PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an NPC Bestiary

Koreapsu
October 29th, 2012, 06:40
So I'm looking for a 3.5/PF NPC bestiary that has pregenerated humanoids in various classes and professions. Ideally it would contain the low level squire, carpenter, fighter, mage etc through to mid level and multi class character and right up to high level leaders of various classes.It would help to have a wide racially representation too.

I currently use the PFRPG GameMastery Guide NPC Bestiary but this is somewhat limited to either low or high level NPCs and only humans.Is there are resource for good pre-made NPCs? It doesn't have to be free, I'd be happy to pay for a good number of them.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Come to think of it is there a generator out there that can output to FG? If I could just enter Half Elf CL5/F3 etc and get an npc that can import into FG that would work too.

Trenloe
October 29th, 2012, 09:09
I'm waiting for release of the Pathfinder NPC Codex next month: https://paizo.com/products/btpy8v3a?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-NPC-Codex and will then run this through the Pathfinder creature parser https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475 to create a module.

The current stable release of PCGen (5.16.4) has an NPC generator: https://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php but the later test versions don't so it looks like this may not be supported going forwards. But, you can copy from the statblock5.htm character sheet view in PCGen and with only a little formatting use the creature parser to import this into FG.

You can also import NPCs generated in HeroLabs and creatures modified (templates applied) in combat manager into Fantasy Grounds using the creature parser referenced above. You can probably do it with other tools as well, as long as any tool you use outputs NPC/creature statblocks that adhere to the Paizo published Pathfinder statblock format (details in the Introduction chapter of each PF bestiary) then you should be able to use the creature parser with a little bit of formatting to bring the statblock into FG.

Koreapsu
October 30th, 2012, 10:08
Thanks for that.

damned
October 30th, 2012, 13:05
what if someone were to start a thread here or elsewhere with the xml format and all the pf players and dms could add one or two npc's a week and after a few weeks you would have a vary mixed bag of npc's to roll up into a module?

Koreapsu
October 31st, 2012, 08:24
Great idea.

Koreapsu
November 3rd, 2012, 09:33
But, you can copy from the statblock5.htm character sheet view in PCGen and with only a little formatting use the creature parser to import this into FG.

Just wondering if you can look at this for me.

Trying to parse the following test creature:

ALEXIS KORGIE
CR 8
Male Elf Paladin 8
LG Medium humanoid (elf)
Init -3; Senses Low-light, Listen +0, Spot +0, Detect Evil,
Aura*Aura of Courage, Aura of Good,
DEFENSE

AC*7,*touch*7,*flat-footed*7*(-3*Dex,*)
hp*34*(8d10)-21
Fort*+3,*Ref*-1,*Will*+0,*
Immunities*Immunity to magic sleep effects,
OFFENSE

Speed*30 ft.
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special*Attacks Smite Evil, Turn Undead,
Class Spell-Like Abilities: detect evil ( at will)
Prepared Spells Prepared Spell List
Paladin (CL 8th): STATISTICS

Str 7, Dex 5, Con 4, Int 9, Wis 6, Cha 8
Base*Atk*+8;*Grp+6
Feats Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Leadership, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Rapier)
Skills Appraise -1, Balance -3, Bluff -1, Climb -2, Concentration -3, Craft (Untrained) -1, Disguise -1, Escape Artist -3, Forgery -1, Gather Information -1, Handle Animal +1, Heal -2, Hide -3, Intimidate -1, Jump -2, Knowledge (Religion) +1, Move Silently -3, Ride -2, Search +1, Sense Motive -2, Survival -2, Swim -2, Use Rope -3,
Languages*Common, Elven
Special*Qualities Aura of Courage, Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Divine Grace, Divine Health, +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects, Lay on Hands, Merely passing within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door entitles you to a Search check to notice it as if you were actively looking for it, Remove Disease, Special Mount,
Possessions
SPECIAL ABILITIES

Aura of Courage (Su) Each ally within 10 feet of you gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
Aura of Good (Ex) Strong
Detect Evil (Sp)
Divine Grace (Su)
Divine Health (Ex)
Immunity to magic sleep effects
+2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects
Lay on Hands (Su) 0 hp/day
Merely passing within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door entitles you to a Search check to notice it as if you were actively looking for it
Remove Disease (Sp) 1/week
Smite Evil (Su) +0 with one normal melee attack for +8 extra damge 2/day
Special Mount (Sp)
Turn Undead 2/day (turn level 5) (turn damage 2d6+4)

I get this error.

Reading data file: C:\Users\Jas\Desktop\workpleaseplease.txt
Logging to: C:\Users\Jas\Desktop\workpleaseplease.txt.log
Formatting creature stat block: AC*7,*touch*7,*flat-footed*7*(-3*Dex,*) hp*34*(8d10)-21 Fort*+3,*Ref*-1,*Will*+0,* Immunities*Immunity to magic sleep effects, OFFENSE
Error in FormatDataFile, Message: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
Parameter name: startIndex
Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Processing creature:
Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
Parameter name: startIndex
Processing creature:
Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
Error in btnStartParse_Click, Message: The Writer is closed or in error state.
Module file created: C:\Users\Jas\Desktop\Testtestest.mod

What editing would I need to do to make this import correctly? For the record it seems to have pasted here a little incorrectly, between each section there are two lines with a section heading inbetween them. DEFENSE, OFFENSE, STATISTICS etc.

Thanks for your help, just a bit lost at the moment :)

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2012, 10:50
Please read the information in the first post of the Creature Parser thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475

This gives a few gotchas in common creature parsing. Also, within the downloaded zip file there is a "Example Creature File.txt" file that contains many examples of creatures that parse fine. Basically, the statblock has to adhere to the Paizo standard documented in the introduction of each of the 3 bestiaries.

What was the source program for the NPC statblock you list below? It looks like it might be PCGen? If so, I haven't found a PCGen statblock output that adheres to he Paizo standard so it requires a bit more work than an export from Hero Lab for example. To be honest, I haven't spent too much time in PCGen recently so I'm not sure of all of the statblock outputs available so there may be one that is closer to the Paizo standard.

Koreapsu
November 3rd, 2012, 11:23
Thanks, that's good enough.

It was PCGEN btw. I should be able to get it working now.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2012, 11:37
I've just seen a major gotcha with PCGen - DO NOT copy/paste from the "Character Sheet" tab (last one on the right) - it introduces strange characters that look like spaces, but they're not - this was seen in your statblock paste into the forums as stars (see the AC line as an example).

I've done the following steps with a simple NPC in PCGen 6.0 RC1 and it worked OK:

Goto File -> Export
Keep "Export to" as Standard.
Select the d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_statblock5.htm and click "Export"
Save your HTML file and say yes to "Do you want to open..."
Copy the resulting text from the web browser.
Paste into your favourite text editor.
Add an XP line after the name/CR line.
Remove any blank lines.
Go through the above to add other creatures/NPCs you want to parse - separate each creature with a blank line (this should be the only time you have a blank line in the file).
Save the text file.
Parse with the creature parser.

Koreapsu
November 3rd, 2012, 12:49
Brilliant.

Thanks tons. I might make a big NPC file that I've been wanting and give it back to the community.

Nalvenin
May 2nd, 2013, 21:04
Brilliant.

Thanks tons. I might make a big NPC file that I've been wanting and give it back to the community.

Hola, did you ever get this done? =)

Valarian
May 2nd, 2013, 22:32
Everyone Else is quite good for D&D 3e NPCs. I presume that the Pathfinder game uses similar stats.

https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/16606/Everyone-Else%3A-A-Book-of-Innkeepers%2C-Farmers-%26-More?term=everyone+else&it=1

Callum
May 2nd, 2013, 23:10
Note that Paizo's NPC Codex is available in the PRD now:
https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/navigation.html#_npcCodex