PDA

View Full Version : Building Your Pathfinder Society Community

Blackfoot
October 26th, 2012, 14:50
I thought this might be interesting for everyone here.
From the Paizo Blog
Let’s look at common ways to contribute to your Pathfinder Society community. This is in no way an exhaustive list. It is simply a list of common ways to give back:

Offer to GM. This one is first on the list because it is obviously the easiest and most important. There is a reason why we stress GMing so much. It’s a great way to give back to the community and become a better player while you do it. We have established GM 101 training sessions to encourage quality GMing and we hope that all of you will try spending some time behind the screen.
Organize gamedays and local conventions. Anyone can organize a gameday or small convention, not just Venture Captains and Lieutenants. All you need is to arrange the gaming space, secure the GMs, promote the event to get players, and then report it. It’s easy and provides a valuable service. You can become a local coordinator by coordinating a regular event, such as at a game store or even at home. Setting up new spaces on a regular basis provides new locations for players to play, and for new potential players to experience the community that Pathfinder Society offers and creates.

Help find and prepare new players for Pathfinder Society Organized Play. New players are the lifeblood of the Society. This very important as we will always have some attrition in the ranks. Spreading your enthusiasm by finding and teaching new Pathfinders what it means to be in the Society and helping promote your local events are of vital importance. If all you do is introduce one new player a month to the Society and your local playgroup, your Pathfinder Society community will grow stronger, and perhaps even become one of the most vibrant in the world.

You might be surprised who could be interested in Pathfinder Society. It’s the perfect vehicle for people who have busy working and home lives, and who can’t commit to a regular schedule, to still get their gaming fix. Talk openly and honestly about Pathfinder Society to people you come across, even if you don’t think they fit the typical bill of a gamer.

Other ways to contribute. The Pathfinder Society runs best when the environment is friendly and warm and people are recognized for their time and efforts. If you’re the person who is always bringing pizza and sodas to thank GMs, taking the time to help the local coordinator design flyers, offering to do the reporting after the events, or printing materials for your local group, you are doing your part. There are many ways to contribute.
Mike Brock
Pathfinder Society Campaign Coordinator
Our group here is built on individual participation. We all help ourselves by helping each other. It is important, no.. vital really, for us to remember that nobody here is doing this because they 'have to' or get anything more out of it than anyone else.

Give that GM a pat on the back, offer to help him out with whatever when you can, sign up for games that sound like they are going to be short a player... whatever you can do to help out is great.

Not everyone needs to be a GM, but keep in mind that GMs like to play as well. I generally offer first pick of slots in my game to folks who run games. Ideally we'd like to get to the point where we are running enough games that the same fast fingered folks aren't signing up for all the slots in all the games and we are getting new players and GMs all the time.

Skellan
October 26th, 2012, 16:26
This is a good blog.

I think we have some different opportunities and challenges than the tabletop folks and in a lot of ways it can be easier to build online communities.

It would be great to have more GMs and I think it will come in time. I would be more than happy to help anyone get set up for GMing a scenario (especially if its one I have already converted to FG)

On the other hand, I don't think people should feel guilty if they don't GM. I GM because I enjoy it and have mostly roleplayed as GM since I was about 12 :O Some people are just players and that's fine with me. As Blackfoot says, they can make a great contribution by being enthusiastic and helpful :)

You made me smile with the 'quick fingered' comment. Everyone can't be expected to check or get onto the forums regularly but I guess first come, first serve, seems the best way of doing it. I would say that if I get enough signed up on the calendar, I will try to run another table if possible.

I plan to run one or two games per week, and I think that one of the best things we can do to build the community is to get lots of games running.

Blackfoot
October 26th, 2012, 17:07
I do sorta wonder if the 'first come first served' option is the most fair overall... or whether there might be a way that would allow for more players to get a chance to 'sit at a table'.

Perhaps we could do something where players who haven't already gotten a slot that month or week get first dibs on seats... 'new' players come from an assortment of different directions and varied experiences... I feel like we shouldn't turn them off, as much as possible, from their first experience... meanwhile we need to make sure that we support our community and give them a reason to feel like they are 'part of the family'.

As for running games, I generally try to run 1 to 2 games per month. I hope that schedule of 1-2 per week doesn't burn you out Skellan. :)

I generally think that running at least 1 starter game a month is a 'good idea'. They are a great opportunity for new GMs to try their hand and for new players to explore the PFS.

Skellan
October 26th, 2012, 17:51
Yeah, there probably is a fairer way of doing it. I am open to suggestions, though I reckon keeping it simple is key.

I m really enjoying the Pathfinder Society at the moment. I love building and running the scenarios and its great that I can schedule games to fit when I am free :) Plus if I start to feel burnt out I can just take a break. No sign of that yet though :D