adding this feat to the Action tab... or if it is even possible for Pathfinder.

Trenloe
December 1st, 2012, 22:53
I usually add it as an additional spell class:
- track the CL of the PC as you would for other spell classes
- use the level 1 entry to specify how many times a day the PC can channel.
- Add 2 x 1st level spell entries - 1 for healing and 1 for damaging undead.
- Make the save "Will", and check the save DC is correct.
- Add damage or healing as appropriate.

Then in game you can target the people you need, click the "cast" button for damaging undead and the will save will be auto rolled and those that save taken off. You'll just have to keep an eye on any channel resistance the undead have and apply this manually. Apply the full damage to those that didn't save (they should still be targetted) and manually apply half damage to those that did.

JohnD
December 2nd, 2012, 00:36
Hmm... that is actually what I was thinking to do... somehow what I got didn't seem to have what I was expecting to see... will have to try again.

Thanks! :)

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2012, 02:13
Exactly what I do in my game also.

JPG

lachancery
December 2nd, 2012, 06:27
Only tweak to Trenloe's suggestion is I have coded both effects (heal and undead damage) on the same spell. Seems to work fine too.

JohnD
December 2nd, 2012, 06:44
I must still be learning because I understand what you're all telling me to do, but don't know how to actually accomplish the fiddly bits.

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2012, 10:30
I must still be learning because I understand what you're all telling me to do, but don't know how to actually accomplish the fiddly bits.
Remember that you need to right-click to add damage/heal etc. entries to a spell added manually. Add a "Cast" entry first, then a damage entry next. Once you've added these manually you can hide/reveal them by pressing the grey dice icon to the right of the "spell" short description. Also remember that a down-arrow icon indicates extra options if you click it.

I keep channel to heal as a separate "spell" entry to channel to damage undead, as this allows the cast action to automatically do the will saves for the targeted undead creatures.

lachancery
December 2nd, 2012, 14:52
Remember that you need to right-click to add damage/heal etc. entries to a spell added manually. Add a "Cast" entry first, then a damage entry next. Once you've added these manually you can hide/reveal them by pressing the grey dice icon to the right of the "spell" short description. Also remember that a down-arrow icon indicates extra options if you click it.

I keep channel to heal as a separate "spell" entry to channel to damage undead, as this allows the cast action to automatically do the will saves for the targeted undead creatures.

@ Trenloe: You put a doubt in my mind, so I went to test it again... You can have two cast actions, each with its own roll, thus its own save. It looks like this:

On the mini-sheet:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/731355/channel-mini.JPG

On the actions tab of the character sheet:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/731355/channel-full.JPG

JohnD
December 2nd, 2012, 17:03
Thanks guys - this helps a lot. :)

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2012, 22:37
@ Trenloe: You put a doubt in my mind, so I went to test it again... You can have two cast actions, each with its own roll, thus its own save. It looks like this:

On the mini-sheet:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/731355/channel-mini.JPG

On the actions tab of the character sheet:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/731355/channel-full.JPG
Yeah, thought about that this morning and realised you could combine them into one. I'm used to creating these entries for other people, so tend to keep them separate to avoid confusion. Thanks for pointing it out and doing the screenshots lachancery - and sorry for doubting you! :)

Blackfoot
December 3rd, 2012, 06:28
Yeah.. the combined works just fine. That's how I generally do it.. and actually you only need one cast line.. so basically 1 spell.. 3 lines.. heal, cast, damage.

Willot
December 3rd, 2012, 09:33
Do odd caster levels too in the heal/damage amounts too cause you get an additional 1d6 for every 2 cleric lvls beyond 1st so 2d6 at 3rd. so It will put those in as you level

Gadreun
December 4th, 2012, 06:16
And dont forget Willot, i have the feat extra channeling for +2 channels a day and trait that adds to DC of save - just to be a pain in the wotsit :P

Trenloe's probably thinking of me, "it had to be 'that guy' again" :P

Trenloe
December 4th, 2012, 06:37
Yeah, I am thinking that... Also thinking why do you Kiwis get The Hobbit over 4 weeks before Australia does? ;)

Not that I'm too concerned, I'll have moved to the US the day before it gets released there! :D

Gadreun
December 4th, 2012, 08:37
You are going to love it Peter has really made a great movie - i think its better than RoTK.

Willot
December 4th, 2012, 09:11
And dont forget Willot, i have the feat extra channeling for +2 channels a day and trait that adds to DC of save - just to be a pain in the wotsit :P

Your Killing me!! ;)

Gadreun
December 4th, 2012, 09:43
Your Killing me!! ;)

Im sure you will have your revenge one day soon ..hehe :bandit: