PDA

View Full Version : [repost] Old school Greyhawk every other Fri. evening, apprx. 6-10pm Pacific

dr_venture
November 9th, 2012, 17:13
[This is a re-post, as the previous thread was getting pretty cluttered.]

I had a group all set for this, but a whole bunch of legitimate real world obstacles have whittled the group down to 2 players, with a couple more potential players who may or may not materialize. So I'm looking for at least 2 more regular players interested in an on-going, open-ended campaign. The group has a Sorcerer and a Knight (and potentially a Rogue and Marksman, maybe) so everything else is up for grabs. FWIW, the next session is tonight (Nov. 9) so you could potentially join in right away.

This will be a very laid back and fun, 'old school,' module-oriented game, great for beginners. The setting is the early Greyhawk when Gygax was still working on it - this is a kind-of continuation of a campaign from the early '80's. Perhaps we'll even play some classic modules if people would enjoy it. We're starting with a great old module from White Dwarf, 1984 or so, but with a lot of modifications. We're only 1 session in so it's a good time to join.

Communication is via FG text chat. Game time is currently every other Friday, 6pm to 10pm, but it's possible that could be adjusted to fit other schedules. You will need a registered version of FG to play.

The game system is Castles & Crusades, so it has the feel of old school AD&D but with smoothed out game mechanics - considered 'rules lite.' Anyone who knows almost any version of D&D (or several different computer/console games) will pick it up pretty fast. It's a good beginner's system, too.

PM me if you're interested. The game is organized via Obsidian Portal (https://www.obsidianportal.com), so definitely include your account name over there (it's free). Also include your available playing times.

__doug__
November 9th, 2012, 18:18
Looks like there are probably too many details for me to take care of to get in game tonight. I'll see where I can get and let you know. Hopefully I can join you for the next session if that isn't too late.

Is there a C&C primer you could send me which I could use to figure out the system a bit. Especially character creation.

Also, I was going to PM you but it looks like your PM quota is full.

Doug

dr_venture
November 9th, 2012, 18:28
Doh! - mailbox now cleared. See what you can get done, and maybe you can join in for a while tonight. Hamachi is usually pretty simple to set up - download, install, enter a network name & password, and you're in.

The free version of the C&C quickstart rules, which just covers the first couple levels of the 4 basic classes, can be found here: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

__doug__
November 9th, 2012, 19:06
Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

Doug

Doh! - mailbox now cleared. See what you can get done, and maybe you can join in for a while tonight. Hamachi is usually pretty simple to set up - download, install, enter a network name & password, and you're in.

The free version of the C&C quickstart rules, which just covers the first couple levels of the 4 basic classes, can be found here: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

dr_venture
November 14th, 2012, 00:27
Just bumping this, as we're still looking to settle on a lineup of regulars.

dr_venture
November 21st, 2012, 06:16
Another bump. Looks like we are going to have a game happening this Friday (Nov. 23). There are NPCs to play if you want to join in for some old school fun.

leozelig
November 21st, 2012, 11:28
dr_v, I would be interested in playing this week if my computer was functional. I don't know if I could play every week, but I would be happy to pick up an NPC for a future game session. What classes are the NPCs?

dr_venture
November 21st, 2012, 23:56
I'm just using the previously rolled characters from players that have unceremoniously bailed as NPCs... which means that there is pretty much one of everything available. As long as there's room (and there is), I actually don't mind at all if you want to just drop in for a session here or there. It's a very laid back game. The only thing you need is to have Hamachi (free) installed (my ISP blocks port 1802, and I have no alternative ISP). It's quick and usually easy to set up - PM me when you'd like the deets.

damned
November 22nd, 2012, 01:00
Doc - does your ISP block ALL incoming ports?
You can get FG to run on other ports too.

dr_venture
November 22nd, 2012, 05:52
I believe it blocks many if not all, yeah.

leozelig
November 22nd, 2012, 11:20
Why not just set up port forwarding so players don't need to install additional software?

I once played in a game that had a slightly convoluted method for connecting, and while the extra effort was not huge, I must admit that it got annoying after a few weeks.

My new computer is not coming until next week, unfortunately. It had better arrive by Wednesday - I have not been able to run my game for a few weeks now! :mad:

damned
November 22nd, 2012, 12:37
:)
that would be the bit where his ISP blocks inbound connections...

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2012, 12:38
Why not just set up port forwarding so players don't need to install additional software?
The problem Dr V is having is that his ISP is blocking most ports - so there are essentially no ports to forward on his local router. Believe me, a few people have been through many options trying to get Dr V connected up. Other than Hamachi, the only other option is to work out what ports the ISP doesn't block for home based servers (if any) - and then use one of those ports using the -p <port number> command line option for the FG clients and the GM FG server (as mentioned by damned above).

leozelig
November 22nd, 2012, 15:00
Got it, didn't know that could happen, but of course I don't know anything about it. :)

dr_venture
November 22nd, 2012, 16:57
Trenloe knows of what he speaks - I'm still grateful for the time you spent with me on my connection problems... thanks bud! :D

The good news is that Hamachi is free, pretty easy to download and use (basically 1-click operation), and its built-in chat feature has come in handy several times both to diagnose connection issues with FG or have person to person chats without relying on whispering. Only once has a player had a problem getting Hamachi to work on their system.

rmpostman
November 29th, 2012, 20:25
Hi Doc this sounds interesting if you still have room would like to join as i am pacific time hours would be good for me pls let me know TY

dr_venture
November 29th, 2012, 21:00
Hi Doc this sounds interesting if you still have room would like to join as i am pacific time hours would be good for me pls let me know TY

Yep, there's room. PM has been sent.

leozelig
November 30th, 2012, 01:21
You guys playing this week? I might have to work late, but if I am available, I wouldn't mind joining in the fun. I don't know how consistently I can play though, so I would probably claim an abandoned PC if you don't mind.

dr_venture
November 30th, 2012, 01:41
Hey L: This week is my Old West game (5pm to 8pm Pacific) which you're also welcome to sit in upon. The Greyhawk game will be next Friday, the infamous Dec. 7th. You're going to need to set up Hamachi to sit in, which is free & normally pretty straight forward & simple. Are you familiar with it? If so, I can PM you the network ID & password. If not, give me your Obsidian Portal name (free - https://www.obsidianportal.com), I'll invite you to my campaign, and I have detailed step by step instructions there. I hope that doesn't sound like too much of a hassle - it's really pretty simple.

I don't have any problem with you just snagging an NPC when your schedule allows - I'm pretty laid back.

leozelig
November 30th, 2012, 06:10
Not a problem - my Obsidian Portal username is also leozelig. I think I used Hamachi once before, it was pretty easy as I recall. I want to play in the Greyhawk game, so I will see if I am around next week and let you know!

dr_venture
December 1st, 2012, 00:39
Invite sent.