PDA

View Full Version : Character Audits

Skellan
November 9th, 2012, 11:33
I am going to start picking a random character from my table each session for audit. This will mean that I will ask for all previous chronicle sheets for the character and the most up to date xml of their character.
This isn't much fun for anyone, but it is something that I should be doing for pfs games.
I am not doing this to target anyone in particular, I am just letting everyone know that this is something that I am going to start to do for all of my games in future.

I know that this is a pain and I am not trying to make things difficult for anyone, its just something that gm's would do at a tabletop session and I am bringing my games in line with that. Having an electronic back up of chronicle sheets would be useful anyway in case your hard copies get lost :)

Bloodlust
November 9th, 2012, 17:43
Happy to send mine through without being asked if you'd like it :)

Skellan
November 9th, 2012, 19:09
Dont worry, though if you have them all in one place in case, that would be handy :)

Gwaihir Scout
November 9th, 2012, 19:54
Huh. We don't do this at all at my local group. Why would you want to make extra work for yourself just to perhaps catch a cheater? Or is there something I'm missing?

Blackfoot
November 9th, 2012, 20:18
I don't see a problem with this... keeps things in order should folks want to take their characters to Con games... plus there shouldn't be any reason for it to be a big deal.

I'm guessing that Skellan must have a bit of time on his hands. :)

Skellan
November 10th, 2012, 15:39
I suppose 'audit' sounds a bit sinister, I didn't mean it to be.

I haven't come across anyone cheating on Fantasy Grounds and we have a great community here. My primary motive for checking chronicles is just to make sure that everything is right on them. I make mistakes all the time hehe and I just want to make sure we are doing things right.

This could be in the players favour, for example I missed off an item from a chronicle sheet and this wouldn't have been available to the player if they hadn't checked! Also, there is a player who may have more fame than is showing on his character sheet.

The society guide does say that the GM should check chronicles for all players before they start the scenario, so I can't see a problem with picking a character from each session to check. We have a lot of players and characters here and it can be easy for mistakes to happen when details are posted to boards/cut and pasted etc.

If we are doing some checking we are also protecting the reputation of the community here on Fantasy Grounds by making sure that if a player takes a character to a convention that character is in order :) I would love to see characters that have been developed here taking part in big conventions and getting special boons etc :)

Also, checking characters and chronicles also helps me as a GM to get to know your character and their abilities better. I will be able to GM things from their perspective better if I know their history.

This is just something that I have decided to do and I don't want to put any other GMs off running games because they think they have to do this.

I hope everyone understands my reasoning for checking chronicles and please don't be offended if I ask for your info, I am not trying to catch anyone out. You never know, you may get some stuff you never knew you had.

Gadreun
November 10th, 2012, 20:05
I think its a great idea - as until i got Herolab i was certain i was doing things incorrectly with building my character as im not familiar with all the nuances. I also used to keep a copy of all character sheets when i was Gm so that i could utilise this information to tailor encounters/rewards and roleplaying enrichment by understanding the players better so i think from that aspect alone its a good thing

Trenloe
November 10th, 2012, 22:38
I also used to keep a copy of all character sheets when i was Gm so that i could utilise this information to tailor encounters/rewards and roleplaying enrichment by understanding the players better so i think from that aspect alone its a good thing
Just as an FYI - this is great for running a homebrew game and GMs being familiar with a PC before the game. However,Pathfinder Society Organized Play games should be ran as close to "as written" as possible to present a more universal experience for players everywhere. So, changing encounters/rewards in PFS games is a no-no...

Gadreun
November 10th, 2012, 23:23
Just as an FYI - this is great for running a homebrew game and GMs being familiar with a PC before the game. However,Pathfinder Society Organized Play games should be ran as close to "as written" as possible to present a more universal experience for players everywhere. So, changing encounters/rewards in PFS games is a no-no...

I was referring to when i hosted live home games years ago - but i understand your meaning. I was merely agreeing that a GM having a good understanding of the PCs helps run a smoother game and can enhance the role playing experience itself. I concur that within the perspective of PFS games ..discussing the benefits of arranging encounters/rewards etc is not a good example!

Skellan
November 10th, 2012, 23:57
Enrichment stuff is good though :)

Gwaihir Scout
November 11th, 2012, 05:00
I suppose 'audit' sounds a bit sinister, I didn't mean it to be.

Yep. That was it. :)