PDA

View Full Version : First Steps: Part 3 - Saturday, Nov. 17 - 02:00 GMT

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 20:21
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st level characters.

Dispatched on an envoy mission overland from Absalom to port city Escadar, you must weather the harsh wilderness of the Isle of Kortos before you can hope to meet with the representative of the elusive gillmen, and only then come face to face with the greatest threat to the Pathfinder Society.

Written by Larry Wilhelm.

Please join the game here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=929)

Please post your character file and the following information to this thread...
PC Name:
PFS#
Level:
Class:
Race:
Faction:
Starting Gold:
XP:
Fame/PP: /
THIS Chronicle will be #

I am open some discussion regarding time and 'Part #' (I could run any of the 3 First Steps missions)... so let me know if you have any strong thoughts on this.

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 03:49
I may change this up and run Part 3 instead... since nobody has signed up thus far it shouldn't be a problem.

kinevon
November 14th, 2012, 05:16
PC Name: Gildebrando
PFS# 3836-9
Level: 1
Class: Cleric
Race: Human
Faction: Andoran
Starting Gold: 298.58
XP: 2
Fame/PP: 4/2
THIS Chronicle will be #4

This PC can do either part 1 or part 3, but has already done part 2.

If everything went right, the XML file should be an easy import into FG2, since it was an export from FG2.

Just to confirm: This game will be at 0900 EST, so 0600 PST?

Well, a bit early, but we should be done in plenty of time for me to go off to run Silent Tide at 1400 PST.

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 14:08
I am also looking at the possibility of running this on Friday night instead... would that work better for you kinevon? Maybe at like 5pm PST?

kinevon
November 14th, 2012, 14:21
I am also looking at the possibility of running this on Friday night instead... would that work better for you kinevon? Maybe at like 5pm PST?
Almost anytime on Friday would be fine, since that is one of my days off work.

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 15:30
kinevon: Your character loaded up just fine.
The only thing I saw that was an issue was that Thassilonian is not available as a starting language, you can only learn 'ancient' languages by putting ranks into Linguistics.

lachancery
November 14th, 2012, 15:57
PC Name: (Krackae) MorQuesse
PFS# 59603-1
Class: Cleric
Race: Tengu
Faction: Osirion
Starting Gold: 666
XP: 2
Fame/PP: 4/2
THIS Chronicle will be #3

JohnD
November 14th, 2012, 16:01
If this is Friday 11/16 at 9 PM EST, I should be in with my L1 Human Ranger.

lachancery
November 14th, 2012, 16:24
If this is Friday 11/16 at 9 PM EST, I should be in with my L1 Human Ranger.
That was my understanding yes, it's moved to Friday night.

JohnD
November 14th, 2012, 16:27
Karl Dorthsson Lvl 1 Human Ranger

PC Name: Karl Dorthsson
PFS# TBA
Class: Ranger
Faction: Andoran
Starting Gold: TBA
XP: 1
Fame/PP: 2/2
THIS Chronicle will be #2

I'll fill in the "TBA" information tonight when I get home from work (and email my xml file).

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 16:48
Ok. Looks like we are good for Friday at 9pm EST. (that's actually Saturday 2:00 am GMT)
With 3 we can make the minimum with me running a pregen... but obviously it will be better if we get a few more.

rmpostman
November 15th, 2012, 02:13
hope i am doing this correctly i dont know my way around computers very good3232 note this will be my first PFS session pls bear with me on getting everything to you

kinevon
November 15th, 2012, 03:02
kinevon: Your character loaded up just fine.
The only thing I saw that was an issue was that Thassilonian is not available as a starting language, you can only learn 'ancient' languages by putting ranks into Linguistics.
Thassilonian wasn't a starting language, it came as one of the two languages gotten from taking the feat Cosmopolitan, which, like Linguistics, isn't limited to just the modern languages. He gets Common for being Human and Skald for being of Ulfen ethnicity. No bonus languages from his Intelligence of 10.

Cosmopolitan:
Additional Class Skills:
Perception
Use Magic Device
Additional Languages:
Thassilonian
Varisian

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2012, 05:19
Thassilonian wasn't a starting language, it came as one of the two languages gotten from taking the feat Cosmopolitan, which, like Linguistics, isn't limited to just the modern languages. He gets Common for being Human and Skald for being of Ulfen ethnicity. No bonus languages from his Intelligence of 10.

Cosmopolitan:
Additional Class Skills:
Perception
Use Magic Device
Additional Languages:
Thassilonian
VarisianAhh.. ok cool.

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2012, 05:21
Just so everyone is aware, the game will be using the FG teamspeak server... the address for it is listed below in my signature.

Also you will see that it says I run a 'FULL' License so all players must have a 'LITE' License in order to play.

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2012, 05:34
hope i am doing this correctly i dont know my way around computers very good3232 note this will be my first PFS session pls bear with me on getting everything to you
This file did not come out quite right. You need to use the 'Save Custom Output' option in Hero Lab and output for Fantasy Grounds.. (the 4th option). This will save your file out as a .hlfg file which can then be converted to a fantasy grounds .xml file using the FG converter found in the utilities directory of the fantasy grounds folder. ..
You don't need to worry about that part.. I'll be happy to do it.. or you can just upload the .por file and I can take care of it from there.

Gadreun
November 15th, 2012, 05:38
keen as mustard

PENDING (applied on calendar)

PC Name: Redwolfe
PFS# 68047
Class: Rogue
Faction: Grand Lodge
Starting Gold: 598gp
XP: 1
Fame/PP: 2/2
THIS Chronicle will be #2 (my second game - not played this scenario)

Gadreun
November 15th, 2012, 06:04
Here is Red.

note - i noticed my dual wielding short swords don't show +3 each like they should (-2 each with feat 2WF) and show +5 (from dex mod) - you might need to have a look into that for me - cheers. Gad

rmpostman
November 15th, 2012, 06:44
Hello blackfoot did you get my character for PFS session on Sat. Nov.17 I dont know if i sent it the right way very uneducated using comp. lol

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2012, 06:46
Hello blackfoot did you get my character for PFS session on Sat. Nov.17 I dont know if i sent it the right way very uneducated using comp. lol
This file did not come out quite right. You need to use the 'Save Custom Output' option in Hero Lab and output for Fantasy Grounds.. (the 4th option). This will save your file out as a .hlfg file which can then be converted to a fantasy grounds .xml file using the FG converter found in the utilities directory of the fantasy grounds folder. ..
You don't need to worry about that part.. I'll be happy to do it.. or you can just upload the .por file and I can take care of it from there.

Blackfoot
November 15th, 2012, 19:28
I rebuilt the character you sent me in HL from the statblock... it seems a little incomplete... but not problematically so.
You built this using the Beginner Box rules?
In standard rules you get an 'ethnicity' as a human... which can give you an extra language known... also you get an extra language from your INT... so essentially you could have Common PLUS 2 extra languages known.
Also you didn't select a faction, but that is not necessary for 'First Steps'.
I see no preference for 'Deity' either... again.. not big deal.
The last thing, you might want to take a look at is your skills.. when wearing medium armor... stealth and acrobatics are going to be very lame (-1 including your skill rank)... you might be better off buying some 'class skills' class skills give you an extra +3 bonus when you first train them... eventually those penalties will become offset somewhat by magic armor and 'armor training'...

rmpostman
November 16th, 2012, 03:24
PC Name Terian
PFS # 68111
LVL 1
Class Fighter
Race Human
Starting gold 159
XP 0
This chronicle will be #1

This will be my first tine in a PFS Adventure

I resubmitted my char used FGII Hopefu

lly I did it correctly3235

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 05:38
I will definitely be online prior to the game to make sure that everyone is up and running properly. I would like everyone to be available at least 15 minutes before the game, longer if you haven't run in any of these games before.
Please make sure that you have FG and Teamspeak loaded on your machine and working well before gametime.

kinevon
November 16th, 2012, 07:49
PC Name Terian
PFS # 68111
LVL 1
Class Fighter
Race Human
Starting gold 159
XP 0

I resubmitted my char used FGII Hopefully I did it correctly3235
Well, I do see one issue, right off the bat. PFS PCs start with 150 gold when they are created.

And "Starting gold", in this case, if I am understanding it correctly, should be the gold you have left after buying whatever gear you are using.

Feats: File shows Improved Initiative & Cleave. Presumably, your third feat, which somehow missed being shown, must be Power Attack. Hopefully, you took Cleave with your Fighter Bonus feat, so you can retrain it at 4th level, if not using the 1st level retrain option.

As mentioned, you have to take one trait, you can leave the second trait open, for now, to take a Faction trait. Or you can take both traits now.
Suggested traits:
Reactionary (+2 trait bonus to Initiative)
Rice Runner (Dragon Empires Primer, makes Acrobatics a class skill, and adds a +1 trait bonus to it)

Don't forget to pick up some arrows. Assuming 40 standard arrows, you would have 40 gp and 2 sp left from the 150 gp starting cash.

Trenloe
November 16th, 2012, 07:55
PC Name Terian
PFS # 68111
LVL 1
Class Fighter
Race Human
Starting gold 159
XP 0

I resubmitted my char used FGII Hopefu

lly I did it correctly3235
As has been highlighted, this character is not quite there yet...

Please refer to this thread for steps to carry out when first playing a PFS game: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

Item #2 in post #1 contains a link to the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play (a free download from Paizo) - chapter 2 of this guide gives clear steps to create a valid PFS character.

Also, make sure your computer is ready to go for the game - covered in post #2 in the same thread.

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 12:51
rmpostman, I have already pulled your character out of the original file you uploaded... it was 'mostly' ok.. if you show up an hour or so before the game we should be able to work out any issues.

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 13:00
Hey guys.. does anyone have an issue with this game starting an hour earlier?
I'm not quite sure why I ended up with a 9pm EST start time... it's not a problem if there's an issue, but it would be easier on me if we started a little earlier.

kinevon
November 16th, 2012, 13:36
Hey guys.. does anyone have an issue with this game starting an hour earlier?
I'm not quite sure why I ended up with a 9pm EST start time... it's not a problem if there's an issue, but it would be easier on me if we started a little earlier.
Fine by me.

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 21:21
fine by me im ready to go anytime from now on

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 21:26
this is the goldilocks zone for me you and Skellan mate

its my 10am Saturday
Skellans 9pm Friday
Your 4pm Friday

so if you arranged a 6pm EST start for any game that would be my 12 midday sat and Skells 11pm (hes a nightowl)

:D

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 21:59
Hmm... well.. everyone cant make it earlier so we'll stick with the 9pm EST time slot... I can sleep late tomorrow. :)
GMT 02:00

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 22:02
this is the goldilocks zone for me you and Skellan mate

its my 10am Saturday
Skellans 9pm Friday
Your 4pm Friday

so if you arranged a 6pm EST start for any game that would be my 12 midday sat and Skells 11pm (hes a nightowl)

:DI know.. I was shooting for a slot that fit some of the guys around here who can't make daytime games. I do often run games in slots like you described there...

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 00:23
The server is up.

JohnD
November 17th, 2012, 01:07
Just finishing dinner, installing TS on my laptop and finishing an argument and I'll be there.

What can I say... I'm good at multitasking.

avro5731
November 17th, 2012, 01:57
is there room tonight?

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 19:28
I want to thank everyone for playing last night. I had a great time... really made me feel good about running these. We had some fun roleplay which no doubt contributed to the lengthiness of the session (sorry about that guys)... but it was really fun.. I hope you all enjoyed it as well.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2012, 19:30
Everyone should have an email from me regarding chronicles.. if you haven't heard from me.. please check your spam folder. :)

Gadreun
November 18th, 2012, 05:20
was a great game - had loads of fun - sometimes wilderness trek scenarios can be a bit boring but that was very good. I am very impressed with the pathfinder society games they have clever and logical content that isnt underwhelming or for that matter overwhelming in terms of difficulty. You Dm'd very well and id like to apologise for delays while i learn - with playing regularly now i will pick things up quickly so thanks for the leeway given!

Gad

Gadreun
November 18th, 2012, 07:58
updated with purchases of masterwork tools and light xbow

i still cant work out how to get my shortswords showing off hand and main hand sorry

Gad

Trenloe
November 18th, 2012, 08:05
i still cant work out how to get my shortswords showing off hand and main hand sorry
Are you importing from HeroLab? If so, make sure you have 2 entries in the weapons section and put a tick in the "1st" box for your main hand and the "2nd" box for your off hand.

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2012, 13:43
updated with purchases of masterwork tools and light xbow

Gad
I can send you the .xml for your character from the game if you'd like to see how it was set up there.

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 05:39
Trenloe has sorted it in terms of exporting from HL - i was wondering how to manually do it in FG but it seems it might be simpler to just use HL which i may as ell use seing as i bought it!

thanks guys - are you able to send m the chronicle Blackfoot? I update my character in Piazo.

Gad

Trenloe
November 19th, 2012, 07:00
Trenloe has sorted it in terms of exporting from HL - i was wondering how to manually do it in FG but it seems it might be simpler to just use HL which i may as ell use seing as i bought it!
Press the magnifying glass next to your weapon on the Actions tab and you get a bunch of additional parameters you can edit - including modifiers in the "Atk Details" line. This is where you could have put a -2 for 2 weapon fighting.

What I'd recommend is that you have a number of different weapon entries in your Actions tab, such as shortsword single attack, shortsword 2 attacks, etc. as there will be times when you just attack with your main hand at no penalty.

Gadreun
November 19th, 2012, 07:04
yep - i really have to do some studying - watch some downloads - read some of your excellent 'how to' posts etc. Just im so busy at work and the weekend rolls around and its game time again before i have understood everything. Poor old Blackfoot has just managed to do my chronicles because i didn't realise i cant just "go shopping" on my own.