PDA

View Full Version : PFS #2-21: The Dalsine Affair Saturday November 17th 7:00pm MST

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 19:29
*Note* This will be my first time ever actually partaking let alone DMing a Pathfinder Society Scenario. Please bear with me ;) Hopefully you are in need of a DM at the moment
Also the date is different than the title

Pathfinder Society Scenario #2-21: The Dalsine Affair
Saturday, November 17th, 7:00pm MST (GMT-7)
Character Levels 1 to 7: playing tier 3-4 (depending on the demand, may change this)

Your mission takes you to the Taldan capital city of Oppara where the intricate web of political intrigue and ages-old religious conflicts threaten the Pathfinder Society’s presence in the land. When Baron Jacquo Dalsine’s cousin is implicated in a recent attack on Society allies, the situation becomes even tighter for the Pathfinders, and at the end of the day some members of the Dalsine family may not get out unscathed.

Please sign up on the calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=928) and post your character information

If I am missing anything or you have questions/suggestions just let me know.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 20:12
Crazy... you'll want to post this to the announcements thread along with a link for this thread and the calendar.

Note that this game is taking place on Thanksgiving night in the US... so that might be a bit tricky for some players.

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 20:50
I just realized that, yea the troubles of being Canadian. Alright I'm going to quickly look at my schedule and repost a new time when I get home.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 20:52
It might not be an issue... we do have a lot of non-US based players... but your time slot is going to make it tricky for Euro based players too.

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 20:59
Think i will bump it up to this Saturday. I have most of the material already ready for play. Thanks again for bringing up the thanksgiving thing again ;)

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 21:02
Well.. on Saturday.. I can play... as long as it's after the game I'm running in the morning... my 'First Steps' game should be done by 19:30 GMT (12:30 MST) at the latest.

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 21:16
Not sure if there is any way to change the title on my initial post to saturday

lachancery
November 13th, 2012, 21:58
I don't have a PFS character of that level, but I'll go sign up as an alternate with a pregen in case you're one player short in the party.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 21:59
Not sure if there is any way to change the title on my initial post to saturday
Try editing your first post and changing the title.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2012, 22:00
I don't have a PFS character of that level, but I'll go sign up as an alternate with a pregen in case you're one player short in the party.
This is tier 1-7 so it could end up being any of 3 subtiers depending on who signs up...
If you end up wanting to run a pregen.. there are 3 different levels that you can end up playing at... 1, 4, or 7... which would fit with any of the subtiers for this game... but I strongly recommend playing your own character over playing a pregen... if you can.

lachancery
November 13th, 2012, 22:04
This is tier 1-7 so it could end up being any of 3 subtiers depending on who signs up.
Game announcement post says tier 3-4, thus my response. If it ends being tier 1-2, I can play with my character...

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 23:06
It really comes to what most players want. Its a quick change for different tiers. Just be forwarned this one is notorious for being hard at the low tiers ;)

CrazyYodler
November 13th, 2012, 23:08
Try editing your first post and changing the title.

I can change everything but the title. I may be derping pretty hard though.

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 00:00
Try hitting the 'Go Advanced' button.. it should let you tweak the title then.

Bloodlust
November 14th, 2012, 00:31
Jamal Mustafa, ranger 5, #53968-1

CrazyYodler
November 14th, 2012, 00:58
Maybe you can help me out here Blackfoot. With Bloodlusts character being level 5. The Tier of the encounter is usually determined by the party APL. Am I correct in assuming this?

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 01:40
That's right.
The rules for how to calculate it are in the Guide.. but they boil down to average of the total levels Round to the nearest whole number... add 1 if you have a party of 6.

Bloodlust
November 14th, 2012, 02:11
Hopefully this one can be played at the 3-4 tier as the GM requested. There are already several tier 1-2 games being run on a very regular basis.

lachancery - pre-gen for tier 3-4 would be level 4 by the way :)

CrazyYodler
November 14th, 2012, 03:26
Yea would incorporate level 4 premades to let anyone that wants to fill in do so. Just finished creating what i need on my fantasy grounds as well. Cheers guys

kinevon
November 14th, 2012, 05:21
Well, be very careful with this one, CY, as it is NOT the easiest PFS game to GM or play. And, as mentioned, it doesn't take much effort on the GM's part to screw up the tactics and zoom into TPKville.

Bloodlust
November 14th, 2012, 05:27
Well, be very careful with this one, CY, as it is NOT the easiest PFS game to GM or play. And, as mentioned, it doesn't take much effort on the GM's part to screw up the tactics and zoom into TPKville.

Hopefully the rewards are worth it then :)

CrazyYodler
November 14th, 2012, 06:09

I have experience with actual GMing, and I have run this for a change of pace with my current local group. Only we did not use it as a Pathfinder Society Scenario. Found it challenging and nice. Was only that we just did it as a standalone adventure since we were missing our GM.

I can only hope that I have as much fun as I had before.

Thanks for the heads up none the less Kinevon ;)

lachancery
November 14th, 2012, 16:26
My availability has shifted. Friday night became free, and Saturday night became problematic. I must therefore withdraw my alternate fill-in. Hope you get enough players and enjoy!

CrazyYodler
November 14th, 2012, 16:37
My availability has shifted. Friday night became free, and Saturday night became problematic. I must therefore withdraw my alternate fill-in. Hope you get enough players and enjoy!

No problem thanks for putting yourself out there as an alternative

Blackfoot
November 14th, 2012, 17:19
Not sure if there is any way to change the title on my initial post to saturdayI was apparently mistaken.
While you can change the title on the post, you cannot actually change the title of the thread. I think Trenloe can modify it for you as the forum admin... maybe.

CrazyYodler
November 14th, 2012, 18:30
I was apparently mistaken.
While you can change the title on the post, you cannot actually change the title of the thread. I think Trenloe can modify it for you as the forum admin... maybe.

Well hopefully that won't deter people from clicking on the post ;) Also Blackfoot and Bloodlust, would you happen to have the .xml files for your characters?

Trenloe
November 15th, 2012, 00:27
I was apparently mistaken.
You (the OP) can't change the title of a thread once someone has posted in it.

I've had to create a new thread and then merge the old one into that thread (only moderators can do that).

Bloodlust
November 15th, 2012, 00:42
I'm at work now but I'll post it up tonight when I get home :)

CrazyYodler
November 15th, 2012, 01:05
You (the OP) can't change the title of a thread once someone has posted in it.

I've had to create a new thread and then merge the old one into that thread (only moderators can do that).

Thank you very much Trenloe

Skellan
November 15th, 2012, 01:24
I am up for an all nighter :D
I could try out my new librarian or bring kirsa to suit

CrazyYodler
November 15th, 2012, 03:16
I am up for an all nighter :D
I could try out my new librarian or bring kirsa to suit

Welcome to come, its always good to have a good batch of games running ;)

Bloodlust
November 15th, 2012, 10:52
Yay Skellan!

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 12:23
would love to join you guys but sadly i dont have a PFS character above 1st level yet.

Skellan
November 16th, 2012, 12:45
Alternatively, you could play a pre gen at a higher tier and apply it to your character once he reaches 4th, though personally I would rather we got xp for your character to get him up to higher levels :D You would be 2nd lvl after this?

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 12:51
There are many tier 1-2 games happening. In fact I think Blackfoot is running one of the First Steps very soon (and does so regularly). https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17702

Happy to have you as a pre-gen :) Or if the group/GM want to play it as tier 1-2.

I'd pull out if it was tier 1-2 though as I'm level 5 and that'd be crazy.

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 12:55
Honestly, I wasn't planning on running a higher tier character for this game... I'm not sure what level Kirsa is now... I'd love to get a chance to finally actually play my alchemist... but maybe I'll bring my level 2 inquisitor.

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 12:59
Well so far we have:

ranger 5 (Bloodlust)
ranger 3 (Skellan) (TBC)
something 2 (Blackfoot)

Current APL: 3.3 = tier 3-4

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 13:06
There is also this game https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17684 happening for tier 1-2. So with two tier 1-2 games in the space of a few days happening, can we please keep this at tier 3-4 to give everyone a chance to play and support the mid-level community?

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 13:17
There is also this game https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17684 happening for tier 1-2. So with two tier 1-2 games in the space of a few days happening, can we please keep this at tier 3-4 to give everyone a chance to play and support the mid-level community?
I'm not sure how that's 'fair for everyone' and not just 'fair for Bloodlust' but I can drop out if that makes things work better.

Skellan
November 16th, 2012, 13:21
You are right, it would be nice to have more higher tier games running.

There aren't that many higher level characters out there and the player base at lower tier is much bigger, so I think that's why we are getting more lower tier games.
I think you are the highest at 5 through playing the tier 4-5's I have been running and I do understand your frustration being up there on your own. It would be nice to get some people to catch up!
I am creating In Wrath's Shadow at the moment, which is a higher tier and will probably run it next sunday.
We are getting a lot of games running now with new gm's stepping up and this can only be a good thing. I don't think it will be long before there are much more characters at a higher tier and in the near future we will see more games spread between the tiers :)

Its the GM's call for this, I am happy with whatever he decides to do. (Just go with whatever suits you) The last thing I want is for you to be put off by wondering what tier to play

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 13:24
how bout this? The Dm gives me a pregen to play - Willots game starts at my 11am-3pm and this game starts at my 3pm so itll be a back to back session for me (which im fine with ) - but its my first willot game so i dont want to just dash at 3pm if for some reason we are still running - BUT we will be on same teamspeak server so ill pop in to let you know how long ill be - a pregen Level 3 cleric might be just the bees knees?

ill sign up anyway im sure we can work it out

i really just want to play - i am not so worried about character development as playing and having fun and trying to develop my roleplaying. So the character for me is always very situational. Id rather help balance a group out - i will play level 2 or 3 so blackfoot can play too - the best idea is for us to play what works for us all playing.

Gad

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 13:35
The Pregens are actually specific levels.
1, 4, or 7... so you end up playing whichever one is appropriate to the tier of the game... assuming you play one. Personally, I would never ask anyone to play one as I would much rather play my own character.

Skellan
November 16th, 2012, 13:38
i really just want to play - i am not so worried about character development as playing and having fun

Well said :D

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 13:38
I'm not sure how that's 'fair for everyone' and not just 'fair for Bloodlust' but I can drop out if that makes things work better.

Hence why I changed the wording before your post.

You yourself I believe made a post a while ago about how games are constantly being dragged down to tier 1-2 and referenced that you run first steps regularly (which I mentioned in my post) so people have ample opportunity to play games as first level characters.

Or was that someone else? Could have been. I'm not sure what thread it is in but the sentiment holds true regardless.

When you only get to play a scenario once, I don't know why anyone would choose to do it with a lower tier character for half (usually one-third) the reward.

The GM requested this to be played at tier 3-4 in his original post (though would change if needed). It isn't "needed" to be changed. We have enough players with high enough level characters available to play this.

Skellan: I'm not the only one out there with a level 4/5. As you've seen from running your games, there's now quite a few.

My point remains - with two tier 1-2 games already happening within a few days of each other, let's give EVERYONE a chance to play in at least one game please.

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 13:40
Oh ok - hmm it seems limiting to make only certain characters available when you are trying to manager getting guys from different parts of the world available at the same time with the right character levels available - its a mission!

anyway i singed up and i will just have to try and get my rogue up to l2 in time or bring him along as he is! I might see if i can get skelly to run me a one off tier 1 tomorrow night (my time) so i can get to level 2 after i have played him in your game tomorrow Blackfoot - we can do it!

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 13:40
the best idea is for us to play what works for us all playing.

Gad

Agreed mate :)

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 13:44
Or i can try and fit into the group using a L4 pregen - again i dont care about developing a character so much as filling the group out - you only have 3 players - i thought a 4th would help. Either we play with a 2 a 2 a 4 and a 5 or we play with 2, 4,4,5 i dont see a problem

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 13:45
anyway we look at it we will have 4 good dudes getting gm'd by a guy who hasnt done much (if i read right) and we can all muddle along and have fun together right? :D

ok its my 2.30am - bedtime! seeya for the game

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 13:51
Sounds like a plan Gadreun :)

To work out the maths (please correct if wrong):

2 Blackfoot
2 Gadreun
3 Skellan (TBC)
5 Bloodlust

Total party level = 12, Average party level = 3 (Thus, tier 3-4)

OR

2 Blackfoot
4 Gadreun
3 Skellan (TBC)
5 Bloodlust

Total party level = 14, Average party level = 3.5 (Thus, tier 3-4 but with a significantly higher survivability rate with a level 4 cleric in the mix)

So, either way we do the maths, it's still tier 3-4.

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 13:54
Its the GM's call for this, I am happy with whatever he decides to do. (Just go with whatever suits you) The last thing I want is for you to be put off by wondering what tier to play

Totally agreed on this point also :)

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2012, 16:48
This is in a pretty tough time slot for me... I'm getting heat from the girlfriend.
(9pm-2am saturday night seriously eats into HER time with me.. like you all need to know that)

Maybe it would be better to reschedule this one for a time when more high level characters are available to play? Forcing players to play a pregen stinks. I don't want to leave you guys hanging out to dry... but... that's my deal.

I do have 3 characters available to play this one currently... 2 inq, 3 rogue(thug), 4 sorc(undead).. or another time.. my GF and I could play our lvl 4-Cav/Ranger team.

I am completely free all day long on Saturday.. up until like 6 or so...

Bloodlust
November 16th, 2012, 18:48
I could do earlier no probs. Would mean the middle of the night for me but that's the price I'm used to paying for inconveniently living on the other side of the world ;)

Gadreun
November 16th, 2012, 21:14
Forcing players to play a pregen stinks.

Blackfoot, i could play the game with a two legged donkey and still enjoy myself - im no gymnast but i am very flexible when it comes to making things work for others. :p
I want to play as many RPG games as i can - my only chance to play is in the weekend

I my opportunities are very limited due to timezones.

I hear you about time with your other half mate - that's cool - i will bend to whatever suits you its easy for me to adjust in the weekend.

therefore

my games times im booked for so far are GMT sat 2am - 6am (your GM game) & Sunday GMT 12am-5am (willot regular game)

i am available from now (Fri GMT 10pm - sat 2am) Sat 7am - 3pm & Sun GMT 3am - 10 am

Gad

CrazyYodler
November 17th, 2012, 05:20
This is in a pretty tough time slot for me... I'm getting heat from the girlfriend.
(9pm-2am saturday night seriously eats into HER time with me.. like you all need to know that)

Maybe it would be better to reschedule this one for a time when more high level characters are available to play? Forcing players to play a pregen stinks. I don't want to leave you guys hanging out to dry... but... that's my deal.

I do have 3 characters available to play this one currently... 2 inq, 3 rogue(thug), 4 sorc(undead).. or another time.. my GF and I could play our lvl 4-Cav/Ranger team.

I am completely free all day long on Saturday.. up until like 6 or so...

Just found out that I have my inlaws coming into town tomorrow (completely unannounced. Will have to reschedual this game I believe. I'm busy this sunday with my regular in town PF group.

Was going to ask and see if you guys wanted to reschedule to next week / weekend?

Nothing like the inlaws to throw a wrench into my weekend PFS plans :cry:

Well i believe most times next week work for me, but I will run it by the significant other and see what I have. Lets see what times we can coordinate.

Had a few wanting a weekend game so maybe a fri/sat/sun spread of availability?

Gadreun
November 17th, 2012, 09:42
No problem i was gonna struggle to make it n time anyway :)

Skellan
November 17th, 2012, 09:55
That's fair enough mate. In truth, the 2am start wasn't brilliant for me anyway hehe.
Thanks very much for trying to put this on. I know how much effort goes into these sessions.

As you say, weekends tend to be the most popular but ultimately I would just go with a timeslot that suits you best, especially as this is your first one.

Cheers for having a go, I am looking forward to playing with you soon :)