PDA

View Full Version : Rules Clarification - Trait

RangerOps
October 31st, 2012, 21:02
I'm trying to get a better clarification on this Magic Trait below. The item I am trying to clarify is "this bonus doesn’t increase your caster level higher than your current Hit Dice". What is the hit dice considered:

i.e. a level 1 Bard uses D8.

1. Does that mean said character has 1 HD?

2. Does that said character have what would be consider HD 8?

Would a level 1 character (Caster type) be able to use this magic trait to receive a caster level of 3 in his caster class at 1st level, 4 at 2nd level (caster), ...?

Magical Knack

You were raised, either wholly or in part, by a magical creature, either after it found you abandoned in the woods or because your parents often left you in the care of a magical minion. This constant exposure to magic has made its mysteries easy for you to understand, even when you turn your mind to other devotions and tasks.

Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t increase your caster level higher than your current Hit Dice

lachancery
October 31st, 2012, 21:16
This trait is useful when making a multi-class character. Your HD is equal to your character level. For example, a Bard 1st/Fighter 3rd is a 4th level character (ie. has 4 HD). In that case, with this trait, your Bard casting level would be 3rd.

When you are single classed, your HD (character level) is the same as your class level, so this trait provides no bonus.

I'm trying to get a better clarification on this Magic Trait below. The item I am trying to clarify is "this bonus doesn’t increase your caster level higher than your current Hit Dice". What is the hit dice considered:

i.e. a level 1 Bard uses D8.

1. Does that mean said character has 1 HD?

2. Does that said character have what would be consider HD 8?

Would a level 1 character (Caster type) be able to use this magic trait to receive a caster level of 3 in his caster class at 1st level, 4 at 2nd level (caster), ...?

Magical Knack

You were raised, either wholly or in part, by a magical creature, either after it found you abandoned in the woods or because your parents often left you in the care of a magical minion. This constant exposure to magic has made its mysteries easy for you to understand, even when you turn your mind to other devotions and tasks.

Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t increase your caster level higher than your current Hit Dice

Blackfoot
November 1st, 2012, 05:29
I'm pretty sure that Magical Knack is not legal for PFS... I'll double check.. but I thought it was on the 'no' list.
Yup.. sorry.. not available for Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

Blackfoot
November 2nd, 2012, 15:35
That additional resources page on the paizo site should help with this question as well.
Additional Resources (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources)