PDA

View Full Version : No Friday night society game?

Gadreun
November 30th, 2012, 08:08
i have a whole saturday spare (everyone elses friday) L2 rogue with twitchy itchy swords! :p

Skellan
November 30th, 2012, 14:17
Sorry, I am out at a friends birthday party tonight :( However I could possibly run a scenario I have already prepared at about 12am gmt
choices would be:
Icebound outpost
gods market gamble (tho this is deadly, wasnt sure about running it again)
Penumbral accords
goblinblood dead
black waters

If we get enough interest on this thread i will run one of these :)

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2012, 16:06
gods market gamble (tho this is deadly, wasnt sure about running it again)It was only deadly because of a lucky crit...

As to an evening game tonight... The only things I have ready to run are first level scenarios and modules unfortunately.

My 2 daughters and I could probably play in one of those on Skellan's list.. I've played all of them... (black waters I thought was the most fun) but I would be willing to play for no credit and my girls have only played the Penumbral Accords.

Tinculin
November 30th, 2012, 17:45
Quite happy to join in too - will be free from 12am GMT onwards!

Maeyher - level 1 Ranger

Skellan
November 30th, 2012, 18:06
Wow ok, and all-nighter is it then :P I just spoke to Illuriel and he wants to play as well so we have a full group of 6 which will be:

Gadreun
Tinculin
Blackfoot and 2 daughters
Illuriel

I will run Black Waters as there was a vote for that and I quite fancy running it again. I am cool with you replaying it Blackfoot

Start time will be 12 am Midnight GMT

Aajednee
November 30th, 2012, 18:09
ok just to confirm ive only done the penumbral accord too so ill happily join ill be watching the clock closely see you all then :cool:

oh btw my character is Illuriel :)

Skellan
November 30th, 2012, 18:28
[QUOTE

oh btw my character is Illuriel :)[/QUOTE]

Oops, fixed :)

Gadreun
November 30th, 2012, 22:05
wow i LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

soooo glad i checked back - i will be on the usual teamspeak channel at 11.30pm GMT

and Skelly mate just run the game as long as you can because you will be tired!! we can always make it two parts perhaps?

Anyway sooo looking forward to the game

ill be running Redwolfe as usual hes now all grown up to level 2!

Gadreun
November 30th, 2012, 22:25
Here's Big Red mate

Gad

Gadreun
December 1st, 2012, 08:50
awesome game Skell - thanks for staying up! hope you got a good sleep! youll notice i put a few notes on the sheet of my purchases etc.

Skellan
December 1st, 2012, 16:40
Glad you enjoyed it, I had fun with it :)

Your unsigned characters and chronicles are available here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atti5qoonh8gpbf/CUPBPBnFhM)

Please check that everything is ok and let me know if you have any purchases and/or have used items to add to the chronicle

Blackfoot
December 1st, 2012, 17:17
Stick doesn't actually get a chronicle for this one since Prindlemire did the mission on Halloween sad to say.

Daleya was missing her...
Cold Weather Outfit - 8gp
...on her last chronicle so you may as well just include it on this one.

We are a little confused about scribing scrolls in the scenario into her formula book... we need to research that... There were a bunch of them in The Icebound Outpost.

An alchemist can also add formulae to his book just like a wizard adds spells to his spellbook, using the same costs, pages, and time requirements. An alchemist can study a wizard's spellbook to learn any formula that is equivalent to a spell the spellbook contains. A wizard, however, cannot learn spells from a formula book. An alchemist does not need to decipher arcane writings before copying them.

Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll: A wizard can also add a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard's spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings). Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from his specialty school. If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into his spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

If the check fails, the wizard cannot understand or copy the spell. He cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until one week has passed. If the spell was from a scroll, a failed Spellcraft check does not cause the spell to vanish.

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to half the cost to write the spell into a spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook). Rare and unique spells might cost significantly more.Based on this.. I'd think she could add the 4 scrolls found in the Icebound Outpost to her formula book.. assuming she can make the appropriate Spellcraft rolls... I think.. am I understanding this right?

Gadreun
December 1st, 2012, 22:55
Thanks Skell ill have a look at anything i want to purchase and ill Pm you - cheers

Trenloe
December 1st, 2012, 23:05
We are a little confused about scribing scrolls in the scenario into her formula book... we need to research that... There were a bunch of them in The Icebound Outpost.

Based on this.. I'd think she could add the 4 scrolls found in the Icebound Outpost to her formula book.. assuming she can make the appropriate Spellcraft rolls... I think.. am I understanding this right?
See this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17684&page=8 posts #72 - 77 on page 8 for more info on this regarding PFS.

Skellan
December 1st, 2012, 23:56
Yes that sounds right, my server is up for a while so if you want to log in and make the rolls I will add them to the chronicle sheet

Skellan
December 2nd, 2012, 18:11
Daleya - I have noted that you have successfully learnt Bear's Endurance and Tongues on your chronicle sheet.
There are also additional scrolls that are not listed on your chronicle sheet, but are listed on the NPC's gear that you can also try to copy. These are:

scroll of bear’s endurance, scroll of dimension
door, scroll of false life, scroll of hold person, scroll of shout,
scroll of tongues; Other Gear , spellbook
(contains all cantrips and all prepared spells, as well as
charm person, feather fall, and fireball),
Transmuter Spells Prepared
3rd—haste, lightning bolt (DC 16), tongues
2nd—bull’s strength, daze monster (DC 15), scorching ray,
see invisibility
1st—burning hands (DC 14), comprehend languages,
expeditious retreat, mage armor, magic missile
0 (at will)—arcane mark, detect magic, mage hand, read magic

Tinculin
December 2nd, 2012, 18:48
Hi,

Can I please purchase a Darkwood Composite Longbow (+2str) (630gp)
Chain Shirt (100gp)

I'll sell Four Mirrored Armor (22g 5sp)
Sell Shortbow (30gp)

Thanks,

Maeyher

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2012, 22:17
Daleya - I have noted that you have successfully learnt Bear's Endurance and Tongues on your chronicle sheet.
There are also additional scrolls that are not listed on your chronicle sheet, but are listed on the NPC's gear that you can also try to copy. These are:

scroll of bear’s endurance, scroll of dimension
door, scroll of false life, scroll of hold person, scroll of shout,
scroll of tongues; Other Gear , spellbook
(contains all cantrips and all prepared spells, as well as
charm person, feather fall, and fireball),
Transmuter Spells Prepared
3rd—haste, lightning bolt (DC 16), tongues
2nd—bull’s strength, daze monster (DC 15), scorching ray,
see invisibility
1st—burning hands (DC 14), comprehend languages,
expeditious retreat, mage armor, magic missile
0 (at will)—arcane mark, detect magic, mage hand, read magic
If anything is not listed on the chronicle sheet it is not available for use by anyone beyond the end of the scenario - so the time needed and skill checks to copy spells into a spellbook have to be made before the adventure ends, the PC has to find the time within game time.

See posts 72 - 77 on page 8 of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17684&page=8 In particular post #76.

If the PC did not spend the time within the scenario then the spells listed above are not available after the scenario to copy into the PC's spellbook. Yes, this is not realistic, but it is the usual "suspension of belief" that is present at the end of organised play games - you can use gear found during the adventure, but you can only purchase gear for use beyond the end if they are on the scenario chronicle sheet. The idea being that the gold you get from the scenario includes proceeds from selling items found/looted - so spending the gold for items on a chronicle sheet is the equivalent of taking that item as a portion of your share of the loot.

Note: gear that is always available for purchase is not listed on the chronicle sheet - as you can buy those at any time.

Blackfoot
December 3rd, 2012, 01:03
If anything is not listed on the chronicle sheet it is not available for use by anyone beyond the end of the scenario - so the time needed and skill checks to copy spells into a spellbook have to be made before the adventure ends, the PC has to find the time within game time.

See posts 72 - 77 on page 8 of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17684&page=8 In particular post #76.

If the PC did not spend the time within the scenario then the spells listed above are not available after the scenario to copy into the PC's spellbook. Yes, this is not realistic, but it is the usual "suspension of belief" that is present at the end of organised play games - you can use gear found during the adventure, but you can only purchase gear for use beyond the end if they are on the scenario chronicle sheet. The idea being that the gold you get from the scenario includes proceeds from selling items found/looted - so spending the gold for items on a chronicle sheet is the equivalent of taking that item as a portion of your share of the loot.

Note: gear that is always available for purchase is not listed on the chronicle sheet - as you can buy those at any time.This probably needs to be discussed a bit.. as I, for one, would not want to waste game time on this and would much prefer to handle it with my players after the game.
I'll give you that the rules for 'finding' and copying spells within a scenario are a bit inconsistent with the rest of the PFS structure, as is Alchemist Crafting... both are legal and both bog down gameplay.

Skellan
December 3rd, 2012, 01:11
They may be angling the rule of learning during play for convention play where there is limited time afterwards to get chronicles together. I guess the real issue is making sure the scroll isnt used twice

Skellan
December 3rd, 2012, 06:20
I suppose by doing them after though the player is getting around purchasing the scroll. In game time limits may increase the difficulty of learning these durin the scenario and hence the lower costg

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2012, 06:53
I guess the real issue is making sure the scroll isnt used twice
and

as I, for one, would not want to waste game time on this and would much prefer to handle it with my players after the game.
If , by mutual consent, the GM and player/s want to indicate during the scenario that they will be taking time to try to copy spells, then factor this into the timeline of the scenario but wait until the end of the game to handle the rolls.

But, if the scroll has been used during the scenario, then they do not get to make the rolls required for free - they will have to buy the scroll. OK, so there can be arguments, "I would have only used the scroll later in the scenario only if I knew I had failed my checks to copy the spell earlier in the game" - but that will just have to be agreed with the players and GM. After all the player is actually getting the chance to get a spell for free - if they don't get it, they can still pay the money to get the scroll permanently and try once a game after that.

This is actually outside of the usual "gear gets converted to money" PFS structure, so the player shouldn't really complain too much and should also not take up time during the game trying to get lots and lots of free spells. If a GM is going to allow copying in-game, tell the players they need to research what skill checks they need to make and be ready to go during the game - if not handle it once at the end of the game, if the scroll has not been used in the scenario.

Blackfoot
December 3rd, 2012, 22:33
and

If , by mutual consent, the GM and player/s want to indicate during the scenario that they will be taking time to try to copy spells, then factor this into the timeline of the scenario but wait until the end of the game to handle the rolls.

But, if the scroll has been used during the scenario, then they do not get to make the rolls required for free - they will have to buy the scroll. OK, so there can be arguments, "I would have only used the scroll later in the scenario only if I knew I had failed my checks to copy the spell earlier in the game" - but that will just have to be agreed with the players and GM. After all the player is actually getting the chance to get a spell for free - if they don't get it, they can still pay the money to get the scroll permanently and try once a game after that.

This is actually outside of the usual "gear gets converted to money" PFS structure, so the player shouldn't really complain too much and should also not take up time during the game trying to get lots and lots of free spells. If a GM is going to allow copying in-game, tell the players they need to research what skill checks they need to make and be ready to go during the game - if not handle it once at the end of the game, if the scroll has not been used in the scenario.This seems to make more sense to me... I had not had this whole issue come up in a game until the other day, so it's good to discuss it a bit and figure out how best to handle it.
I like the option, especially in beginner games, of being able to say to the player, "OK, this is a scroll your character could copy into their book, but I don't really want to take the time to do all the rolls right now. Assuming you have some character downtime during the scenario, you are welcome try and scribe it after the game."
The question did rise about spellbooks of monsters, if a spellbook is listed in the scenario as part of the 'loot' and it is described as having all the spells that the caster had prepared within it... are those not available to copy as well.. even though they might not be on the chronicle for purchase?

This is a pretty squishy area as far as the PFS rules go... personally I think I'd prefer it if they skipped the checks and just made you buy any extra scrolls you wanted to learn... it is 'fun' to scour the scenarios for hidden 'treasures' of magical lore.. but.. it kinda goes against the basic hard structure of the PFS rules.

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2012, 23:10
The question did rise about spellbooks of monsters, if a spellbook is listed in the scenario as part of the 'loot' and it is described as having all the spells that the caster had prepared within it... are those not available to copy as well.. even though they might not be on the chronicle for purchase?
These work the same as any other item found during the scenario - you can use it during the scenario, but if it is not on the chronicle sheet (spellbooks in general won't be) then it gets put in the big loot pile and sold to give the party their GP split - then it is gone! A found spellbook has to be handled like a scroll - but with no option to buy it. So that means spending time in the scenario to allow the PC/s to try copying the spells into their own spellbook.

Perhaps a good, but not ideal, way to do it is to track the actual amount of time the PC/s are spending understanding the spell/s in the book and then copying them.

Understanding each spell takes 1 hour (if they can read the arcane magical writing) and then have to make a spellcraft check. If that succeeds they can write it into the spellbook.
Writing into the spellbook takes 1 hour per level.

This is a pretty squishy area as far as the PFS rules go... personally I think I'd prefer it if they skipped the checks and just made you buy any extra scrolls you wanted to learn... it is 'fun' to scour the scenarios for hidden 'treasures' of magical lore.. but.. it kinda goes against the basic hard structure of the PFS rules.
Yeah, I agree - but until the PFS rule change for these we are stuck with arcane PCs and alchemists sitting in the corner of the tavern at night poring over scrolls and spellbooks...