PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu (+ possibly others) Weeknight Eastern Time Game

dstack1776
October 16th, 2012, 01:54
Hello all -

With family and other real life issues impacting my gaming group (even my virtual gaming group, with one player having young twins...) I'm looking to expand the our group. (We're down to me and one or two reliable players so you wouldn't be joining a huge established group).

Right now we're looking at resuming out Call of Cthulhu game. It is a 1920s-era game with a bit of a pulp feel to it. We're not talking gunning down elder horrors but rather in a frame of mythos detectives. Our heroes are part of a Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe style detective agency based in New York City that tend to get involved in mythos-related cases. Their foes are typically not the "big bads" of the mythos but rather their human servants and servitors. There is some gunfire but even with that much pulpiness a fair fight is something to avoid - far better to take someone from surprise.

Right now we meet alternating Monday nights at around 7:15 or 7:30 PM US Eastern Time and run about 3 or so hours. We'd be ok moving it to Wednesday or Thursday and the time can be shifted a little bit later.

I have an Ultimate Fantasy Grounds license so there's no need to even have your own license. I've been gaming since the 80s making me old grizzled dude. (OK I'm only 41...)

Though Call of Cthulhu would be the preferred game were interest to be higher for other games would be a possibility should the group be interested.

If you want to get a bit of an idea about me I maintain a blog at https://19thlevel.blogspot.com or you can connect with me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/103136086783416837745 (though there's not much there as I've just migrated from a previous profile to a Google Apps profile).

SilverEagle82
October 16th, 2012, 01:59
I would like to join
I have a lite license already
I can't do wednesdays but can thursdays

blckattk
October 16th, 2012, 05:31
I would also like to join as well.
I already have a license and can do either day

cpbs
October 16th, 2012, 18:43
I was trying to host a CoC in the past and did not get much interest. I would love to play as well if there is anymore room. I have a full license and can meet anytime after 5:30 - 6:00 pm Central Time on the weekdays.

John_Geeshu
October 16th, 2012, 23:20
Also interested.

dstack1776
October 17th, 2012, 03:23
Glad to see the interest. I'll be posting more details - probably over the weekend - and we'l work out exact timing and details.

dstack1776
October 21st, 2012, 23:53
Hey all -

So I've had a little discussion with the current members of the group. What we've been weighing is would it be better for us to keep current setting and characters with new folks as additional investigators or to start with all new characters and setting.

Like I mentioned, right now it's me and two players. My inclination is if we are looking at 2-3+ new folks to do a change of setting and possibly PCs to give everyone equal ownership in the game. With 1-2 new folks it might make sense to have the characters be new investigators in an existing game. The change in setting would probably be from NYC to Boston to allow this Keeper with a family and busy job to liberally raid Chaosium an Miskatonic River Press products.

The framework would likely still be that of a detective agency, though whether set in NYC or Boston there are plenty of universities around to allow for more academic characters to serve as consultants - that's how we did things when the group had more players previously.

As far as schedule goes we are looking at launching in 2-3 weeks - I'd want to get an idea of who we've got and get a bit of a skeleton in place before kicking off play. We currently meet alternate Mondays at 7:15 PM Eastern Time though there's a chance of a move to Wednesdays.

I've been asked if sitting in is possible - it certainly would be but I'd also not take offense at a trial run that doesn't work out.

Let me give you a little idea as to the tone in general. We're really not people out to seek out a deep meaning of life with out gaming. We all have full time jobs and families. We'd love to have longer or more frequent sessions but this is the best we can manage. There is absolutely some goofing around here and there. With that in mind, I've been rather impressed by the resourcefulness I've seen players display with Call of Cthulhu - they've given the Mythos a hefty respect and played things very smart.

I'm thinking of setting up a Google Groups mailing list for further discussion if that provides an easier forum.

dstack1776
October 22nd, 2012, 02:44
I've gone ahead and set up a Google Group for nitty-gritty coordination - feel free to join at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/crusadeforcthulhu (you'll need to request membership - just say you're responding to this and I'll go ahead and add you - just wanna keep the spambots out). That doesn't preclude additional discussion here but it'd be handy for getting down to nuts & bolts.

cpbs
October 22nd, 2012, 15:21
I have applied to the Google group. Did we want to purpose a time to create characters on the server while its up a week or so before the game. Or did you want us to create the character on our end and then import them right before the game?

John_Geeshu
October 23rd, 2012, 02:29
We should coordinate our characters as much as possible so that the group does not suffer from terminal overlap.

cpbs
October 23rd, 2012, 16:24
What, no three history professors all with occult knowledge at 70% and shotgun at 100%? :)

John_Geeshu
October 23rd, 2012, 18:01
Stop stealing my character ideas!

cpbs
October 23rd, 2012, 20:11
Character Idea:

Name: Devon McAllister Jr.

Nickname - Allister

Background: Washout boxer who has taken up sports journalism for the local newspaper. Through his career he has come across some bizarre happenings that have questioned his sanity and through some pleading with his editor, allowed to write a once a week column on weird stories under a pseudonym.

A bachelor with only a stray cat that keeps around for company, Devon has no friends. He gets an assignment once in a while as a consultant from a detective agency. Mainly though his column on weird stories. With the detective agency knowing his true identity behind his pseudonym. He increasingly gets weary with every new case, with the new horrors he has seen. He does not know if he will ever be the same again. But the pay is good enough that he can play nice with the bookies on the weekend.

He still keeps in shape, although he has not heard from the boxing league in over three years, declining his last entry. He has taken a few classes during the summer for journalism and history at Miskatonic University and has made a few connections there.