PDA

View Full Version : Creating adventures on the MAC

deepdivinbloke
October 24th, 2012, 17:30
MODERATORE: Moved from the "Non-Repeatable Scenarios and Level 1 Characters Discussion." thread.

Just away for a few days, but the biggest test will be getting the PDF on to fantasy grounds, especially as I have a mac, but will have a look soon.

Then I will see how many/when and what adventure you have not done. Do I need to do anything to be legit viz a viz Pathfinder Society?

Skellan
October 24th, 2012, 17:52
One of the hardest parts is getting the maps to fit the grids. There's a knack to this. Does GIMP work on your mac? If so I can show you how I do it on there if you like.
Macs tend to be good at doing these sorts of things.
Also, it will be handy to get Trenloe's awesome creature parser. This saves lots of time adding creatures and bad guys. You will find this really useful but I am not sure if it will work on a mac.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2012, 22:00
Just away for a few days, but the biggest test will be getting the PDF on to fantasy grounds, especially as I have a mac, but will have a look soon.
The creature parser is written in Windows .NET, so I'm not sure how easy that will be to run on the MAC.

Then I will see how many/when and what adventure you have not done. Do I need to do anything to be legit viz a viz Pathfinder Society?
Just register for a PFS number on the Paizo website if you haven't done so already.

Then, read through the Guide to Society Organized Play (available for free from the Paizo website), ask any questions here (or PM me if you want to keep them private) and you should be good to go!

deepdivinbloke
October 27th, 2012, 07:48
Back now,

Just so I know, with me running a mac and all, if the parser doesn't work, I will just have to add monster stats manually?

Also, when I get a chance, it would be great to chat with you Skel to get some tips. Again, I am guessing that there must be a way to do it all manually. I have started a general thread up to see if we have any mac experts out there. Will try to get to chat before your game tonight for 5 mins.

Good luck everyone.

Skellan
October 27th, 2012, 09:03
Cool, I will leave teamspeak up. I am going to watch football later but should be online a fair bit today.

I bet we can work out the creature parser thing one way or another, I wouldn't worry about it.

Blackfoot
October 27th, 2012, 14:22
Just so I know, with me running a mac and all, if the parser doesn't work, I will just have to add monster stats manually?Actually, most monsters can be copied right out of the Bestiaries into the NPCs list. It's only bosses and 'special' monsters that require manual builds if the parser doesn't work for you.
I am also glad to help you out with tips on scenario building and general FG stuff.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2012, 14:44
Actually, most monsters can be copied right out of the Bestiaries into the NPCs list. It's only bosses and 'special' monsters that require manual builds if the parser doesn't work for you.
A lot of it depends on the scenario, I've had a few PFS scenarios recently where all of the NPCs were custom - it is often that way for more urban based scenarios where the NPCs are usually humanoid with class levels.

But, having said that, all GMs should make sure they download all of the community built bestiary and NPC modules from the modules thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16074

Gwaihir Scout
October 27th, 2012, 15:26
Just so I know, with me running a mac and all, if the parser doesn't work, I will just have to add monster stats manually?

It's not that bad, really. You can still do a lot of copy-pasting from the .pdf, you're just stopping to highlight new stuff a lot. I prefer to do it this way as it helps me understand the NPC better and makes it less likely I miss an important feat or something. You have to build any spellcasting from scratch, anyway.

Blackfoot
October 27th, 2012, 18:13
It's not that bad, really. You can still do a lot of copy-pasting from the .pdf, you're just stopping to highlight new stuff a lot. I prefer to do it this way as it helps me understand the NPC better and makes it less likely I miss an important feat or something. You have to build any spellcasting from scratch, anyway.
This is actually very true... and the new spells tab (like actions) tab for NPCs is really cool.

deepdivinbloke
October 29th, 2012, 07:23
Thanks for your input,

Have been trying to get things sussed and took me about 5 hours to get as far as ripping things from the PDF, and not even sure if I have got that correct, so looks like being a long old process.

My view is, once I have done one, then I am laughing.

So far, have converted a page with a map on it to a jpeg, then copied the map alone as a jpeg to ever notes. My plan is to get everything there, and from there to Fantasy Grounds, so I will not commit to anything it I have got to that stage.

Can someone tell me if I am doing it all wrong, unfortunately, not much response to my requests for mac help, it seems all mac owners are players not GM.

Will get there eventually

Skellan
October 29th, 2012, 08:01
It sounds like you are mostly there. If you can ger the maps out of the pdf as jpgs and you can cut and paste the text you are laughing. The rest of getting things set up will be on fg and you have that running, so I reckon you are good to go. Just let me know if theres anything I can help with mate

Bidmaron
October 29th, 2012, 16:11
Thanks for your input,

Have been trying to get things sussed and took me about 5 hours to get as far as ripping things from the PDF, and not even sure if I have got that correct, so looks like being a long old process.

My view is, once I have done one, then I am laughing.

So far, have converted a page with a map on it to a jpeg, then copied the map alone as a jpeg to ever notes. My plan is to get everything there, and from there to Fantasy Grounds, so I will not commit to anything it I have got to that stage.

Can someone tell me if I am doing it all wrong, unfortunately, not much response to my requests for mac help, it seems all mac owners are players not GM.

Will get there eventually
Deep,
I told you that I use Parallels and have no issues. You have not told us your setup or anything we could use to try and help you other than a general request for tips on how to prepare an adventure on a mac. When I create adventures, I use image editing software (GraphicConverter) on the Mac side if I need to clean up DM secrets on images. The only real PC-only thing there is that I use is the parser, and it runs fine on Parallels. I also use Notepad++ for xml editing on the rare occasion that I need to (runs fine under Parallels). If you tell us what you need and what your setup is (are you using Wine/Parallels?), perhaps we could help.

deepdivinbloke
October 29th, 2012, 16:20
Sorry for the lack of specifics, I am not very IT literate.

I am presently using wineskin to run Fantasy Grounds, and the only issue I have is when I maximise the screen, then the pointer is less than accurate, so I leave it as is.

I have got maps and dialogue on Evernote at present, but was going to ask for assistance with removing stuff from the maps, e.g. the room key numbers and secret doors. I will take a look at GraphicConverter for that solution

I have been pushed for time, and unfortunately am going to be on night shift for a couple of weeks, which always kills me, but I will be upgrading my licence and having a bash as I can.

My problem is with computers in that it takes me hours to solve relatively simple things so I am grateful for all the help I can get.

Bidmaron
October 29th, 2012, 19:32
Well, I'm afraid I have no experience with wineskin, but I believe some of our Mac users have experience with it.

Blackfoot
October 29th, 2012, 19:32
When I copy maps out of PDFs... they copy without any of the overtext... so removing things from the maps isn't a big deal. Can you select the images and hit 'copy' in the mac version of acrobat reader? Then you can paste the image into some sort of image software (like photoshop or something else) and save the image off as a jpg
Generally speaking you can copy text out of the PDF and paste it into your campaign story items.

Btw... I'm not sure what this has to do with level 1 repeatable scenarios anymore. :)

Bidmaron
October 29th, 2012, 19:34
Actually, I use Preview on the Mac, and it works pretty well. Sorry for threadjack

deepdivinbloke
October 29th, 2012, 20:27
Well, it started as an offer to help - so my fault it has taken a spin.

I have been using preview, copying into Evernote, but still have the overlay, so if you could private message/email me the steps you have been using Bidmaron that would be superb, and then I can leave this thread alone.

Bidmaron
October 29th, 2012, 22:37
PM'd you, Deep!