PDA

View Full Version : Problem adding new tokens

hawkwind
November 1st, 2012, 00:06
I have just purchased FG and have been trying unsuccessfully to add new tokens. I tried following the advice in the guide to the 3.5 rule set but the token folder doesn't seem to exist. I tried adding the folder to the campaign module but this didn't seem to help. I am trying to use some of the Eternal night png*s by Delvin. Any ideas on what I ask doing wrong?

damned
November 1st, 2012, 00:20
roughly do the following.
create a folder called \eternal. Inside that create a folder called \tokens put your tokens here
create a file called difinition.xml in teh \eternal folder with following syntax:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.8">
<name>Eternal Night - Devin Knight</name>
<ruleset>Any</ruleset>
<author>Devin Knight</author>
</root>

zip the \eternal folder up as eternal.zip and then change filename to eternal.mod

open your %appdata%\fantasy grounds ii\ folder
if \tokens doesnt exist - make it.
create a subfolder in \tokens called \shared and drop your new .mod here

go into module activation and enable it...
easy huh :)

Im sure there are other ways.

Trenloe
November 1st, 2012, 00:29
What damned has said is a good way of creating a reusable module - just watch out for his typing errors (sorry damned ;) ). EDIT: Also, the module should go in the <FG App Data Directory>\modules folder.

A quick way to get access to tokens is to:

create a "tokens" directory in the <FG App data directory> (link available under Windows Start -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application data folder).
Once you have created the token folder, create one under there called "host" (so now you have <FG app data directory\tokens\host).
Create other directories under this \tokens\host directory and these will appear as "bags" in the tokens folder on the GM side.
Put your tokens in the folders you've created.
Start a campaign in FG and you should see the token bags and tokens in the token folder.
If you want players to have access to some tokens create a \tokens\shared directory - but be careful what you put under this shared directory as all of the images will be downloaded by each player when they connect so it can take a long time if you have lots of player tokens.

Trenloe
November 1st, 2012, 00:33
open your %appdata%\fantasy grounds ii\ folder
if \tokens doesnt exist - make it.
create a subfolder in \tokens called \shared and drop your new .mod here

go into module activation and enable it...
easy huh :)

Im sure there are other ways.
Modules need to go in the <FG app data folder>\modules not in the tokens directory. :)

Only actual token graphics files and their containing directories should be put under the \tokens\shared or \tokens\host directories.

damned
November 1st, 2012, 00:38
doh! (typos) and doh! (mods) Im a bit sleepy...

hawkwind
November 1st, 2012, 07:07
mucking about learning new software packages late at night after a hard day at work is never a good idea., I did sort of done what Trenloe had said apart from restarting FG! it was late and my bed was calling me

hawkwind
November 1st, 2012, 07:12
oh and I forgot to say thanks, I guess I am going to be learning, a bit of .xml can any one recommend a good guide an a editor?

Trenloe
November 1st, 2012, 08:25
oh and I forgot to say thanks, I guess I am going to be learning, a bit of .xml can any one recommend a good guide an a editor?
Lots of people on here (me included) use the free Notepad++ application, with the XML tools plugin: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

And for a guide, you can start here: https://www.w3schools.com/xml/ (Use the green "Next Chapter") arrows to navigate through.

But, learning XML itself is pretty straightforward - it's just storing data in a hierarchy of tags. The difficult part is getting to know how Fantasy Grounds uses XML and what the tag structure is. For example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowcontrol.xcp (from the Ruleset Reference found under the Library link at the top of the page) shows the windowcontrol XML structure (scroll down the page, it is shown in green).

Also, check the Ruleset Modification guide (also under the library) this gives some guidance on some of the XML and provides other XML references and details of LUA scripting.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 05:09
Another vote for Notepad++. It's better than the previous text editor that I paid for.
JPG