PDA

View Full Version : LFG 8pm to 11pm GMT weekday only

hawkwind
October 31st, 2012, 13:09
hi
I am looking for a game to join, I have never used fantasy grounds before but I have played online table top RPG sessions before.I am happy to try most rule sets and I want to get a few hours player experience before trying my hand at game mastering.

Skellan
November 5th, 2012, 01:06
I am on gmt and will run something at a time that suits you. keep an eye on the pathfinder society forum :)

hawkwind
November 6th, 2012, 11:18
thanks Skellan, I might have a problem committing to a four hour session as I only have the three hours available. I would also be interested in running some society games and would like to know if it's ok to split a adventure other two sessions? Otherwise a session will go pass the time I like to be asleep by.

Skellan
November 6th, 2012, 17:03
I am not sure what the official line is on this. I guess it is possible but you might be giving yourself a headache if players end up with partially completed scenarios. I suppose you could work outrewards per encounter if someone doesnt show
In short, I would say that I would avoid splitting scenarios, but if that's all you have to work with, then I would say go for it. I would certainly be interested if you run something weekday evenings gmt :)

Skellan
November 6th, 2012, 17:05
Online pfs scenarios tend to take approx 5 hours in my experience

Trenloe
November 6th, 2012, 22:26
Online pfs scenarios tend to take approx 5 hours in my experience
Yep, I increased the time-slot to 5 hours after trying to run online games in 4 hours and never completing everything on time - I usually ended up rushing and/or removing encounters which doesn't make for a satisfactory end to the game.

The current (4.2) PFS guide states:

Play for no more than 5 hours. (Note: home games and online games do not necessarily have to follow this restriction, and some conventions may run longer slots.)
So, for our online games you can take longer than 5 hours if you want. However, what I would recommend is don't split up your PFS scenarios over 2 sessions - this will result in the nightmare Skellan mentions above, as sooner or later one player from the first session won't be able to make it and then you have all sorts of issues sorting out chronicle sheets and/or trying to re-run to cover off people who missed one of the sessions.

hawkwind
November 7th, 2012, 09:48
If pfs adventures take five hours to run then I don't feel do bad about splitting them. Any particular pfs adventures skellan you fancy doing and at what tier?

hawkwind
November 7th, 2012, 11:25
Yep, I increased the time-slot to 5 hours after trying to run online games in 4 hours and never completing everything on time - I usually ended up rushing and/or removing encounters which doesn't make for a satisfactory end to the game.

The current (4.2) PFS guide states:

So, for our online games you can take longer than 5 hours if you want. However, what I would recommend is don't split up your PFS scenarios over 2 sessions - this will result in the nightmare Skellan mentions above, as sooner later one player from the first session won't be able to make it and then you have all sorts of issues sorting out chronicle sheets and/or trying to re-run to cover off people who missed one of the sessions.
surely if some one doesn't show for the second session you would treat it in the same way if some walks out of a game at a convention and they don't get a chronicle sheet.. I will consult on the main Paizo boards

Trenloe
November 7th, 2012, 12:11
surely if some one doesn't show for the second session you would treat it in the same way if some walks out of a game at a convention and they don't get a chronicle sheet.. I will consult on the main Paizo boards
I still think you will have issues getting the same players to turn up for both games. I just think that splitting a PFS scenario into 2 parts will be much more admin for the GM and will result in some players missing out on getting their chronicle sheet. The thing to keep in mind is that a player cannot play their PC in another PFS game until they have completed their last game and received the chronicle sheet. So, if for whatever reason the GM is unable to run the finishing session soon after or a player can't make the next session then it could leave one or more PCs unplayable for a while.

In the end it's entirely up to the GM how they run their sessions (within the PFS guidelines). There is nothing definite in the 4.2 Guide to PFS organized play (only mentions of splitting a sanctioned "module", not scenario, across sessions), but it has been approved by Mike Brock (PFS coordinator) on the Paizo boards that you can split across sessions as long as you have the same GM and same players: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oy62?Society-Scenario-Time-Restrictions

My recommendation would be that when you plan to run any split sessions that you are very clear to players up-front that they have to sign up for both sessions and the implications (no chronicle, etc.) if they don't complete, and that PCs cannot be used until they have completed. Another recommendation would be to plan both sessions in advance - so everyone knows what to commit to.

Skellan
November 7th, 2012, 12:36
I agree with Trenloe that everyone needs to know what they are getting into as partially completed scenarios will be a headache for everyone. It would be possible to work out a chronicle for a partially completed scenario but it would be a nightmare and not much fun for anyone.

I would avoid doing this if possible but I would say that if the only way that you can play is by splitting the scenarios, then I think you should give it a whirl. Perhaps start with new 1st level characters so it is minimal risk if it goes belly up, and aim to sign up players that you know are reliable. As Trenloe says, I think it is key that everyone knows the implications of playing this way.

I am certainly interested though (a gmt game, woohoo) and wouldn't let you down

Trenloe
November 7th, 2012, 12:47
It would be possible to work out a chronicle for a partially completed scenario but it would be a nightmare and not much fun for anyone.
Just had confirmation from a fellow PFS Venture Officer (Steve White, VC, Melbourne) that you need to complete a minimum of 3 encounters to be able to get the XP for a scenario: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p4rg?Playing-a-PFS-adventure-over-two-sessions-online

Thanks for posting the question online Hawkwind/g! :)

There have been a few PFS scenarios I have ran that we have only just got 3 encounters in by the end of the full 4-5 hour slot, so this 3 encounter rule won't necessarily mean that a chronicle can be issued at the end of session 1 in a split session scenario - plus the PC may have not have the chance to complete their faction mission. Also, I would say that they really should have reduced gold - take away their share of the treasure gained in the second session.

I would say, however, that we really shouldn't be letting missing the finishing session be an option to players, as this could result in the table no longer being legal and doesn't adhere to the letter of the ruling "*IF* you have the same GM and same players, then sure." Of course, sometimes it will happen - but it should be the exception not the rule, otherwise if 3 encounters were completed in session 1 a player may not try too hard to make session 2 as they know they will get XP and a chronicle.

Skellan
November 7th, 2012, 13:13
we really shouldn't be letting missing the finishing session be an option to players, as this could result in the table no longer being legal and doesn't adhere to the letter of the ruling "*IF* you have the same GM and same players, then sure." Of course, sometimes it will happen - but it should be the exception not the rule, otherwise if 3 encounters were completed in session 1 a player may not try too hard to make session 2 as they know they will get XP and a chronicle.

Good point. I would hope players wouldn't exploit it in this way, but the sad fact is that some would and the few often spoil things for the majority :( I suppose while they may get xp, they wouldn't get treasure but some may just take the exp and the prestige. It would also make life difficult for the remaining players as they will have to continue missing a player and they will be exposed to more risk and spend more resources as a result.

It all hinges on all the players (and GM) being dedicated enough to complete the scenario. I would only go down the route of splitting scenarios if it really is the only way that you can play.

hawkwind
November 8th, 2012, 09:19
splitting scenarios is the only way I can run them in the spare time available for me gaming. I will put up stoke ideas for some games in the next few days

Skellan
November 8th, 2012, 16:59
Great, well if that's all you have to work with, good luck.
I will play if I am able.

hawkwind
November 8th, 2012, 20:24
Skellan have you played 4-07 Severing Ties ?

Skellan
November 8th, 2012, 20:30
No, I havent played that one

Skellan
November 8th, 2012, 20:33
I cant do thursdays, but could arrange any other weekday with notice

hawkwind
November 8th, 2012, 22:03
great i will start work on the module tomorrow and put it up on the calendar and the pfs forum for a weekday night other than a thursday once i have done the module

Trenloe
November 9th, 2012, 02:17
great i will start work on the module tomorrow and put it up on the calendar and the pfs forum for a weekday night other than a thursday once i have done the module
Cool! Welcome to the select group of PFS GMs on Fantasy Grounds. :)

If you hadn't seen it already, there are some good tips on creating a PFS module here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17108

The creature parser in itself will save you a lot of time.

hawkwind
November 9th, 2012, 09:35
I have to actually run a game first!
have some newbie questions first,
what is the best way to receive players chronicle sheets prior to the game and distribute new sheets after the game and is there a way of disclosing a document to one player only during a game like for example a fraction objective?

Skellan
November 9th, 2012, 11:10
If the character has played online, they will have a pdf of their chronicle sheets that they can send to you. If they have played tabletop they can scan or take a picture with a mobile phone of their chronicle sheets and send them to you

I have attached a blank pdf chronicle sheet that you can use after the scenario for players. You can sign this electronically to make it official and the player won't be able to change it once it is signed.

You can share handouts and story pages with individual character in Fantasy Grounds by dragging and dropping the image or story sheet onto the character's portrait on the top left of the screen.

Hope this helps, if there's anything else just let me know

Trenloe
November 9th, 2012, 14:04
I have to actually run a game first!
have some newbie questions first
I'd recommend having a look through the sticky threads in the Pathfinder Society Forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71). They give some good guidelines on creating the PFS scenario in Fantasy Grounds, advertising your game so that the most people hear about it (and have a Game Calendar entry to sign up at and see the time of the game in their local timezone), and has some useful files and pregens.

If you have any questions, please start a new thread in the Pathfinder Society forum.