PDA

View Full Version : This game really could use more exposure.

Reliso
October 29th, 2012, 01:39
I have been doing Pen and Paper all my life and just last month was I introduced to FG2 by a friend. I would have bought this years ago had I known it existed.

Dakadin
October 29th, 2012, 02:12
I agree completely. Spread the word. At least that is what I try to do. ;)

ddavison
October 29th, 2012, 06:22
Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestion. We struggle with the best way to reach people and do a bunch of web advertising, affiliate sites, gen con and other conventions each year and even TV advertising in some areas (Dish Network only.) Looking at your own habits, what would have been the best way to get it in front of you over the years?

-Doug

Tiqon
October 29th, 2012, 07:04
I agree, you/we need to spread the word ;).

I found it in a newsletter from ICE where they talked about FG2 RM module getting a new and better version (must be your work they talked about Dakadin ;)). We had not played for a long time because of real life getting in the way. So I dug in and found out what I could.

Steam would have been nice ;).

First you have to pinpoint WHO you want to catch. Personally I believe you have to go for people like me: Have been playing for a long time/a long time ago. Real life is a showstopper for allnighters. Group is split physically and getting together is a big project. It would be awsome, but I dont think you are going to have a hard time getting young, new players.

I actually tried to find something a few years ago. My first problem was how to search for something you don't know what's called. I know now it a VTT, but I didn't then...

I just had another idea but don't have time to write it now, will post it later.

LATER!

*jumps on the train to ride to work*

damned
October 29th, 2012, 10:48
i think its easier to get the older gamers to spend the dollars on the game too. younger gamers... well... they are used to getting everything for free :(

mgholson
October 29th, 2012, 19:19
One positive thing that many people don't think about, the relative obscurity and entry fee create a very excellent community. I remember some of the groups I would get together when I used OpenRPG. The party would often kill each other, or get killed before they reached level 2.

Nylanfs
October 30th, 2012, 01:54
One thing us at PCGen has found useful is have our users distribute one page flyers at conventions & stores.

Nylanfs
October 30th, 2012, 01:59
Here's a link (https://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/PCGen_Flyer_5.16.1.pdf) to ours.

Typically I'll have a couple of thousand printed up for GenCon, and then mail left overs to people when they ask for them.

bennis1980
October 30th, 2012, 12:19
When I get my ultimate licence (shockbolt's tokens set my funds back a bit), I plan to host introductions to Fantasy Grounds using the RMC ruleset and target the Iron Crown forums to attract more Rolemaster players here.

I recommend others do the same with their favourite ruleset, promoting on the relevant publisher/fan forums.

Tiqon
October 30th, 2012, 13:57
Thats a good idea Bennis. Dakadin have done almost the same. He offered me an introduction (not a game session) to the RM module, when I asked about it on ICE forum.

My first idea was a bit far out now that I had some time to think about it, I think its a bit much. But anyway, very short, here we go you guys at Smiteworks can consider it if you like or just forget it:
Schools, at least where I live (Denmark) have computer rooms. If you could eg. offer a school one ultimate licens and the others could just use the demo version. Combined with a visit from a FG-ambassador who could run a senario and help upcomming GM get started.
Just a thought and I think it would demand alot of time from some willing to do it ;). One of the reasons alot of us use FG2 in the first place is lack of time. So it was just a though on how to get new and young people to try it.
In the 80'ies I made a deal with my local library to run a mini-con after a we had had our books and miniatures on display for a week. That was a huge succes and our little RPG-club grew rapidly in members. But again, that was the 80'ies.

Now for oldies like me, I think if I was contacted by one of my old RPG-buddies from then, about this VTT that would enable me to play like in the old times, without the hassle of getting physical together, or I can even join a game online with new people if I dont have anyoneto play with anymore, I would check it out.
So: make a list of the players you knew and probably could find via Facebook and the other social medias we have now, do it! Get back to your old contacts, just like you looked for you old classmate to see how they looked now, what they work with, etc ;).

Also, do you have ANY idea of how many MMORPG players who have actually played PnP? from my experience, ALOT. So why not try to share the word in those forums too? I for one are member of at least two I can think of where it would be ok to do so.

The REAL trick is to make it NOT feel pressed. With all the spam and blinking banners out there, people tend to ignore things like that and rightfully so! So I would not go on a forum where I'm not known, and only do it on a forum where my name would mean someone actually read the post I made and take it seriously.

Sorry, it got a bit long...

bennis1980
October 30th, 2012, 15:04
Thats a good idea Bennis. Dakadin have done almost the same. He offered me an introduction (not a game session) to the RM module, when I asked about it on ICE forum.

In fairness, Dakadin has been doing this already a number of times (which I have found excellent for learning to use the ruleset). We (FG community and Rolemaster crowd) are blessed to have him.

I think if more of us did this, either tutorials or one off game sessions, it will really raise awareness and get people over the fear of buying without idea of what they are buying (I know as I was there myself why I was searching for a VTT for my group). If Smiteworks can support us in any way to sell their product, that would be great also - here's an example off the top of my head:

Create temporary ultimate licences (expire after a few days) for use hosting such sessions and/or for use in the next FGcon. The conditions for use could be that the host provide feedback to Smiteworks as to how the promo session went. I wouldn't have a problem with this (of course I'll have my ultimate license soon anyway).

Don't worry about the long post Tiqon, we love that!!! Schools are a great idea, but you need to introduce kids to roleplay first before they'll get a VTT. Universities maybe...

HighNDry
October 30th, 2012, 23:44
I discovered FG on the ICE Rolemaster forum. They have a forum dedicated to it, which was enough to make me come check it out and purchase a GM license.

Honestly, no mainstream advertising would have ever put this on my radar. Having game companies link to y'all in their forums and game information pages is a great way to get our attention. I almost went with another program instead because of the cost, but ICE's official support made the choice for me.

Salz78
November 2nd, 2012, 17:59
I just found this program by pure chance a week or so ago, and my group loves it! We've tested it over the last week and will be running our first session in a new campaign tonight.

bennis1980
November 2nd, 2012, 18:22
I just found this program by pure chance a week or so ago, and my group loves it! We've tested it over the last week and will be running our first session in a new campaign tonight.

Love your story and wish you the very best with your first session

damned
November 2nd, 2012, 22:17

welcome aboard - hope you have fun.

Hemophage
November 21st, 2012, 07:01
i found this by random chance. I was part of an online guild for SWTOR and people in the guild were running play by post rp sessions which got me reminiscing about the days of yore when all my friends would get together after school and spend friday-sunday doing pen and paper roleplay intermixed with lots of video game breaks, seeing how long we could stay awake, and dreading being the first one to go to sleep.

Anyway, that lead me to wondering if there was some kind of a thing where we could play pen and paper but online. Low and behold after some searching and sniffing FGII was discovered. It sure made me wish i had found it sooner.

bennis1980
November 21st, 2012, 07:15
Have no regrets Hemophage, you're here now (and safe from those nasty bad evil play by post games)

Hemophage
November 21st, 2012, 08:30
Have no regrets Hemophage, you're here now (and safe from those nasty bad evil play by post games)

its just... (as a tear roles down his cheek) they take so long... so ****in.... long *sniffle*

wbcreighton
November 21st, 2012, 18:34
When I get my ultimate licence (shockbolt's tokens set my funds back a bit), I plan to host introductions to Fantasy Grounds using the RMC ruleset and target the Iron Crown forums to attract more Rolemaster players here.

I recommend others do the same with their favourite ruleset, promoting on the relevant publisher/fan forums.

That is exactly how I found out about it. One of the Ultimate license community members posted an intro session for BRP on the BRPcentral web site. I convinced BF to try it and we were hooked. We went from pbp gaming to FG vtt gaming.

If anyone wants to start up a BRP campaign there are some people on BRPcentral who want to play something (Openquest too).

Isamill
December 2nd, 2012, 05:29
I agree Reliso, I have been searching for years for a genuine dnd experiance on the computer, and since all PC games seem to love real time or FPS these days, where the true DND experiance is turn based tactical roleplaying.
It was only by chance that I came across this site and I am currently going through the forums and posts to find out how it works, what the difference of the ultimate or full liscence is (I still haven't found out if it is a one off payment or it is a yearly subscription lol!) and I am super impressed from what I have read so far and will definately be joining up after Xmas and hook up with a group who doesn't mind a newbie and get back into having some old fashioned fun in a new way:D

unerwünscht
December 2nd, 2012, 06:06
Just to throw my opinion in here real quick. I think it is important when promoting FGII to keep focus on the fact that it is not a game. It is an application that simulates the face to face gaming environment allowing for many different games to be played, but it in and of itself is not a game.

I stress this point because many people get the wrong idea when they think of FGII as a game.

damned
December 2nd, 2012, 06:33
hi isamill - its a one off cost - no subscription. there are commercial rulesets and other add-ons available at additional cost if wanted. full license lets you host a game for others to connect to with a lite or better license while an ultimate license lets anyone join your game - even those with a demo license only.
as unerwunscht points out - this isnt a new role playing game - it allows you to connect with other players to play your game. it does include a good ruleset for dnd3.5e and pathfinder and has all teh mechanics for 4e but no content (eg no spells, classes, equipment, monsters as these are all copyrighted and not for distribution) but there are guides here for collecting teh info using scripts and a dnd insider subscription.
there are commercial rulesets for other games (like savage worlds, iron heroes, castles&crusades, arcana evolved, d20 modern, call of cthulu, mutants and masterminds, basic role playing and rolemaster) and lots of less polished community generated rulesets for other games.
sometimes it can take a little while to get yourself into a regular group or to start your own but there are plenty of friendly and helpful people about to help you.

Isamill
December 2nd, 2012, 07:35
Thanks for the info Damned - I will be going for the full liscence because I would like to get back into GMing (after a twenty year hiatus and will be rather rusty lol) but would like to be a player for a while to get the hang of things again (I'll have to polish the old platemail and replace the worm eaten handle on my mace first though)
Due to a busy schedule to Feb 2013 (Holidays!!!) I can't commit to anything just yet and I am a firm believer in reliability when you commit to a group.
I have a question if anyone doesn't mind answering
1. I used to play ADnD 1st and 2nd edition - what is the closest ruleset on FGII that supports this? and would it be benificial to have a rulebook (Xmas present for me from the kids!!!) - from previous posts I have read either Pathfinder, 3.5e or castles and crusades?
thanks for everyones help in advance

JohnD
December 2nd, 2012, 07:53
My understanding is that C&C is closest to AD&D and 2nd edition. It is a lot more of a "basic" rule set than 3.5e, 4e or Pathfinder I think though... and by this I mean that less is automated and "drag-able" from the rule books.

Dr_Venture is working on some updates; maybe get in touch with him for more information.

Although, the vast majority of my DMing experience is in exactly those rule sets... I run Pathfinder, 3.5e and Rolemaster games using FG... as a DM you can think about the game/plot/story and hopefully you have a player or two who knows the more recent iterations really well and ask them to point out how the rules adjudicate now - and learn that way.

damned
December 2nd, 2012, 09:26
castles&crusades is very much old school d&d - not like 3.5.
it does use some d20 elements though like ascending armour classes (not descending).
instead of tables and tables to cover every possible eventuality it uses a system called siege engine / siege checks which really speeds things up.
castles&crusades is a commercial ruleset - $10, while 3.5e is included free. the other thing to note about c&c is that even your players need to buy the ruleset if they want access to the spell lists/descriptions, inventory etc. otherwise they can type stuff in manually or you can drag stuff in for them.
there is plenty of automation in the existing rule-set - it is really only missing draggable inventory items. dr_venture is working on an updated ruleset which includes that and some other nice features. this might be a little while away yet as it is a big job. who knows it might be here in time for you in Feb/Mar.
download the quick start rules here: https://www.trolllord.com/cnc/ccqs.html gives you an intro to siege checks and basic classes. you can buy the full print versions in hard cover, softcover or digest from the https://www.trolllord.com/ store or you can buy them in PDF from https://rpgnow.com or https://drivethrurpg.com
you only need the players handbook to learn all you need to know. monsters & treasure and classic monsters are monster tomes and the castle keepers guide is full of extra rules and suggestions - if they suit you or your game.

damned
December 2nd, 2012, 09:31
Oh and to actually answer your last question - yes, whatever flavour you play the FG ruleset does not replace your own copies of the books/rules. you will still find it much easier to have a copy of the books on hand (or pdf) to refer to and to get back up to speed with. The fantasy grounds rulesets are not intended to replace these.

bennis1980
December 2nd, 2012, 09:40
EDIT: some one already made this point (I didn't check what page I was on) - Oops!

Isamill
December 2nd, 2012, 18:10
Thanks so much everyone

Griogre
December 2nd, 2012, 22:54
I'm also finding D&D Next playtest rules to be fairly close to AD&D right now as well but there isn't any support built into FG for it right now. But as been already mentioned Castles & Crusades by Troll Lord is pretty close except for AC -10 being AC 30 (counting up AC instead of down).

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2012, 23:30
Just to throw my opinion in here real quick. I think it is important when promoting FGII to keep focus on the fact that it is not a game. It is an application that simulates the face to face gaming environment allowing for many different games to be played, but it in and of itself is not a game.

I stress this point because many people get the wrong idea when they think of FGII as a game.
Completely agree here. You see occasional posts on this forum from people who have the wrong idea about what Fantasy Grounds is, what the community provides and what actions players/GMs have to take to play games.