PDA

View Full Version : FX Tab

ShotGun Jolly
November 15th, 2012, 20:45
Hey,

Anyone out there able to explain to me what the little circle in the FX tab does. when I click on it, it gives me a check mark.. but I dont see what it does anywhere..

Everything else I understand except for that...

phantomwhale
November 16th, 2012, 03:36
Sadly... I'm not too sure :) Think it means it gets shared with other players. But... not sure what THAT would mean.

It's one of the few bits of code I've left well alone since taking on SWEX

Griogre
November 17th, 2012, 00:53
PW is correct. Without the GM checking the box the Players won't be able to see the effect. This was to allow effects only the GM could use/see, or to premake an effect without "spoiling" something before you wanted to share it with the players. Check means the players can see the effect. No check means it's GM only. The default is GM only. The only effect I've ever seen much use for is Wild Attack.

Doswelk
November 17th, 2012, 11:04
How do you use it for wild attack?

Not sure how to use the FX entries

ShotGun Jolly
November 17th, 2012, 17:56
I am a little stumped on how the effects work as well. Personally I think its a glitch and it doesnt work right.

I find this very hard to communicate via typing so bare with me.

The first number in the effect (white box) can be any number at all, the second number (is the value the first number changes every cycle) which doesnt really do me any good.

What I think should happen is:
The white box is the modifier you should have for the given, wither its a + or - which you can drag down to your Modifier star in the corner.

The dark box should be the number of rounds it will last, with 0 being a permanent duration.

Currently I write the effect down so it look like this (Taunted -2) [-2] [0] (see image) This way I can drag the modifier down to the star, but i have to remember how long the duration of the effect would be.

Cause if I change the number in the dark box, it changes the number in the white box every cycle by that amount. So if it was listed as [-2] [-2] the next time it cycles it will be [-4] [-2] and [-6] [-2] and so on. Which I think is not the way it is susposed to work. OR I could be just using it wrong...

Am i making any sense?

Doswelk
November 17th, 2012, 18:47
Ah!

Of course!

No it all makes sense, the FX box is used to stored affects that can affect PCs / NPCs you can add them to the combat tracker (I did a video about it a while back), I just did not think to store them (I usually create them manually).

Thanks

ShotGun Jolly
November 17th, 2012, 21:32
yeah, but its the functionality of those two boxes which (I think) is wrong.

Doswelk
November 18th, 2012, 08:01
It was designed I believe more for powers, you cast a spell that lasts for three rounds, so you put 3 (the number of rounds the power lasts) the first box and -1 in the second box (each round remove by -1).

The trick with Savage Worlds is that when you cast a spell on another player, the counter decreases on the casters turn not the player affected by the spell, the combat tracker works it out correctly if you apply the power on another player AS LONG AS the combat tracker pointer is on the player casting the spell.

I'll dig out the video I did on this..