PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual Module for 3.5 only

hakfson77
November 21st, 2012, 05:09
I want to create a some monsters for my games and I was hoping there were some links out there that had the monster manuals for the 3.5 system of DND. I really dont want pathfinder. But I know beggers cant be choosers. Any links would be great.

damned
November 21st, 2012, 05:59
Forgive me if Im wrong... I dont play 3.5e but I just had a quick look...
The MM is included in the 3.5E ruleset.... well at least those from the SRD...
Just activate the module...

hakfson77
November 21st, 2012, 14:14
Looked completely for the monster manual module. Not in mine. Can u upload a copy of it plz.

Moon Wizard
November 21st, 2012, 17:51
When you run the Updater, it should automatically download.

To activate, here are the steps:
* Click on Library button in right side bar
* Click on Module Activation button in lower left corner of window
* Double click on the book icon for the "3.5E Monsters" entry
* Close the Module Activation window
* Click on the 3.5E Monsters book on the left side of the Library window
* The right side should now contain a list of all the creatures in the module to click on or drag.
* Also, there is a search box available by clicking on the hourglass below the right section of the Library.

Regards,
JPG

hakfson77
November 21st, 2012, 23:52
I looked. And I have the 3.5 spell list. I have the 3.5 basic rules. but I dont have the 3.5 monster manual

damned
November 22nd, 2012, 01:01
run the updater....

Griogre
November 25th, 2012, 23:38
Just for completeness the Monsters are in a db.mod and are only accessible by the host inside a 3.5 campaign, so you would not see them if you don't have a full or better version of FG or in manage characters.

hakfson77
November 25th, 2012, 23:48
I found them. U must make or load a campaign. Now i need to figure out how to make a monster with them

Trenloe
November 26th, 2012, 00:32
I found them. U must make or load a campaign. Now i need to figure out how to make a monster with them
Click on the link to the right of the name and drag the creature to the combat tracker. It is all ready to go for an encounter. If you want to modify the creature and use later, click-and-drag to the NPC window first.

I suggest you check out some of the GM videos available under the "Downloads" section above as this will help with using the interface.

hakfson77
November 26th, 2012, 03:53
Click on the link to the right of the name and drag the creature to the combat tracker. It is all ready to go for an encounter. If you want to modify the creature and use later, click-and-drag to the NPC window first.

I suggest you check out some of the GM videos available under the "Downloads" section above as this will help with using the interface.

Ok you lost me on the GM videos. where exactly do I need to go for them??, couldn't find the Downloads section you are refereing to

Trenloe
November 26th, 2012, 03:58
Ok you lost me on the GM videos. where exactly do I need to go for them??, couldn't find the Downloads section you are refereing to
See the screenshot below for directions to find the downloads section on this site. :D

hakfson77
November 26th, 2012, 04:03
See the screenshot below for directions to find the downloads section on this site. :D

LOL, boy if it would have been a snake it would have bitten me:confused:

Ok, I got those the monster manual up and going. when you open yours can you get mind flayers?? thnx again for all the help. Also, can a DM add templates to monsters, or do I have to manually do it

Trenloe
November 26th, 2012, 04:18
Ok, I got those the monster manual up and going. when you open yours can you get mind flayers??
There were some creatures that Wizards of the Coast deemed being quintessential D&D and didn't release them as part of the OGL (Open Gaming License) in the SRD (System Reference Document) - this includes Mind Flayers.

The list of monsters available in the SRD is here:

https://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm

For example, Beholders aren't there too as WotC sees these as Iconic D&D monsters and they own the rights to the name.

Also, can a DM add templates to monsters, or do I have to manually do it
You have to do that manually:

Click-and-drag the creature from the MM library module into the NPC list in your campaign.
Open the NPC in the NPC list and click the locked icon in the bottom left - this allows you to change the values.
Manually apply the template changes as required.
Close the modified creature window and it will be locked again and will be ready for use.
Click-and-drag to the combat tracker when needed, or put the creature in an encounter (a separate tab under the NPC window) which allows you to build encounters before the game and add all of the NPCs for the encounter to the combat tracker when needed with one mouse-click. It will even roll initiative for the creatures (if you select "Add: Auto NPC initiative" in the options menu).

JohnD
November 26th, 2012, 05:04

I don't see it. :bandit:

hakfson77
November 26th, 2012, 12:20
There were some creatures that Wizards of the Coast deemed being quintessential D&D and didn't release them as part of the OGL (Open Gaming License) in the SRD (System Reference Document) - this includes Mind Flayers.

The list of monsters available in the SRD is here:

https://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm

For example, Beholders aren't there too as WotC sees these as Iconic D&D monsters and they own the rights to the name
[/LIST]

So let asuume if i or anyone created a monster that l or anyone that looked like a mind flayer, talked like a mind flayer, had the same powers but i named it "Zoxic" it would still be a mind flayer. That sucks cause it limits which monsters you can use. I mean every likes fighting behoulders.

Trenloe
November 26th, 2012, 12:26
So let asuume if i or anyone created a monster that l or anyone that looked like a mind flayer, talked like a mind flayer, had the same powers but i named it "Zoxic" it would still be a mind flayer. That sucks cause it limits which monsters you can use. I mean every likes fighting behoulders.
The difference is that you, at home, can use them and call them what you like - get the stats out of a WotC Monster Manual or wherever.

If you produce anything for distribution (which has to adhere to the OGL if you want to distribute anything - even if it is free) then you can't use creatures that are WotC "product identity" and are not part of the OGL - that is why these creatures aren't in the Fantasy Grounds monsters module because they are not part of the OGL and so can't be distributed.

Hence the reason why you won't see these in any products other that Wizards products.

hakfson77
November 26th, 2012, 12:37
Ok. Understood