PDA

View Full Version : Advantage to playing Level 1 Games while Level 1.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 20:52
The Society is set up to be especially friendly to starting players. Why not, after all, the more friendly we are to new people, the more people are willing to try things out and find out how fun it is to be a part of it.

There are a few special 1st level things that newbies might not realize that they should keep in mind.
First off, there are a bunch of level 1 only games that can be replayed as many times as you like. These are specifically Tier 1 scenarios and Level 1 Sanctioned Modules. Here's a fairly complete list of them:

First Steps: Part 1-In Service of Lore
First Steps: Part 2-To Delve the Dungeon Deep
First Steps: Part 3-A Vision of Betrayal
We Be Goblins! - Sanctioned Module (1xp small module)
Masters of the Fallen Fortress - Sanctioned Module (1xp small module)
Godsmouth Heresy - Sanctioned Module (3xp standard module)
Crypt of the Everflame - Sanctioned Module (3xp standard module)
Murder's Mark - Sanctioned Module (3xp standard module)

Now the 1st three can only be played AT level 1.. but can be played with every character you have. So if you like to play a variety of characters, it's a good idea to play these scenarios multiple times ... why is this a good idea you ask? Well, here's the thing... there are only a limited number of other Society Scenarios... maybe 20-28 per season.. and there are 5 seasons (0-4).. it is realistically possible to run out of scenarios that you are able to play... level 12 takes 33xp to reach... so there really aren't enough 'Scenarios' for you to get 5 characters to level 12.

At level 2 you MAY play each of the Level 1 Sanctioned Modules ONCE and you may also play them as many times as you like with a level 1 character.
So.. once a character gets to be level 2 their options begin to be more limited... if you have played some of the standard scenarios at level 1 then you reduce the number that ALL your characters can play later on.

One other important thing to remember is that any given scenario or module can ONLY be played by a given character ONCE.. even if it falls into the group of repeatable scenarios and modules... so all your characters could play First Steps: Part 1.. but Johnny Danger the Rogue can only play that scenario one time.

I realize this is a little confusing.. but in reality they are being nice to the new folks and giving them a nice assortment of starting scenarios to try out characters with...

They also allow for a level 1 refit which is basically a near complete rewrite of your character before you play your first scenario at level 2... so you are welcome to try out different options while level 1 and see which fit your concept the best.

Skellan
November 17th, 2012, 21:04
Good post Blackfoot. Its cool that you can play these scenarios multiple times and still get credit.

In the long run, you can also get credit for scenarios you have played by gming them as well. The Society is good to gms like that.

Also, out of interest, I have bought the sanctioned module 'Murder's Mark' which is level 1 and I will be looking to run this in a couple of weeks. I will post more details about it in the near future as the sanctioned modules run quite differently to society scenarios

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 21:07
Cool.. I hadn't seen that one.. I'll add it to my list above.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 21:11
Yeah.. the standard sanctioned modules are definitely different from the scenarios, they run much more like short campaigns. Generally on FG they require 3-4 sessions to run through and you get 3xp for completing them. They do come up a little short on fame/pp but that is just based on the concept that they do not include faction missions... and if they did you might not necessarily complete them every time.

Skellan
November 17th, 2012, 21:21
Yes the fame is slightly less but guaranteed, they do tend to have better loot though and also there are sexy boons :)
I will run this on a set night each week for 4 weeks (though it may last three) and players will sign up in blood hehe. But I will sort out the details in another post soon :)

Gadreun
November 18th, 2012, 05:07
ohhh im so gutted - i have signed up for a reg game on your sat nights grrrrr. well hopefully there will be the odd Fri night game i can play in :D - or your sat morning

great post Blackfoot (rep)

Gad

Rondor
November 22nd, 2012, 00:24
Hi All:

I am new to FG and to Pathfinder but not to roleplaying. I played the original Runequest back in the day and various editions of DnD but it's been some time. I and really looking forward to playing in level 1 games with my level 1 character, Rondor Redbeard.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2012, 00:32
Hi All:

I am new to FG and to Pathfinder but not to roleplaying. I played the original Runequest back in the day and various editions of DnD but it's been some time. I and really looking forward to playing in level 1 games with my level 1 character, Rondor Redbeard.
Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds community! :-)

This thread was specifically to do with Pathfinder Society Organized Play and what advantages level 1 PCs get in regards to replaying scenarios and retraining before level 2. If you're interested in Pathfinder Society Organized Play, please read the player introduction thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

Also, there is a Basic Roleplaying (BRP) ruleset which is Chaosium's d100 system that Runequest was based on - so you may want to check that out as well.

Skellan
November 22nd, 2012, 00:32
Welcome to pfs. What times are good for you to play?

Rondor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:18
I am gmt -8 in California. I can play weekends like most others but can also be available weekdays sometimes as I am self employed. Times can vary for me from morning until evening so fairly flex.

Reliable, fairly fast learner and love to roleplay.

Welcome to pfs. What times are good for you to play?

Rondor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:19
Well met, Trenloe and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds community! :-)

This thread was specifically to do with Pathfinder Society Organized Play and what advantages level 1 PCs get in regards to replaying scenarios and retraining before level 2. If you're interested in Pathfinder Society Organized Play, please read the player introduction thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

Also, there is a Basic Roleplaying (BRP) ruleset which is Chaosium's d100 system that Runequest was based on - so you may want to check that out as well.

Skellan
November 22nd, 2012, 03:27
Great, if you subscribe to the game announcement thread, you will get email updates when games are posted. I am sure you will get a game soon

Rondor
November 22nd, 2012, 05:34
Done and thank you kindly

Great, if you subscribe to the game announcement thread, you will get email updates when games are posted. I am sure you will get a game soon