PDA

View Full Version : Encumberance and money

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 09:58
I have a Rogue with 10 Strength, he cant carry anything other than his empty backpack two short swords and leather armour for fear of going past the 33lb light encumbrance limit. I can also carry a weeks rations but ill be hard pushed to carry 50' silk rope as well which weighs 5ibs. The reason for this is that i have accumulated just under 800GP after two Society games and the weight of the gold is 16lbs.

if i carry my gold in my backpack i can wear my armour and carry one shortsword with me. Anything else and i am medium encumbered.

I realise str 10 isn't great but its not exactly pathetic either.

Is there any way i can exchange the GP for credits in the pathfinder world, or is there a banking system? Maybe i need to hire a mule to carry all my loot around on?

It seems quite limiting.

Has anyone got any clever ideas or suggestions - because im thinking of gifting my GP to a worthy cause just so i can make it to the other end of town :bandit:

bet noone robs any banks without a horse and cart!

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 10:02
Masterwork Backpack - 50gp

Treat your str as one higher for the purpose of encumbrance.

That should buy you a few extra pounds :)

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 10:10
OMG! where do i find one of those? are you sure its that cheap? something like that id pay thru the nose for! Is it available at first level?

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 10:11
is there any other masterwork gear i can buy and where do i find a list of whats available? many thanks - so wish id taken more str!

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 10:19
Advanced player's guide:

Backpack, Masterwork: This backpack has numerous pockets for storing various items that might be needed while adventuring. Hooks are included for attaching items such as canteens, pouches, or even a rolled-up blanket. It has padded bands that strap across the chest and the waist to distribute its weight more evenly. Like a common backpack, it can hold about 2 cubic feet of material in its main container. When wearing a masterwork backpack, treat your Strength score as +1 higher than normal when calculating your carrying capacity.

33 lbs. or less

34–66 lbs.

67–100 lbs.

38 lbs. or less

39–76 lbs.

77–115 lbs.

So it will let you carry an extra 5lbs.

Not bad for 50gp.

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 10:19
is there any other masterwork gear i can buy and where do i find a list of whats available? many thanks - so wish id taken more str!

If you've not yet hit level two you can "rebuild" your character however you like.

Trenloe
November 19th, 2012, 10:41
See page 24/25 of the PFS guide section "Always Available Items":

All basic armor, gear, items, and weapons from Chapter 6 of the Core Rulebook, including Small and Large-sized items. This does not include equipment made from dragonhide, but it does include equipment made from the other special materials, such as alchemical silver and cold iron (see the Special Materials section on page 154 of the Core Rulebook). All mundane (completely nonmagical) weapons, armor, equipment, and alchemical gear found in any other source that is legal for play are considered always available.
Masterwork is nonmagical, so you can buy any masterwork item in legal sources (as long as you have the money to do so of course).

Check the various equipment sections of the PRD (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) and do a search for "masterwork" to see all that is available:
Core rules equipment (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html)
Advanced player guide (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 10:43
Does that mean Alchemical arrows from Elves of Glorarion are available?

Trenloe
November 19th, 2012, 10:47
Is there any way i can exchange the GP for credits in the pathfinder world, or is there a banking system? Maybe i need to hire a mule to carry all my loot around on?

It seems quite limiting.

Has anyone got any clever ideas or suggestions - because im thinking of gifting my GP to a worthy cause just so i can make it to the other end of town :bandit:
It's not actually written anywhere in the PFS rules, but it is generally an unwritten agreement in PFS circles the gold is not included in encumbrance. People cite Banks of Abadar (the trading/merchant god), converting to gems, and such to give credence to the hand waving of encumbrance for gold/treasure.

In HeroLab the quickest way to exclude treasure from encumbrance is to go to the "Money" entry on the "Gear" tab, click on the bag icon and select "Dropped to ground". Or, under "Character" - "Configure Hero" select the "No coin weight" option.

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 10:51
wow thanks guys very helpful as usual! sorry im so new - im really tired when i come on here and it takes me most of my time just finding what i need and hardly time to read it all so that's helpful :)

Trenloe
November 19th, 2012, 10:52
Does that mean Alchemical arrows from Elves of Glorarion are available?
No, because these are not listed as legal for play for that sourcebook in PFS additional resources: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 11:00
nice try Bloodlust :P - thanks again guys im going to redesign my character with more str and slightly less dex - that should take care of the pesky encumbrance problems

I will also have read thru the suggestions from you both

cheers Gad

lachancery
November 19th, 2012, 13:44
nice try Bloodlust :P - thanks again guys im going to redesign my character with more str and slightly less dex - that should take care of the pesky encumbrance problems
Since gold is not included in encumbrance, here's something that may want to make you reconsider before lowering your Dex: the mithral shirt costs 1,100gp, weighs 10 lbs, and gives AC 4 protection and no armor check penalty. In Pathfinder Society, you are allowed to "upgrade" your equipment with magical bonuses, so, when you have enough fame and gold, you could upgrade that mithral shirt to a +1 armor too.

As for your rations, an option may be to get a pony (30gp), which, in most cases, would be able to carry stuff you don't need readily available. The other option is to drop your backpack to the ground as soon as you get in a situation where you need to use your skills, like combat.

Gadreun
November 20th, 2012, 06:38
i have decided to raise my str and dex :) redesigned character - can u buy a mithral shirt?! surely not.

Trenloe
November 20th, 2012, 06:53
can u buy a mithral shirt?! surely not.
Yes, you can - if you have the money. Mithral is a special material, and it applies to the quote from the PFS guide I referenced in post #7.

EDIT: It's not Bilbo's mithril shirt you're buying, by-the-way! ;-)

Gadreun
November 20th, 2012, 07:51
Yes, you can - if you have the money. Mithral is a special material, and it applies to the quote from the PFS guide I referenced in post #7.

EDIT: It's not Bilbo's mithril shirt you're buying, by-the-way! ;-)

Hehe! yes i am about to 'delve' into the recommendations you have made!