PDA

View Full Version : Effect Question

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 14:52
I am working on a Pathfinder adventure, and I'm struggling trying to understand effects. The effect I want is NERFED, meaning the combatant takes -2 on all Attack Rolls for the next combat only. I know the duration will have to be manually controlled/removed from the PC, but I'd like to put a reminder into the effect so I know to pull it at the start of the next combat. Here's what I think I can do from the effects documentation, but I'd appreciate a look from those who've been doing this a while:

NERFED: -2 ATK condition (next combat only)

I think I need condition somewhere in there so the effect stacks with anything else.

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2012, 15:05
NERFED;ATK:-2
will basically do it..

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 15:10
Thanks, Blackfoot. However, I want to put my reminder in. Will I break the effects processor if I tack (next combat only) to the end of the string, that is:
NERFED; ATK: -2 (next combat only)

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2012, 15:11
put a semi between the text and the actual working effect.. like this:
NERFED; ATK: -2;next combat only

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 15:16
Thanks, Blackfoot

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 15:28
Okay, having some trouble here. What I'm trying to do is create a table where you can roll a d10 and the result gives an effect string I can apply to a PC or NPC. I'm having several problems:
1) When I roll, the result appears in chat, but it has a bunch of front-matter that I can't separate when I try to drag the effect result onto the combat tracker.
2) I can't drag the effect string from the table because it just drags the entire table and not the effects string.
3) I need to be able to add a +5 bonus onto the table roll if the player does the right action to give a bonus. I put a 5 modifier into the modifier window and rolled the table. Great, but now if I get higher than 10 (the table was a d10), it says [unable to find result] rather than using the 10. So, I changed the last line from 10,10 to 10,15. Now the table rolls a d20 instead of a d10. I must be doing something wrong, as I can't believe the Table functionality doesn't support roll modifiers.

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 18:35
Just to test, I tried dragging the string (without quotes) 'ATK: -2' from the chat buffer to the effects area of an NPC on the combat tracker. It didn't register and when I made a trial attack roll by dragging his weapon attack from the combat tracker to the chat window, the roll did not receive a -2 adjustment. There is something basic i'm not seeing here...

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2012, 19:43
Bid.. there are a few options for building effects into characters on the tracker. If you'd like .. I can log into your server and the teamspeak server and walk you through some of them.

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2012, 19:48
The most direct way to add an effect to a character as a GM is just to click on the little man beside them on the tracker and then type the effect into the line that appears.
You can also add the effect to your 'effects' list at the upper right, then drag from there to any character you like in the tracker and it will add that effect to them.
You can also add the effect to a spell on the NPC Spells tab or player Actions tab then drag it to a character in the tracker or a linked token on a map.

Bidmaron
November 3rd, 2012, 23:01
Sorry, was away from my computer for a while. So, you can't drag effects from the chat buffer like I was trying to do. I'm bringing up my server if the offer is still open. I'll try to bring up teamspeak also.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2012, 23:25
So, you can't drag effects from the chat buffer like I was trying to do.
Drag-drop in Fantasy Grounds needs to know what it is you're drag-dropping. Text in the chat buffer is just text, it is not registered as an effect - so dropping this just on the combat tracker doesn't do anything as it doesn't know it is an effect it thinks it is just a text string.

To drag-drop an effect on the combat tracker you need (as a GM) to display the effects edit line/s (click on the figure outline icon) and add a new blank line if there is not one there (click in one of the lines and press return) - then drag your effect text from the chat buffer and drop it on the blank line. This works because the blank line is expecting some text to be input (typed or dropped). Be careful to drop it on the blank line, if you drop it on a line with an effect already there it will overwrite the old effect.

Bidmaron
November 4th, 2012, 02:44
Trenloe, thanks. After some tutorial work with Blackfoot, I have concluded that I should roll on the table to get the effect and then manually apply the effect, either from a trap/haunt with all 10 effects or from an effects list using the upper right effects icon.

I found a shortfall with the 3.5 Tables feature, however, as there appears to be no way to add a bonus to a die roll and index into a table with the result. If you do and the number rolled together with the bonus exceeds the normal table max roll you get an unable to find result rather than the '10' result as you'd expect (if it was a d10 table). If you try to fix the problem by changing the last row to read 11-15, then the die roller will roll a d20 rather than a d10, and this doesn't work at all (and it won't find 16-20 in this case).