PDA

View Full Version : No one ever really plays

hakfson77
October 26th, 2012, 01:41
Maybe its just me, or maybe I am looking in all the wrong places. But I have yet to find one consistent game on Fantansy Grounds. I mean I feel like I completed wasted 48 dollars. $30 on the core, and $18 on M$M ruleset. I then no one is on. I mean its like I thought it would be better than that. Now, I will say that customer services is pretty good. And every time I asked them for help they did help me. But unless your an xml porgrammer your not going to have modules. So yes this is disappointing. I have no plans or the time to learn xml. I do wish there was a conversion tool to allow me to export my character into a form of a chacter sheet that I could print. That would be nice. But I am going to move on. Gonna try d20 pro. See if they acctually have people on theirs.

lachancery
October 26th, 2012, 01:58
Maybe its just me, or maybe I am looking in all the wrong places. But I have yet to find one consistent game on Fantansy Grounds. I mean I feel like I completed wasted 48 dollars. $30 on the core, and $18 on M$M ruleset. I then no one is on. I mean its like I thought it would be better than that. Now, I will say that customer services is pretty good. And every time I asked them for help they did help me. But unless your an xml porgrammer your not going to have modules. So yes this is disappointing. I have no plans or the time to learn xml. I do wish there was a conversion tool to allow me to export my character into a form of a chacter sheet that I could print. That would be nice. But I am going to move on. Gonna try d20 pro. See if they acctually have people on theirs.
When you say "no one is on", what do you mean exactly? Games with FG are scheduled ahead of time; if you're hoping to catch up a random group when you're ready to play, then that's not the way the FG community works...

On this forum (or the ruleset specific forums), a GM wishing to start a game announces it and recruits players. Many GMs use the Game Calendar to coordinate the play times of their group. The majority of games are run either using private voice chat servers (or Skype), or without voice chat altogether, so they are not visible if you connect to the Teamspeak or the IRC server.

Of course, playing "an alternate" ruleset (vs. D&D or Pathfinder) makes it more difficult to find a game or assemble a group, as these communities are smaller.

Does this help understanding how FG games work?

hakfson77
October 26th, 2012, 02:00
I know how it works. Just could never find anyone consistent.

lachancery
October 26th, 2012, 02:10
I know how it works. Just could never find anyone consistent.
I guess your mileage may vary based on the ruleset and the people you meet. Over the last year, I have played in 5 campaigns (1x AD&D, 3x Pathfinder & 1x RMC) and most have lasted 6+ months. Most were played weekly. Joining a new game has historically taken me over a month between the time I started looking and the time what I was looking for showed up. (I have limited availability and I was looking for specific types of game.)

Candidly, I suspect wanting to play M&M makes it more difficult - its community is very small.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2012, 02:20
If you couldn't find a consistent game then I don't think swapping VTT software will make much of a difference.

Online role-playing (much like face-to-face) role-playing relies on a GM investing a lot of time in setting up their game and keeping it going. Most GMs are enthusiastic when they start a campaign, but that enthusiasm can soon wane if the campaign isn't going the direction they want, if they're not gelling with the group, if real-life takes over, and many other reasons.

It happens all the time - in face-to-face games, Fantasy Grounds, d20Pro, Maptools, whatever...

Its frustrating I know, but the main thing is to keep trying and hopefully you'll find a group that plays the type of game you want to play and lasts.

I've played in a couple of campaigns that have lasted only a few sessions and then real-life meant the GM couldn't continue. I was disappointed, yes - but I enjoyed the sessions we did play and then moved on and looked for other games.

If, however, you are not finding any games at all, then it sounds like you are definitely looking in the wrong places, want to play games that aren't in the mainstream and/or have limited availability.

Some ideas:

If you would like to play the odd one-off Pathfinder Society game, then check out this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510 and the Pathfinder Society forum.
If you would like to give Warhammer FRP 3 a go, this Google group seems to be pretty active: https://groups.google.com/group/wfrp3-virtual-rpg/topics
Most GMs seem to find players quite easily - here's an idea... Think about GMing a one-shot or 2-3 session game with your chosen ruleset. I'm sure you'll get players, you'll get to game and it might open up other avenues for you as a player... Most players on here are very helpful towards beginning GMs, so it is always worth a try.

These options may not be exactly what you're looking for, but they have a good chance of getting you the odd session here and there and you can keep looking for a long term campaign that fits your requirements.

hakfson77
October 26th, 2012, 02:38
Well, its not entirely about M&M. I love 3.5e. I also like 4e. I only know a little of pathfinder. I will keep my eye on the calmder. I guess i was just expecting more consistent games.

hakfson77
October 26th, 2012, 02:44
Wow
Very useful

Skellan
October 26th, 2012, 02:57
Consistent games are out there. I like to know the players and be sure I can gel with them before arranging a consistent campaign with them. my current campaign is made up mostly of people who have regularly played my scenarios and I know we all have fun together.

As Trenloe suggested, the wfrp 3 group is a great comnunityand is really active. Also the pathfinder society scenarios run most weeks, so you could get a kind of consistency there.

MikeParham
October 26th, 2012, 03:04
You might consider posting a bit about your availability and your playstyle.

My group is a somewhat heavy roleplay group that has been running for several years now. We meet at 1300 Eastern on most Saturdays, use our own TS3 server for chat and have a wiki site where we post in-character discussions and prep events. Our current game is a modified ruleset D&D 4E game, but even though we rarely actively recruit, we often make room for someone that is enthusiastic about roleplay and can contribute to our storyline.

If you want to know more about our group, just look over this site:
https://vabchd20teaclub.wikidot.com/start

lachancery
October 26th, 2012, 03:08
A useful trick I have discovered when looking for a new game: Sort the games in the Game Calendar by clicking on the header "Last GM Activity". A game that is looking for fill in spots tends to have been updated recently in the Game Calendar.

I would guess that Pathfinder is 75% identical to D&D 3.5e; there are tons of tweaks that improve classes, races and game mechanics, but it's quite easy to pick up when you know 3.5e. There is a great reference resource available too at https://www.d20pfsrd.com/

I hope you keep trying; I am sure you'll find a group and game that suit your taste!

phantomwhale
October 26th, 2012, 04:06
+100 to Trenloes post.

It's a classic dilemma of RPGs (on or offline) - tools are only part of the solution; the community and commitment are also key. Doesn't help than online games can tend to have a lower commitment factor then face-to-face games (anonymity being a key factor here).

As someone who has moved 8000+ miles from my local gaming groups, I have also found boardgames and online video games easier to "get going", due to the lower ongoing commitment and effort required from a group of strangers (which everyone is, to start with). But my RPG itch needs to be scratched, and I've found there is a community here for FGII (as for other VTTs, no doubt) - but it still requires a bit of patience, effort and compromise to get things going - just like I've found with real-life RPGs over here too (1 year in, and I've STILL not got a regular, settled group going !)

Hopefully the volume of posts in answer to your initial post will assure you there is a reasonable community around FGII to make it worth the effort !

GunnarGreybeard
October 26th, 2012, 07:37
I would just echo what others have already posted. As a GM I have found that there are those who will sign up and show up for the long term and some who will drop after the 1st session or 2. As a GM that can be very frustrating. Also, the ruleset and campaign world can have a large part in player interest too.

Depending where you are located in the world that can have an impact also. I work nights through the weekend so that pretty much eliminates most US based games for me right there but I have still found there are games out there.

Valarian
October 26th, 2012, 08:46
I've been running a regular game on a Sunday evening with FG2 for a number of years. The games have been using various sets of rules, none of which are D&D and Pathfinder so it is possible to find a game that isn't one of these. I'm currently running The One Ring, but we've run Savage Worlds, FATE (Spirit of the Century, Starblazer, Legends of Anglerre, Dresden Files), and a number of others. The group I game with also has a Friday night session, which is currently Dr Who.

Of course, if you've got the Full version and the M&M ruleset, why not GM a game? Put up a calendar entry and a Guild House thread. See if anyone is interested in playing.

Iron.Mandarin
November 4th, 2012, 00:41
I just picked up FGII and the M&M pack and plan on running my first game in January. I haven't decided on if it will be four color or Thundaar the Barbarian, but it will be using the m&m ruleset.

Draeus
November 4th, 2012, 01:05
I have had no troubles finding people to fill gaps in my regular games when real life issues get in the way of gaming... The horror!

I have awaiting list for my fantasy game with currently a group bursting at 8 players. Supers the same. There are players wanting to play plan ahead of time and you will get the players start with a small group and advertise for more until you get the amount you are comfortable with. I recommend 4-6.

I don't run d20 or pathfinder and I tend to use the lesser known game systems.

M&M looks interesting im sure you will get a full group.

Draeus
November 4th, 2012, 01:10
Also forgot to add...

I tried all sorts.of virtual table RPG game thingys and to be honest this one of the better ones.

XML scripted for creating modules? I cannot script, programme or even spell! But I still run modules.

Just use the story entry to make notes. Add images as png files.to your campaigns image folder and your away :)

There are some nice free tokens and maps available in the armoury kindly made for your use by the community. All adds to the game and are easy to install.

daddystabz
November 4th, 2012, 03:06
I'm having trouble finding games like crazy on here. I am kinda thinking I wasted money here. This is one reason all my regular players refuse to purchase a membership.

Trenloe
November 4th, 2012, 08:09
I'm having trouble finding games like crazy on here. I am kinda thinking I wasted money here. This is one reason all my regular players refuse to purchase a membership.
You didn't buy a "membership" you bought a product that facilitates you to play role-playing games in a virtual environment - a Virtual Table Top (VTT). Yes, there are issues with the VTT for you as your preference, daddystabz, seems to be for less mainstream games (please correct me if I'm wrong) that aren't "natively" supported by Fantasy Grounds - but you could still play in Fantasy Grounds if you really wanted to.

You have bought a product that is not a game in itself, it does not automatically entitle/guarantee you to any level of time you will be playing games with Fantasy Grounds. Just like if you bought any role-playing game rules from a store, took them home and read them - you won't be able to play the game you just bought unless you actively find a group or start one yourself.

Yes, Fantasy Grounds doesn't natively support all RPG rules down to the lowest level (even the supported rulesets don't provide 100% of the rules in the product) the GM and players still have to do what they would do around a physical table if they were playing a face-to-face game. To play most games, use one of the generic rulesets that allows you to facilitate virtual play and GM/DM/referee the game just like you would normally - but you have shared story entries, maps/image, tokens, notes, various levels of text chat, whispers, etc., etc.. available to you that lets you play online. This has been mentioned in post #6 of this thread before: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17493

To help "find" you a game - what is it exactly you're looking for (RPG rules and game type)? Are you looking to play or GM? Do you want to play one shots or a lasting campaign?

hakfson77
November 4th, 2012, 14:59
Thinks. I will do that. Posting aboit myself is a great idea

hakfson77
November 4th, 2012, 15:06
I would like to thank everyone for their input and getting back on track. Gonna try and purchase a few digital campaigns to see if i can maybe DM. Thnx again

hakfson77
November 4th, 2012, 15:08
I just picked up FGII and the M&M pack and plan on running my first game in January. I haven't decided on if it will be four color or Thundaar the Barbarian, but it will be using the m&m ruleset.

Let me know. Would like to do a M&M game.