PDA

View Full Version : PFS #4–02: In Wrath’s Shadow

Skellan
November 17th, 2012, 18:52
PFS #4–02: In Wrath’s Shadow
Sunday 25th November 5.00pm GMT

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 3–7.

In the ruins of Xin-Bakrakhan—seat of power of the Runelord of Wrath—the Pathfinder Society stands on the verge of a great discovery, but first the brave agents exploring the ruins must survive ages-old dangers and contemporary threats to return with the knowledge and wealth they’ve unearthed.

Written by Mike Shel.

To sign up for this game, please post your character and previous chronicle to this thread and sign up on the calendar. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=930)
Please note: without your previous chronicle I can't accept your character. You could play a pregen though.

Bloodlust
November 18th, 2012, 01:01
Jamal Mustafa, Ranger 5, #53968-1

Gwaihir Scout
November 18th, 2012, 01:06
Looks like a couple of 6's signed up. I'll still sign up with my 4th level Oracle for now anyway. Attaching stuff to follow.

Bloodlust
November 18th, 2012, 01:07
From what I've read on the forums, this one has a high chance of TPK. I'm very much tossing up with my guy at level 5 haha.

Gwaihir Scout
November 18th, 2012, 01:09
I'll save spells for summoning. That fixes everything.

Skellan
November 18th, 2012, 01:54
Dust Raven and Trystan said they were interested in this too

Rose Claymore
November 18th, 2012, 04:00
I'm in. Though if it looks like we'll be playing up, I have a level 6 bard I can bring instead of Metropolis.

Trystan Laryssa
November 18th, 2012, 04:06
Uncertain on a few things, but would love to play, so I signed up while the spot was open.

I have my Sorcerer, and he has his previous chronicles, so once we can get everything straightened out, you should have his last sheet, since I haven't played him since your game.

HOWEVER...

I noticed we were a -bit- caster-heavy, and I'm playing a fighter tomorrow who possibly might reach level 3 before the weekend game. Not a certain thing, but if so I would be happy to bring her instead for a little more melee potential, in the event we play down.

Also, if people are really starting to go on about playing up on a scenario that reputedly has a high TPK potential, I'll bring my shadowdancer... she's level 6, would cover the rogue duties nicely, and has enough Shadow Lodge prestige to survive a TPK. ;)

Bloodlust
November 18th, 2012, 04:18
I don't mind playing up to the 6-7 (and I think we should give it a go if we can - I'm always going on about how tier 3-4/4-5s get dragged down so I'll put my money where my mouth is) but we will need a solid melee character if we are to attempt that I would think. My guy is ranged.

Bloodlust
November 18th, 2012, 13:59
I'm in. Though if it looks like we'll be playing up, I have a level 6 bard I can bring instead of Metropolis.

I'd say this is looking likely. A level 6 bard would be awesomely versatile :)

Rose Claymore
November 18th, 2012, 20:31
My bard, Wulf, is an archer style bard, so not much in the way of melee.

Skellan
November 19th, 2012, 00:49
Its up to you guys how you want to play it :) If you could get the party sorted by Saturday though, I would appeciate it :)
Also, I want to make you aware that while I am not a mean GM, I play the scenario as written and I don't fudge rolls.

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 02:48
Well hopefully between the summoned monsters and Junior distracting the front line, we should be okay for 6-7. Having a level 6 cleric and bard will make for great buffs and healing I would think :)

I'm sure we'll be okay if we're careful.

Just remember golden rule number 1: When dealing with spell casters, let them know you're coming and then bugger off while a while. From what I've seen/heard of your typical pathfinder scenario, they always cast all their buff spells and use their scrolls/potions in preparation for the combat. Let them do it, and run like hell. They will be sitting there going, "Umm, I'm sure they'll be here any moment now... I feel so totally buff! Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!!"

Is this true of all scenarios because it's what I've seen so far? lol.

Gwaihir Scout
November 19th, 2012, 05:17
Well hopefully between the summoned monsters and Junior distracting the front line, we should be okay for 6-7. Having a level 6 cleric and bard will make for great buffs and healing I would think :)

I'm sure we'll be okay if we're careful.

Ehhh, I'm not sure I should go on this one. I don't have Summon Monster II yet, so the summons won't survive any time at all at this level. The debuffs are still good, but I'll still be dead weight.

Rose Claymore
November 19th, 2012, 06:25
Wulf has summon monster II. He rarely casts it though, might be fun to get some use out of it.

As for metagaming the villain spellcasters, I've noticed any potential buffs tend to only get applied prior to combat in the case of ambushes. Only occasionally, when one combat alerts the next extremely nearby encounter of the PCs presence, do I see any "pre-buffs".

In the case of an ambush, there's not much we can do other than run away, and usually it's just as easy to stay and fight. In the case of alerting a nearby next encounter, they just as often just join in the existing fight already buffed.

I'm fine just fighting everything unless we plan on negotiating with it. I'm also fine with negotiating with everything, every time. More fun to watch those shield spells suddenly wink out in the middle of a conversation while we're still standing there. :p

Skellan
November 19th, 2012, 07:33
Please don't read up on scenarios and metagame from info gained out of game. It ruins the fun of gming for me.

Rose Claymore
November 19th, 2012, 08:01
Please don't read up on scenarios and metagame from info gained out of game. It ruins the fun of gming for me.
Absolutely! It also ruins the fun of playing. Who wants to buy/solve a puzzle if it's already solved?

My observations were solely on past experiences with encounters involving NPC who buff up prior to encountering the PCs.

Bloodlust
November 19th, 2012, 09:43
My observations were solely on past experiences with encounters involving NPC who buff up prior to encountering the PCs.

As were mine.

I've noticed it's a reoccuring theme that we all charge into the final room to take on the big bad guy who knows you're coming and swallows all his potions and uses all of his scrolls to be as buffed as possible as PCs just charge headlong into it - it's stupid really when you think about it.

I started noticing this a while ago when I'd get my chronicle sheets and see on it scrolls and potions that we didn't find and say, "Hey I don't think we found these", only to be told that they were used by the big end guy against us. It started me thinking that why should we charge into a situation where the enemy is at his finest?

The only time I've lost a character was when the big end wizard had something up that made all of my ranged attacks useless. Some sort of air thing that deflects arrows, so I was suddenly useless. I said to the guys at the time, why don't we just back out and let his spell run out? They wanted to go in anyway. Only two people survived that day.

That was also my only other time playing up in a 6-7 scenario so I know how dangerous they can be. All I was saying was that I had read the product information (as I always do to see what kind of adventure it is - different locations, etc require different tools and planning) and someone had posted there that it was a dangerous mission where parties had been tpk'ed. I was simply saying that we should use maximum caution and not charge headlong into it.

Anyone who thinks I have this scenario is welcome to acces my account and see for themselves - PM me and I'll give you my paizo log-in details.

NOT AT ALL trying to spoil your GM fun Skellan.

Rose Claymore
November 19th, 2012, 10:38
Of course, we all could go buy a punch of potions and scrolls to buff up too... :D

Skellan
November 19th, 2012, 17:53
I still need characters and chronicles for everyone please.
The only exception could be Shaela, is her last chronicle Sanos Abduction? If so, I have your chronicle and character, so you are good to go

Cheers

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 00:09
I'm hesitant to send my chronicle/character just yet, as I have a regular event with my local PFS group on Saturday, in which I'll likely play Wulf. If we are playing down, then I can play Metropolis easily enough as I doubt I'll be playing him locally.

I know that's really short notice, so if you need the info earlier, I can make sure I'm not playing Wulf on Sat and get you his info immediately-ish.

Gwaihir Scout
November 20th, 2012, 00:10
I still need characters and chronicles for everyone please.
The only exception could be Shaela, is her last chronicle Sanos Abduction? If so, I have your chronicle and character, so you are good to go

Cheers

Black Waters, actually. The only PFS I've done since then was a GM credit applied to a different character.

As listed on the calendar, we're sitting at APL of 5 once you add Jamal (Season 4 scenarios don't add 1 for groups of 6). I think I'm willing to play up, but I'm buying a couple scrolls of Shield and giving them to an arcane caster.

Oh, and Shaela's a spellscar oracle, so she's pointed towards anti-magic. As such, I grabbed Silence. Normally she'd stick it on the front-liner getting up in the enemy caster's face, but given there's a magus right there and Junior needs to take orders, it'll be trickier. I'm just mentioning it now so we can think about positioning if we run across any casters.

Skellan
November 20th, 2012, 03:27
Yeah that's fine dust raven. As long as i get all the chronicles before the game. Did you get the last one formetropolis and rayne btw?

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 04:22
Yeah that's fine dust raven. As long as i get all the chronicles before the game. Did you get the last one formetropolis and rayne btw?
Rayne has his, but I haven't received one for Metropolis.

Trystan Laryssa
November 20th, 2012, 23:23
It sounds like everybody is interested in playing up... in which case we'll be awfully silly not having my level 6 rogue along, so I'll bring her in that case.

Her papers are all in order, so I'll get my last chronicle scanned once I do an update on her sheet... should be able to get that to you by tomorrow. :)

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 23:55
I'll get Wulf in order for playing up then. Going over his past chronicle sheets I think I need to audit him. I've discovered I have a +1 buckler and a +1 mithral shirt I don't have a record of buying. I have a game tonight, so I'll do the math after or tomorrow, but will have him uploaded by Thursday.

Trystan Laryssa
November 24th, 2012, 07:31
Sorry so late... I finally got everything organized.

Here's Ashara Kharestra, my Shadowdancer Rogue:

Rose Claymore
November 24th, 2012, 07:32
Here is Wulf, as he stand now. There is a chance I'll be playing him sometime Saturday (maybe even two tables) but I have other characters if we end up playing something 1-5.

If I do play Wulf, I'll resend him and his new chronicle sheet when we get back Saturday evening.

DAWPage
November 24th, 2012, 23:25
Here is my character and Chronicle

Dave

Rose Claymore
November 25th, 2012, 00:08
Did not play Wulf today, so he's all set as is for the game tomorrow.

Trenloe
November 25th, 2012, 00:18
Here is my character and Chronicle

Dave
I'm curious - did you play a tier 1-5 scenario with a 6th level character? This chronicle suggests you did (starting XP = 15 = level 6).

Also, you should record the character details on the chronicle - name, society number, faction; otherwise this is not a valid chronicle.

Bloodlust
November 25th, 2012, 05:38
Attached my last chronicle sheet and updated xml's for Jamal and Junior.

DAWPage
November 25th, 2012, 11:29
I'm curious - did you play a tier 1-5 scenario with a 6th level character? This chronicle suggests you did (starting XP = 15 = level 6).

Also, you should record the character details on the chronicle - name, society number, faction; otherwise this is not a valid chronicle.

Yeah I messed up, I was at a con and I did not relize that I had leveled up. Long weekend made the brain fuzzy.

I had not noticed I did not fill in the top part, thanks, I will have to add the info and rescan it.

Trenloe
November 25th, 2012, 12:34
Yeah I messed up, I was at a con and I did not relize that I had leveled up. Long weekend made the brain fuzzy.

I had not noticed I did not fill in the top part, thanks, I will have to add the info and rescan it.
PM'd you...

DAWPage
November 25th, 2012, 13:57
I may have to cancel today, I may have some family comming over at the last minute, and I am not sure how long they will be here.

Attached is my previous logsheet.

Bloodlust
November 25th, 2012, 14:08
I may have to cancel today, I may have some family comming over at the last minute, and I am not sure how long they will be here.

Hope you can make it mate :)

Without a level 6 cleric I believe this mission would be too dangerous to do at 6-7 :(

Rose Claymore
November 25th, 2012, 14:14
Hope you can make it mate :)

Without a level 6 cleric I believe this mission would be too dangerous to do at 6-7 :(
We'll be fine, we have a bard! :D

I do hope you can make it though, Daw. The more the merrier. Besides, anything with "shadow" in the name probably has undead.

Skellan
November 25th, 2012, 14:36
Ok, thanks for the chronicles etc. so far everyone.

I am still missing a chronicle for tahl_liadon zah'manta 6 witch 39519-4
though

Apart from that, we are looking good to go

tahl_liadon
November 25th, 2012, 16:24
here's zah'manta's xml and token.

Skellan
November 25th, 2012, 16:42
Thanks Tahl. I need your last chronicle too please

tahl_liadon
November 25th, 2012, 16:57
sure. np.

do you want a scan of it (don't currently have it with me), or is there certain info i can post here that you want?

tahl_liadon
November 25th, 2012, 17:30
we ran late that evening and gm did not put info at bottom. however, he recorded on paizo. would that work for ya? (see attached)

Skellan
November 25th, 2012, 17:34
thanks mate - sorry to be a pain with this

Rose Claymore
November 26th, 2012, 00:25
Awesome game!

It did run a bit long, but still awesome!

Gwaihir Scout
November 26th, 2012, 01:06
Bruised, battered, and bloodied, but not beaten, the brave boldly came back from the bowels of brutality bearing baubles and bodies.

Bloodlust
November 26th, 2012, 02:26
We came, we saw, we kicked its ***!

Goooooo JUNIOR!

Bloodlust
November 26th, 2012, 04:40
Soooooo tired now :(

Skellan
November 26th, 2012, 23:04
Glad you all had fun

Here are the characters and chronicles from the session. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/brosb0cevks2rr2/CGPl-D-VBD)

Please check that they are in order. I have done a lot of chronicle sheets tonight!

Bloodlust
November 27th, 2012, 00:47
This is chronicle 15. I provided the chronicle sheet for 14 when I submitted the xmls.

tahl_liadon
November 27th, 2012, 00:56
the chronicle number is supposed to be filled in by each player, as it tracks the player's own sequential chronicles.

18 would be just the gm's current number, methink.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2012, 01:16
the chronicle number is supposed to be filled in by each player, as it tracks the player's own sequential chronicles.

18 would be just the gm's current number, methink.
Information for all involved in PFS play!

Instructions for the GM from the PFS guide (page 37):

Step 1: Hand each of the players a blank Chronicle sheet and ask them to fill out the sections marked A–G, J, K, and P (Scenario Chronicle #, Advancement Track, Player Name, Starting XP, Initial Fame, Initial Prestige, Starting GP, etc.). When they’re done entering this information from their past Chronicle sheets, have them return the documents to you.
Item A is the scenario chronicle #, hence why GMs are asking for this information before they provide a completed chronicle back to the players.

I have continued this discussion in a new sticky thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=137405

Please put general chronicle related question in that thread - if your query/comment is related to the chronicle specifically for this game, please keep the post to this thread. Thanks.

Rose Claymore
November 27th, 2012, 02:21
Mine looks good.

I had actually purchased 50 cold iron arrows, but as I didn't use up what I already had, I'm not too worried about it. I just need to make sure I do buy them next time. I have only 3 left!

I'm thinking of spending some of my prestige though, but I have no idea what's really good. I should probably hold into them, but unspent points are the same as not having points...

Skellan
November 27th, 2012, 03:57
Bloodlust, I have updated your to reflect the chronicle you submitted. I thought your last one was Black Waters. You will be 18th in no time at this rate mate :)

Dust Raven - I have added the cold Iron arrows purchase to the chronicle for you

Bloodlust
November 27th, 2012, 09:45
Thanks mate :)

18? nah, I just hit level 6 so now all of those 1-5 tier games I'm completely out of :( I think finding ganes now will be super-hard.

It's a real shame because I think we had an awesome group for this game :)

Rose Claymore
November 27th, 2012, 10:27
Thanks mate :)

18? nah, I just hit level 6 so now all of those 1-5 tier games I'm completely out of :( I think finding ganes now will be super-hard.

No more tier 1-5 scenarios. :(

Wulf would be more than happy to join in on any scenarios available to level 6+ characters.

Bloodlust
November 27th, 2012, 10:28
Of course he would - he's a bard and bards are awesome! :)

lachancery
November 27th, 2012, 13:22

Time to make a new level 1 character and join us newbs down here. We're a great bunch too! ;)

Skellan
November 27th, 2012, 17:06
I will run more higher tier in the future. It was fun to run at higher level.
Also, you have your local group running 4-5s so they should be catching you soon :)

Bloodlust
November 28th, 2012, 01:12
I will run more higher tier in the future. It was fun to run at higher level.
Also, you have your local group running 4-5s so they should be catching you soon :)

To give me a chance to play the rest of the guys played pre-gens. They all have level 1-2 characters. Going to be a while before I get another game locally :)

lachancery: As for creating another level 1 - mate I already have four characters - all pretty much the same. I've had to do that because of lack of games. I don't want to start yet another carbon copy. I'm sure you guys a lovelly, just that I'd like to play in some games that are not low level anymore. They can be VERY different and challenging :)

Gwaihir Scout
November 29th, 2012, 15:50
I'm a goof. Handy Haversacks actually cost 2000 gp, so I'll need to get one next time. Sorry about that.

There's also a couple of blank GM initial slots on my sheet.

Thanks.

Skellan
November 29th, 2012, 16:20
No worries, I have updated your chronicle

Gwaihir Scout
November 29th, 2012, 16:41
Merci.

Stupid 10-character requirement.

Rose Claymore
November 29th, 2012, 23:41
Merci.

Stupid 10-character requirement.
10-character requirement?

Trenloe
November 29th, 2012, 23:57
10-character requirement?
You need 10 characters to play this game. ;)

Only joking, the forum post system requires at least 10 characters in a post. "Thank you." would have worked (just, with the period), but "merci" - nope! :D

Rose Claymore
November 30th, 2012, 00:02
You need 10 characters to play this game. ;)

Only joking, the forum post system requires at least 10 characters in a post. "Thank you." would have worked (just, with the period), but "merci" - nope! :D
Aaaaaaaah!

lachancery
November 30th, 2012, 03:56
My feelings are hurt... That's just discrimination against us French speakers. C'est pas juste!

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2012, 16:19
My feelings are hurt... That's just discrimination against us French speakers. C'est pas juste!
I guess the french speakers just need to be more verbose than just a simple thank you.
C'est la vie!