PDA

View Full Version : PFS #2-01: Before the Dawn - Part 1: The Bloodcove Disguise Tuesday Nov 20 8:30pm EST

lachancery
November 12th, 2012, 05:12
Pathfinder Society Scenario #2-01: Before the Dawn - Part 1: The Bloodcove Disguise.
Tuesday, November 20th, 8:30 EST (GMT-5)
Character levels 1 to 7: playing tier 1-2 (*see below)

You are sent to Aspis Consortium-infested Bloodcove to gather supplies for a nearly doomed Pathfinder mission nearby. Disguised as ordinary merchants, you have little time to gather what you need and get out before the Consortium discovers and destroys you.

The Bloodcove Disguise is the first scenario in the two-part Before the Dawn campaign arc. Pathfinder Society Scenario #2-02: Before the Dawn—Part II: Rescue at Azlant Ridge is the sequel.

Please sign up on the calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=922) and post your character and previous chronicle to this forum to book your place at the table for this scenario.

* Note: higher level players may sign up on the game calendar and if there is a party large enough, I will schedule a re-run with a higher tier.

JohnD
November 12th, 2012, 05:58
Awesome... great DM here everyone.

Character posted in the game page, will provide xml or Hero Lab file; whichever is needed.

Gadreun
November 12th, 2012, 06:54
I wiuld love to take part - sadly i have to work during the week but that's a perfect time-frame for my Sat and Sun (your Fri & Sat evening) - if you can ever run one in the weekend i will be in boots and all!

lachancery
November 12th, 2012, 13:20
Awesome... great DM here everyone.

Character posted in the game page, will provide xml or Hero Lab file; whichever is needed.
Thanks for the kind words, John. :)

Please attach the FG XML for your character and the chronicle sheet(s) you received so far. Thanks!

Bloodlust
November 12th, 2012, 13:25
This is a great scenario guys - enjoy it :)

Unfortunately, I've already played it haha.

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 13:57
I am in :)

Character and Chronicles (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b296jb4jdfu374x/phU7nTk7MG)

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 13:59
I would do a new 1st Level Character if needed

JohnD
November 12th, 2012, 18:27
Thanks for the kind words, John. :)

Please attach the FG XML for your character and the chronicle sheet(s) you received so far. Thanks!

If everyone includes all their chronicle sheets, these are going to be big downloads pretty soon! :)

Karl Dorthsson L1 Human Ranger is here; https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1917223/Karl.rar

JohnD
November 12th, 2012, 21:09
Just a point of clarification; is this a "one shot" or is this a multiple session commitment?

Also, starting at 8:30 EST, when will we be ending?

lachancery
November 12th, 2012, 21:56
Just a point of clarification; is this a "one shot" or is this a multiple session commitment? Also, starting at 8:30 EST, when will we be ending?
Every Pathfinder Scenario is meant to be a "one shot". This particular one though is part 1 of a two scenario series. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anywhere that you must play part 2 ever, or immediately after. Perhaps some of the PFS guru could confirm/deny this?

That said, I have purchased part 2 and I will be running it, most likely in December.

Length is generally the same for all PFS scenario, around 4-5 hours. I may try to start it 30 minutes earlier to make sure it doesn't end too late.

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 22:01
Yep, I don't think you have to do both, its just nice to do :)

Skellan
November 12th, 2012, 22:15
This post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510) is really useful for giving an overview of the Pathfinder Society, as there are quite a lot of rules that make it different to normal play

Trenloe
November 12th, 2012, 22:15
Every Pathfinder Scenario is meant to be a "one shot". This particular one though is part 1 of a two scenario series. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anywhere that you must play part 2 ever, or immediately after. Perhaps some of the PFS guru could confirm/deny this?
Some multi-part PFS scenarios give you greater boons for playing them specifically in order and/or with nothing in between. This is not the case for the Before the Dawn 2 part series.

However, this is one of the few PFS scenarios where the results of your actions in the first part do have an effect on the second part - so it is cool to play part 1 first...

Blackfoot
November 12th, 2012, 22:34
Aside from this scenario, and others like it, there are also 'sanctioned modules' that are 3 part games. Modules require 3 sessions to run with the same group. Note that MODULES and SCENARIOS are different. All PFS Scenarios are 1 shots... although... certain bennies obviously apply in some cases... (as Trenloe describes above)... but playing with the same group or in a specific order is not required. Modules are more 'campaign' like... the grant 3 xp and 4 fame (generally speaking) for completing the whole 3 part mission.

lachancery
November 12th, 2012, 23:18
Some multi-part PFS scenarios give you greater boons for playing them specifically in order and/or with nothing in between. This is not the case for the Before the Dawn 2 part series.

However, this is one of the few PFS scenarios where the results of your actions in the first part do have an effect on the second part - so it is cool to play part 1 first...
Hmm, that's cool! It gives me an extra incentive to prepare part 2 quicker and try to carry the same party through part 2! :)

Trenloe
November 12th, 2012, 23:20
Hmm, that's cool! It gives me an extra incentive to prepare part 2 quicker and try to carry the same party through part 2! :)
That's what I did when I ran these earlier this year - and I gave priority to the players from the first part.

Gwaihir Scout
November 13th, 2012, 00:12
Hint: you'll want to stick around for part two.

avro5731
November 13th, 2012, 01:38
have my lvl 2 witch or can play up or down. I do that!

Manium
November 13th, 2012, 02:06
Signing up with my level 2 rogue, hoping to get to level 3-4 to play a higher tier soon.

avro5731
November 13th, 2012, 02:52
Kito and Caltrop (witch and fim)

Rose Claymore
November 13th, 2012, 08:46
I've been wanting to play this for quite awhile. Will I need a FG license to play? If not then I'm in if there is still room.

JohnD
November 13th, 2012, 11:18
If we're going to have a higher level Ranger I can make up a different PC.

Skellan
November 13th, 2012, 13:13
If we're going to have a higher level Ranger I can make up a different PC.

Nah don't do that mate, I will join with a new character. Kirsa gets xp anyway when I GM so get the xp for your ranger while you can :) I will make a new character for this one

lachancery
November 13th, 2012, 13:20
I've been wanting to play this for quite awhile. Will I need a FG license to play? If not then I'm in if there is still room.
I have the Ultimate license, so you'll be able to play with the unregistered version. I don't know if you will be able to use manage characters to create and export your character ahead of time. The easy alternative is to post here a PDF of your character sheet and I will create your PC on my host ahead of time.

Don't forget to sign up on the game calendar to be officially in the game. The link is found in my original post (can't get it now, I'm using my phone to type this message).

Rose Claymore
November 13th, 2012, 14:47
Awesome! I'm all signed up. I'm still new to FS and not too familiar with how getting the character in the program, but I can post either the hero lab file, or the converted xml thing hero lab exports.

lachancery
November 13th, 2012, 16:35
Awesome! I'm all signed up. I'm still new to FS and not too familiar with how getting the character in the program, but I can post either the hero lab file, or the converted xml thing hero lab exports.
I don't use Hero Lab; either a PDF print-out of the character sheet or the XML export will do, and I'll take care of the rest.

If you haven't done so already, you should watch the video tutorials in the downloads (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) section. The videos I'd recommend for a new FG user would be:

- Brief Overview of FG for Players (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4Kys3cMcw)
- Logging in to a game and chat commands overview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5f88SS9TU)
- Adding portraits and tokens to Fantasy Grounds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmwfid2rAU)

If you are familiar enough with the D&D 4th edition rules, the 4E videos at the top are more recent and the 4E Example of Play (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/4EExamplePlay.wmv) is interesting to watch.

avro5731
November 13th, 2012, 18:01
FG builds characters from PDFs?

Trenloe
November 13th, 2012, 18:03
FG builds characters from PDFs?
Nope. GMs build characters from PDFs! ;)

avro5731
November 13th, 2012, 18:09
So then, the XML would be faster in creating a character, right?

Trenloe
November 13th, 2012, 18:34
So then, the XML would be faster in creating a character, right?
Yes, an XML export from Fantasy Grounds is the best as this is just imported straight into the campaign by the GM and the player gets what they had in their Fantasy Grounds in the GMs campaign. See this thread for the various options in a preferred order: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16961

JohnD
November 13th, 2012, 18:38
If you want to be nice to your DM, don't make him enter everything manually unless it absolutely can't be avoided.

Skellan
November 14th, 2012, 00:15
As there are 7 players in the queue for this, I will drop out and give someone else a chance :)

lachancery
November 14th, 2012, 00:24
As there are 7 players in the queue for this, I will drop out and give someone else a chance :)
There are three (including you) with level 3 characters. Should I keep you in as a potential for tier 3-4?

avro5731
November 14th, 2012, 00:25
can bring Fuma (lvl 4 fighter) if need be.

lachancery
November 14th, 2012, 00:38
It looks like we almost have enough for two parties at tier 1-2 and tier 3-4. Here's what the interest looks like at the time of this post:

Tier 1-2

mgholson: Human Wizard 1
Manium: Human Rogue 2
JohnD: Human Ranger 1
Dust Raven: ? Alchemist 2

Tier 3-4

Skellan: Human Ranger 3
avro5731: ? Fighter 4
deguello: Half-orc Barbarian 3

Skellan
November 14th, 2012, 01:46
There are three (including you) with level 3 characters. Should I keep you in as a potential for tier 3-4?

Sounds good to me :)

avro5731
November 14th, 2012, 02:04
I signed up with my lvl 2 - Kito - so i could play either way... that is if In Laws don't show. Wife said they may come visit :(

JohnD
November 14th, 2012, 16:55
If everyone includes all their chronicle sheets, these are going to be big downloads pretty soon! :)

Karl Dorthsson L1 Human Ranger is here; https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1917223/Karl.rar
Please note that by game time this iteration will not be the current version (playing First Steps #3 on 11/16)... I'll update ASAP after the game.

Skellan
November 15th, 2012, 16:56
Toblisi, you still have a chronicle to collect from me. I just need to sort out your detail and i will get it made up for you :)

Rose Claymore
November 17th, 2012, 04:44
I'm waiting for a potential Chronicle sheet for Wirblesturm, my alchemist. I'm playing with a group across town tomorrow, and not sure if I'll be playing Wirble or my higher level bard. I'll have an xml of him by Sunday though.

Rose Claymore
November 18th, 2012, 22:04
Looks like Wirbelsturm didn't see play yesterday, so here is he (hopefully converted correctly) and his last chronicle sheet:

Note: Had some trouble uploading the scan of the chronicle sheet. If it's not a good enough quality scan to read I'll find an alternate method of getting it to you.

rmpostman
November 18th, 2012, 23:53
Hope i did this right

lachancery
November 19th, 2012, 00:31
Hope i did this right
At the moment, the scenario is full at 6 players. I'll put you on the standby list; sounds good?

rmpostman
November 19th, 2012, 04:17
yes ty lachancery i will be watching the fg board

deguello
November 20th, 2012, 00:14
Toblisi
Here is my Character standby for Chronicles

JohnD
November 20th, 2012, 01:36
I've had a conflict come up tomorrow night so I guess rmpostman can take my place.

rmpostman
November 20th, 2012, 02:04
John hope its not anything serious and ty for mentioning me for replacing you if it turns out you can play i will turn it back to you and lachancery let me know if i did my character right

lachancery
November 20th, 2012, 02:29
As the game is tomorrow night, I have reviewed the information I have for each character. I have listed items for each character below; please send me the information:

Deguello (Toblisi): I need your last chronicle sheet, and please confirm if you have received the Evoking Day boon chronicle.

Mgholson (?): I have nothing; I need the PFS-ID, the character XML & the faction since this will be a new character.

Manium (Merric): I need your last chronicle sheet, and please confirm if you have received the Evoking Day boon chronicle.

Avro5731 (Kito Eerloos): I need your last chronicle sheet, and please confirm if you have received the Evoking Day boon chronicle.

Dust Raven (Wirbelsturm): Could you confirm that your last chronicle sheet is #3 (next will be the 4th chronicle sheet), and please confirm if you have received the Evoking Day boon chronicle.

Rmpostman (Terian): You sent me your incomplete character XML. I have asked Blackfoot (GM of First Step 3) to send me your character XML; please delete the one you have, GMs can't use it, and I'll send you the complete XML after tomorrow's game. Could you confirm that you have played only in Friday's game so far? I will need to know which faction you belong to; easiest is to send me your last chronicle sheet.

lachancery
November 20th, 2012, 02:38
Things to think about before tomorrow night's game

1) The party's average level is 2, and there are 6 characters (1x3rd, 3x2nd, 2x1st). That sets the power level to 3, but there are two level 1 characters, including one melee fighter. Since the 3rd level character is a melee barbarian, I am tempted to play up the scenario to tier 3-4, but that could be too challenging. Unless I am mistaken, I believe the party can choose to play at tier 1-2. So that will be the first discussion at the beginning of the game. If any of you have higher level character you would wish to have on stand-by for tier 3-4, please post them and I'll have them loaded up.

2) You will be travelling to tropical weather with high heat and humidity. At the beginning of the game, before leaving Absalom, I will give you the opportunity to buy or change your gear, if you wish. (PS: There are rules for high heat in the Pathfinder Core Book.)

rmpostman
November 20th, 2012, 02:52
I apologize for char xml i am new to pathfinder and yes fri. game was my first game.
and im at a lost on chronicle sheets where do i receive my chronicle sheet and again I apologize for any inconvenience i am causing as i know i should have all this ready for all gm's
faction is grand lodge

lachancery
November 20th, 2012, 02:58
I apologize for char xml i am new to pathfinder and yes fri. game was my first game.
and im at a lost on chronicle sheets where do i receive my chronicle sheet and again I apologize for any inconvenience i am causing as i know i should have all this ready for all gm's
faction is grand lodge
Don't worry about it, you have the newb innocence sphere around you for a little while longer. ;) Check the inbox for the email address you gave Blackfoot. He has sent me my chronicle sheets this week-end, so you should have yours there as well. They are PDF documents (you should have two because of the Evoking Day Boon we get for playing before Dec. 3rd).

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 04:26
Dust Raven (Wirbelsturm): Could you confirm that your last chronicle sheet is #3 (next will be the 4th chronicle sheet), and please confirm if you have received the Evoking Day boon chronicle..

My last chronicle was indeed my third for Wirblesturm. He's barely level 2 and Bloodcove Disguise will be his 4th chronicle.

I have received the Evoking Day boon, but it's applied to a different character (a kitsune sorcerer I'm using for home games).

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 04:38
Things to think about before tomorrow night's game

1) The party's average level is 2, and there are 6 characters (1x3rd, 3x2nd, 2x1st). That sets the power level to 3, but there are two level 1 characters, including one melee fighter. Since the 3rd level character is a melee barbarian, I am tempted to play up the scenario to tier 3-4, but that could be too challenging. Unless I am mistaken, I believe the party can choose to play at tier 1-2. So that will be the first discussion at the beginning of the game. If any of you have higher level character you would wish to have on stand-by for tier 3-4, please post them and I'll have them loaded up.

2) You will be travelling to tropical weather with high heat and humidity. At the beginning of the game, before leaving Absalom, I will give you the opportunity to buy or change your gear, if you wish. (PS: There are rules for high heat in the Pathfinder Core Book.)
I'm okay playing either up or down. I've never played an alchemist though (or a gnome for that matter) so having an easy go might be better for me at least. If we want to play up I'm all for that as well. Wirbel has only 3 scenarios behind him and could use the higher tier GP.

As for what we might need to buy before heading out, is pirate clothes good enough to handle hot temperatures? If not I'll probably just prepare an endure elements elixir each day.

lachancery
November 20th, 2012, 04:45
As for what we might need to buy before heading out, is pirate clothes good enough to handle hot temperatures? If not I'll probably just prepare an endure elements elixir each day.
Well, pirates clothes are great if you wish to pass for a pirate, but they don't offer any protection against the heat. ;) The high heat rules should impact only a) low constitution players and b) medium/heavy armor or encumbrance.

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 04:51
Well, pirates clothes are great if you wish to pass for a pirate, but they don't offer any protection against the heat. ;) The high heat rules should impact only a) low constitution players and b) medium/heavy armor or encumbrance.
Well, Wirbel is Con 12, and wears light armor, so he'll probably be okay. I'm planning on leaving all my elixirs unprepared throughout the day anyway since it only takes a minute to prepare one. If I start to feel overheated, I can fix it. :) Everyone else is on their own though. ;)

rmpostman
November 20th, 2012, 05:03
Lachancery

Evidently my daughter had cleared my e-mail when i was at work got Blacfoot to send files again hope these are right lol

Manium
November 20th, 2012, 19:59
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tonight. I just got called in to work today and will have to step out for someone else.

Rose Claymore
November 20th, 2012, 22:38
I may have missed it, but do we have server and teamspeak info yet?

lachancery
November 20th, 2012, 22:55
I may have missed it, but do we have server and teamspeak info yet?

Teamspeak Server: fgts.servegame.com

Server address: firm roll xeno gate

deguello
November 20th, 2012, 23:19
Hey I am going to bow out of tonights game.

i still dont have my last chronicle. but thats not the reason.

Wife served me with divorce papers. I am just not in the mood . I am sorry for this late notice..

avro5731
November 20th, 2012, 23:45
wow dude sorry to hear that... my wife did the same a few years back. Took 4 years but we worked it out. Been married 15 years now. PM me if you want to chat.

avro5731
November 21st, 2012, 00:02
If we are still on tonight

lachancery
November 21st, 2012, 00:13
Hey I am going to bow out of tonights game.

Wife served me with divorce papers. I am just not in the mood . I am sorry for this late notice..
Ugh! Don't worry about it and totally understandable. Good luck for whatever your next steps are.

Gwaihir Scout
November 21st, 2012, 00:28
Tonight's game, starting in less than 2 hours, has lost 3 players, and the player in the 4th slot still has not replied. If you are available tonight and have never played the scenario PFS #2-01 Bloodcove Disguise, please check the forum thread to join us. Unless we get multiple players joining, we will be playing it at tier 1-2.

If you need a fourth, I'll play a pregen so you don't have to.

avro5731
November 21st, 2012, 01:22
no one on chat and server not up or is it me

Rose Claymore
November 21st, 2012, 01:27
I'll be signing on in about 5 min. we start in 20, yes?

avro5731
November 21st, 2012, 01:56
new toon for lvl 1

lachancery
November 21st, 2012, 13:51
Thanks everyone for the game last night. We had great role play and lots of good laughs!

I'll get cracking on the chronicle sheets. Please let me know if you intend to buying anything.

And also many thanks to Blackfoot, Gwaihir Scout and Trenloe for all offering to play a pregen character to fill up the minimum party. Gwaihir ended up playing Kyra dressed down as a pirate, showing off some skin and being proposed (without her hearing) as a prize to an Aspis Consortium lad... ...and called "bitch" by an evil plump, self-conscious, territorial, female Consortium captain. :p

Gwaihir Scout
November 21st, 2012, 14:06
Thanks everyone for the game last night. We had great role play and lots of good laughs!

I'll get cracking on the chronicle sheets. Please let me know if you intend to buying anything.

And also many thanks to Blackfoot, Gwaihir Scout and Trenloe for all offering to play a pregen character to fill up the minimum party. Gwaihir ended up playing Kyra dressed down as a pirate, showing off some skin and being proposed (without her hearing) as a prize to an Aspis Consortium lad... ...and called "bitch" by an evil plump, self-conscious, territorial, Consortium captain. :p

She had the time of her life. She greatly appreciated the bard's help with her disguise.

Yeah, the king of all spoony bards made it...interesting. Fun game, though.

Rose Claymore
November 21st, 2012, 14:20
I had a blast! Literally. Sorry for missing so many attack rolls with my bombs. :D

There were a few things I wanted to buy, specifically 2 flasks of acid to replace the ones I used, 2 potions of endure elements, and I was thinking of picking up a proper ranged weapon, provided I have the strength to hold one. I'll look over my options after I get some sleep. Sunlight bad. Sleep good.

But speaking of monies... How do you want to adjudicate day job rolls? If you'll allow us to take 10, I got a 21 (not sure if taking ten is even allowed on a day job check).

Also, I wanted to know how I go about learning new spells/extracts. I don't think I can use scrolls as I can't activate them, but can I hire a wizard/alchemist to teach me a spell (for a fee) and then scribe it into my formula book the same as wizards? And if so, how many can I learn during/after each scenario and when/how do I make the Spellcraft checks on Fantasy Grounds?

That's probably a lot of questions all at once. I've never played a prepared arcane caster of any kind before so I'm still figuring out most of it.

JohnD
November 21st, 2012, 18:40
Sounds like you guys had a great evening... I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Trenloe
November 21st, 2012, 20:14
But speaking of monies... How do you want to adjudicate day job rolls? If you'll allow us to take 10, I got a 21 (not sure if taking ten is even allowed on a day job check).
Yes, taking 10 is allowed - see page 22 of the PFS guide.

Also, I wanted to know how I go about learning new spells/extracts. I don't think I can use scrolls as I can't activate them, but can I hire a wizard/alchemist to teach me a spell (for a fee) and then scribe it into my formula book the same as wizards? And if so, how many can I learn during/after each scenario and when/how do I make the Spellcraft checks on Fantasy Grounds?
For Pathfinder Society the main ways to get new spells (beyond the new spells gained when increasing in level) is to buy a scroll and scribe it into your spellbook/extract book or to get access to a spellbook if it is listed in a creatures "gear" entry in the statblock. See this entry in the PFS FAQ: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/faq#v5748eaic9osh which also references page 219 of the core rulebook - "Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook" section of the Magic chapter.

Remember that you need to make a spellcraft check to scribe the scroll into your spell/extract book (as detailed on page 219 of the core rulebook) so you must do this spellcraft roll in the presence of a GM - either at the end of your last adventure or you will have to wait until during your next adventure. If the check succeeds, you can write it into your book and pay the cost of the writing materials - then enter it into the "items bought" section of the relevant chronicle and get the GM to initial the entry. Also remember to track the purchase and use of any scrolls on the chronicle sheet too.

Remember that until you have 5 fame, you are limited to purchasing level 0 and 1 scrolls only, once you get to 5 fame you can purchase magic items up to 500gp from your faction (which covers scrolls up to level 3). As you should have 5 fame by the time you can use 2nd level spells/extracts this is probably a moot point... :-)

avro5731
November 21st, 2012, 20:35
Wooot thanks again for running has a great time...

taking 10 on a day job gives me a 18 dance star....

Rose Claymore
November 22nd, 2012, 00:48
For Pathfinder Society the only way to get new spells (beyond the new spells gained when increasing in level) is to buy a scroll and scribe it into your spellbook/extract book. See this entry in the PFS FAQ: https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/faq#v5748eaic9osh which also references page 219 of the core rulebook - "Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook" section of the Magic chapter - but you are only limited to scribing scrolls in PFS, not gaining access to someone's spellbook.

Remember that you need to make a spellcraft check to scribe the scroll into your spell/extract book (as detailed on page 219 of the core rulebook) so you must do this spellcraft roll in the presence of a GM - either at the end of your last adventure or at the beginning of your next. If the check succeeds, you can write it into your book and pay the cost of the writing materials - then enter it into the "items bought" section of the relevant chronicle and get the GM to initial the entry. Also remember to track the purchase and use of any scrolls on the chronicle sheet too.

Remember that until you have 5 fame, you are limited to purchasing level 0 and 1 scrolls only, once you get to 5 fame you can purchase magic items up to 500gp from your faction (which covers scrolls up to level 3). As you should have 5 fame by the time you can use 2nd level spells/extracts this is probably a moot point... :-)
Okay, quick question: do I need to be able to cast/prepare extracts of a certain level in order to copy those spells into my book? Example, If I am 2nd level and cannot yet cast 2nd level spells, can I understand and copy a 2nd (or higher) level spell?

Another quick question: Do I need to make a spellcraft roll to decipher the scroll I purchased/is on my chronicle sheet, or is it assumed it's properly deciphered. The FAQ seems to imply I only need to make the spellcraft check to scribe the spell into spellbook.

Okay, one more question: If I have scrolls listed on my past chronicle sheets, but haven't yet scribed them into my spellbook, can I still go back and do so? For example, if my 1st chronicle included a scroll of invisibility, do I have to learn it then or can I wait until several scenarios later (and if I fail the spellcraft check, when am I allowed, if ever, to attempt a retry)?

Gwaihir Scout
November 22nd, 2012, 01:58
Okay, quick question: do I need to be able to cast/prepare extracts of a certain level in order to copy those spells into my book? Example, If I am 2nd level and cannot yet cast 2nd level spells, can I understand and copy a 2nd (or higher) level spell?

Another quick question: Do I need to make a spellcraft roll to decipher the scroll I purchased/is on my chronicle sheet, or is it assumed it's properly deciphered. The FAQ seems to imply I only need to make the spellcraft check to scribe the spell into spellbook.

Okay, one more question: If I have scrolls listed on my past chronicle sheets, but haven't yet scribed them into my spellbook, can I still go back and do so? For example, if my 1st chronicle included a scroll of invisibility, do I have to learn it then or can I wait until several scenarios later (and if I fail the spellcraft check, when am I allowed, if ever, to attempt a retry)?

1) Yes, you can transcribe formulae/spells you can't use yet.

2) I believe purchasing a scroll means you don't need to decode it. Somebody in the party needs to figure out what found scrolls are.

3) You can only transcribe scrolls while they're in your possession. If there's no time during the scenario, the GM should give you one shot afterwards, before the official end of the scenario. After that, you have to buy them.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2012, 02:08
You can copy any spell that is on your Alchemist Formulae lists - for all levels. Of course, you can't use the formula to prepare an extract until you are at sufficient level.

The FAQ says "The wizard only needs to spend the time, succeed on the appropriate checks, and spend the amount of gold listed on the table on page 219 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook." - note the plural of appropriate checks. If you can't read magic, then you will need to try to decipher the scroll first.

So:

If the scroll was found during the current adventure and the adventure is still in progress you do not need to buy the scroll for any attempts made in the scenario. Once the scenario ends you must purchase the scroll as normal to be able to try to copy the spell. Or, buy a scroll based on your current fame based buying power.
If you can't read magic, then make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell's level) to understand the arcane magical writing.
Spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level).
If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into his spellbook. Pay the cost of the materials and spend 1 hour per spell level copying it into the book.

Steps 2 -4 are detailed in the core rule page 219 (and the end of the magic chapter in the PRD).

Okay, one more question: If I have scrolls listed on my past chronicle sheets, but haven't yet scribed them into my spellbook, can I still go back and do so? For example, if my 1st chronicle included a scroll of invisibility, do I have to learn it then or can I wait until several scenarios later
If you don't want to pay for the scroll you have to go through the above procedure (and succeed) before the scenario ends. Otherwise you will have to buy the scroll at the end of the scenario (or buy it from a past chronicle sheet) and then do the relevant spellcraft checks with a GM present.

(and if I fail the spellcraft check, when am I allowed, if ever, to attempt a retry)?
If during a scenario, step 2 above can be tried each day, but for step 3 you need to wait a week.

If outside of a scenario, the usual process is to allow 1 check for each item while the admin tasks are being carried out at the end of a scenario when a GM is present.

For us on Fantasy Grounds, the end of scenario admin phase is mostly carried out over email/forum posts afterwards. You are allowed to take 10 on spellcraft checks, so it is possible to automatically pass if you have a high enough bonus - but perhaps not for the "read magic" test... If you can't pass with a take 10, then you will need to organise the GM to witness your roll before they finalise the chronicle for the scenario. After the chronicle is finalised and signed by the GM, you will have to wait to try during the next scenario (if you have sufficient time) and/or during the admin phase at the end.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2012, 02:16
2) I believe purchasing a scroll means you don't need to decode it. Somebody in the party needs to figure out what found scrolls are.
Not correct when related to understanding the spell sufficiently enough to copy it into your spell book. From the Magic chapter of the core rules (page 291) - "arcane magical writings" section:

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in another's spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell's level). If the skill check fails, the character cannot attempt to read that particular spell again until the next day. A read magic spell automatically deciphers magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.
And from the "Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook" section on the same page:

A wizard can also add a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard's spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings).
For most wizards they just memorise the "Read Magic" cantrip and can decipher the scroll automatically. But alchemists will need to perform the spellcraft check.

rmpostman
November 22nd, 2012, 02:29
Had a great time last night everyone and ty to lachancery for being an awesome gm John D was right awesome gm let you know what i will be buying and or changing

rmpostman
November 22nd, 2012, 05:32
Lachancery

I will not buy or change anything at this time

Rose Claymore
November 22nd, 2012, 06:05
Okay, for items purchased, I'd like to purchase a mithral shirt (or a mithral chain shirt to be specific, as we're keeping to the always available list), a light crossbow, 10 cold iron crossbow bolts, 2 acid flasks, & 2 potions of endure elements.

I would also like to sell my chain shirt.

I'm considering buying some poisons, seeing as I just realized that as an alchemist I have the poison use ability and I've never used poisons before. Could be fun. I'll probably pass for now though. Would anyone know how long a dose of poison lasts after it's been applied to a weapon/piece of ammunition? Keeping a case of poisoned crossbow bolts sounds useful. :D

I'll also not worry about learning new spells just yet. My spellcraft is high I could take 10 and learn a 1st or 2nd level spell, but not even close to deciphering a scroll. And I'll never have read magic.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2012, 07:21
I'm considering buying some poisons, seeing as I just realized that as an alchemist I have the poison use ability and I've never used poisons before. Could be fun. I'll probably pass for now though. Would anyone know how long a dose of poison lasts after it's been applied to a weapon/piece of ammunition? Keeping a case of poisoned crossbow bolts sounds useful. :D
Rules as written don't state anything for how long the poison lasts. There is a useful post on the Paizo website, but not an official answer (i.e. no one from a rules point of view in Paizo answered): https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2o6s9?Snappy-Answers-to-Stupid-Questions-on-Poison

I guess the thinking from the d20 SRD is that if poison on a poison needle trap can stay potent for essentially forever (until used or wiped off), then the same can be said for poison on a weapon.

rmpostman
November 22nd, 2012, 08:37
Was looking at character sheet i think i am missing a trait if so would i be able to pick second trait?

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 13:55
Was looking at character sheet i think i am missing a trait if so would i be able to pick second trait?
Yes, indeed you are missing a second trait and you should pick a second one. The full list of traits is available here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits). Let me know which one you want and I'll add it to your character sheet before posting back Terian's XML.

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 13:58
Had a great time last night everyone and ty to lachancery for being an awesome gm John D was right awesome gm let you know what i will be buying and or changing
Thanks for the nice compliment! The group dynamics gelled great; didn't see the time fly when I had to wrap up the scenario. :)

PS: The prank you played on avro's character (Wiggie) was hilarious! :)

rmpostman
November 22nd, 2012, 14:12
OK Lachancery was looking at traits dont know if i could get this trait now but if i can would like rich parents if not then i would go with bully

TY

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 15:15
OK Lachancery was looking at traits dont know if i could get this trait now but if i can would like rich parents if not then i would go with bully
Rich Parents is not a legal trait in Pathfinder Society. The list of legal traits can be found in the Additional Resources (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources) section of the PFS Player Resources site.

I'll go with Bully then. Combined with the killer trait, that makes for an interesting upbringing... And Terian is now a 5' 4" , STR 18 greataxe wielding man. I can so imagine this short little angry man... ;)

Another touch you could make to finalize Terian is to pick the human ethnicity he is from. The book I'd recommend for this is the Inner Sea World Guide, but the pathfinder wiki also has the information I believe.

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 16:48
Here are the chronicles for the game. Please verify their accuracy.

Other GMs who have made chronicle sheets before, could you also double-check that I've done it right please?

rmpostman
November 22nd, 2012, 17:23
Lachancery I have been looking for Day Job info can you please let me know where i can get info on day jobs

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 17:32
Lachancery I have been looking for Day Job info can you please let me know where i can get info on day jobs
On the Player Resources (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/playerResources) page on Paizo's site, you can get (if you don't have it already) the free Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play (https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4) PDF. On page 22, you will see a paragraph on day jobs.

Specifically, you can roll for a day job when you have either a craft, profession or perform skill developed. The roll is looked up on the table on page 22 to determine how much gold you get for your day job.

avro5731
November 22nd, 2012, 17:41
looks good thanks again for running.

Rose Claymore
November 22nd, 2012, 18:42
Just a few issues with my chronicle:

I started with 3 XP, so I'd total 4 with this chronicle.
I must sell my chain shirt for 1/2 value, so it would only sell for 50 gp instead of 100. (EDIT: Actually, looks like it says 50gp in the right column, but 100 under items sold which threw me off, this looks ok.)
If i take 10 on my day job check, I'd total 21 for 20 gp. My Craft (alchemy) check is +11. (I think you may have used my check for Profession (sailor) but I'd rather use alchemy.)

lachancery
November 22nd, 2012, 22:30
I started with 3 XP, so I'd total 4 with this chronicle.
I must sell my chain shirt for 1/2 value, so it would only sell for 50 gp instead of 100. (EDIT: Actually, looks like it says 50gp in the right column, but 100 under items sold which threw me off, this looks ok.)
If i take 10 on my day job check, I'd total 21 for 20 gp. My Craft (alchemy) check is +11. (I think you may have used my check for Profession (sailor) but I'd rather use alchemy.)
My bad for the XP, my mind shorted; I had in mind the resulting XP and ended up putting it as starting XP.

On your character sheet, your craft(alchemy) is +9. Could you help me figure out where the missing +2 is from?

Indeed, the chronicle sheet works by putting in the item value and halves it in the columns on the right.

Rose Claymore
November 23rd, 2012, 00:00
I have +2 circumstance bonus from my Alchemy class feature (+1/level on crafting alchemical items with Craft (alchemy)).

Total would be Ranks: 1, Int bonus +3, class skill +3, gnome obsessive racial trait +2 and alchemy class feature +2 = 11

lachancery
November 23rd, 2012, 01:38
I have +2 circumstance bonus from my Alchemy class feature (+1/level on crafting alchemical items with Craft (alchemy)).

Total would be Ranks: 1, Int bonus +3, class skill +3, gnome obsessive racial trait +2 and alchemy class feature +2 = 11
Got it, thanks. Heads up for your next game, you'll need to add one of the +2 to the skill. Oh, and I also noticed when I was doing your transactions on your chronicle sheet that you had a medium encumbrance; you'll need to apply the appropriate penalties unless you drop some gear.

Attached is your updated chronicle sheet.

lachancery
November 23rd, 2012, 01:41
Here's the updated XML for Terian. He's all ready to go for his next adventure as is; I've added the bully trait and updated your gold pieces & XP.

Rose Claymore
November 23rd, 2012, 02:15
Got it, thanks. Heads up for your next game, you'll need to add one of the +2 to the skill. Oh, and I also noticed when I was doing your transactions on your chronicle sheet that you had a medium encumbrance; you'll need to apply the appropriate penalties unless you drop some gear.

Attached is your updated chronicle sheet.
Thank you, and noted.

I'll have to figure out how to add the extra +2 next time I play. I use Hero Lab to keep track of my stats, and it adds the Alchemy bonus as a situational circumstance bonus (because there are sometimes you make a craft check when not actually crafting... I guess). I'd rather not fiddle with Hero Lab, but I can probably fiddle with the xml export/conversion file I end up uploading, or just adjust something once it's in FG.

As for my encumbrance, that's my fault for not remembering to say "I drop my pack" at the start of each combat. Right now I have over 10 pounds in the backpack which brings me well into light. Hopefully a few more scenarios from now I'll have gold (and fame score) to buy a handy haversack and not have to worry about it.

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2012, 02:28
I'll have to figure out how to add the extra +2 next time I play. I use Hero Lab to keep track of my stats, and it adds the Alchemy bonus as a situational circumstance bonus (because there are sometimes you make a craft check when not actually crafting... I guess).
Correct, sometimes craft checks aren't for making things (although it's very rare), an alchemist can also use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions - and this does not include the +1/level. From the Alchemist character class:

When using Craft (alchemy) to create an alchemical item, an alchemist gains a competence bonus equal to his class level on the Craft (alchemy) check. In addition, an alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.

I'd rather not fiddle with Hero Lab, but I can probably fiddle with the xml export/conversion file I end up uploading, or just adjust something once it's in FG.
Either create two craft(Alchemy) entries on your character sheet once it is imported into Fantasy Grounds - one with the +1/level and one without; or just keep one entry without the +1/level and remember to apply it via the modifier box when the bonus to craft(alchemy) applies.

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 02:34
Lachancery

TY for file looks sweet cant wait for next session for Part 2

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 18:27
OK I am having trouble uploading character as attachment says invalid file anyone got suggestions on what i am doing wrong?

lachancery
November 23rd, 2012, 18:46
OK I am having trouble uploading character as attachment says invalid file anyone got suggestions on what i am doing wrong?
I'm not sure I understand; can you be more specific what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to attach your character XML to a post on a forum?

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 19:06
Sry yes i am trying to attach character to post on fg forum

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2012, 22:16
Sry yes i am trying to attach character to post on fg forum
The terian.xml file you received from lachancery earlier? Or a different one? What extension does the file have - .xml or something else?

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 22:27
Trenloe yes the file i received from Lachancery it is a xml file but it also has url on it could that be it maybe i need to change something on it dont know not too good around computers

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2012, 22:50
Trenloe yes the file i received from Lachancery it is a xml file but it also has url on it could that be it maybe i need to change something on it dont know not too good around computers
Sounds like the file didn't download with a clean filename. Try the following steps:

Download the terian.xml again - go to the post #95 in this thread where lachancery attached the file.
Right-click on the file and select "save target as" (Internet Explorer), or "save link as" (Firefox) - the exact title of the command will depend on what web browser you are using.
Save the terian.xml file to your hard drive (remember where you are saving it).

That should have downloaded the file with just the filename terian.xml. Now to upload it - follow the usual steps you have for attaching files to forum posts before, and make sure you select the file you saved in step 3 above.

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 22:58

TY Trenloe that did work

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2012, 23:17

TY Trenloe that did work
Cool - glad that worked.

Now - next question: I'm not sure why you're uploading this PC here? This game has finished... ;)

rmpostman
November 23rd, 2012, 23:46
Yea was just seeing if it worked lol sry about that

lachancery
November 24th, 2012, 00:34
Now - next question: I'm not sure why you're uploading this PC here? This game has finished... ;)
Now, don't you know people "our age" all live a little in the past? (And it gets worse with time!) ;)

avro5731
November 24th, 2012, 01:22
Were the chronicles updated and signed... I didn't see them but then again I forgot I was playing a weekly game for the past 2 months.

lachancery
November 24th, 2012, 01:34
Were the chronicles updated and signed... I didn't see them but then again I forgot I was playing a weekly game for the past 2 months.
Yes, they were yesterday. Read earlier posts in this thread, I attached them.

avro5731
November 24th, 2012, 04:14
ok walk me through it slowly, cause I only see the ones from 1148 and they aren't signed.

lachancery
November 24th, 2012, 13:55
ok walk me through it slowly, cause I only see the ones from 1148 and they aren't signed.
Hmmm. I downloaded your chronicle sheet attached to that message from my wife's computer and scrolled down to the bottom of the first page, and I see my digital signature there. It seems fine to me; I'm not sure what might be missing.

Depending on your browser, you may need to download using right-click and save it on your computer first, and then open it with Adobe Reader instead of doing it directly within the browser; could that be it? I also noticed that on my iPad, the PDF viewer does not download the form data or the signature.

It's my first set of signed chronicles; I'm wondering if I've omitted a step. I'll ask a guru to check the chronicle sheets. If you know what might be missing, I'll return the request: walk me through it slowly... :p

Blackfoot
November 24th, 2012, 14:09
Here are the chronicles for the game. Please verify their accuracy.

Other GMs who have made chronicle sheets before, could you also double-check that I've done it right please?
Mostly these look fine... although scrolls of endure elements should cost 25gp not 50.. potions would be 50 and much more useful to fighters... if they bought and used them in the game they should be listed on the left as CONSUMED or in some way noted that they were purchased and used up.
You probably want to mark the tier at the top by the max gold boxes.
You also do NOT want to put an X in the boon box. That would mark that boon as used... which it can't be since it has only just been awarded.

lachancery
November 26th, 2012, 13:53
Here are the final chronicle sheets based on the feedback I received from our gurus. They are signed - see the bottom of the first page. Depending on your browser, you may need to do "save target file as".

Preparing Part 2 now. :)

Rose Claymore
November 26th, 2012, 15:31
Everything looks good for Wirbelsturm!

Looking forward to part 2!