PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker Rounds and splitting rounds into phases

bennis1980
October 15th, 2012, 16:30
This was originally an email for Dakadin but I thought I'd post it here to see what other people thought and create discussion:

I had an idea for a change to the combat tracker which will be applicable to RMU also. Looking at the CT currently, it kind of forces a GM to use the optional rule for simple rounds (no differentiation between short and long actions). My idea is to break a round into phases as default - 2 phases for RMC (short and long actions), 3 phases for RMU (0-30%, 31%-70%, 71%-100% phases) or 10 phases if using the second by second optional rule. Another optional rule for 1 phase rounds (simple rounds) could be included also.

The combat tracker would increment the round only when the phases have come full circle, which could be displayed down the bottom beside the rounds.

Another option (and I know the CT is becoming quite crowded at this point), players could have a phase tab (like the sword and shield or the status) which displays a check box for each phase depending on which option used and the combat tracker can automaticly skip that phase if they have no action then. That way the GM needs only to click the next player button and doesn't need to juggle the turn-token to avoid effects being applied when they shouldn't.

Any thoughts?

JohnD
October 15th, 2012, 19:37
I'm all for building in all the complexity of the rules... as long as it's done in such a manner that GMs can pick/choose what to enable.

Ardem
October 16th, 2012, 05:14
I would be just happy for a combat tracker that does not cause graphic glitches.

Dakadin
October 16th, 2012, 17:39
I'll add it to my list. I need to figure out the best way to handle it so that it is as intuitive as possible and I will definitely include a preference for it. I want to start including more preferences so GM's can customize it to the way they would like to play.

Dakadin
October 16th, 2012, 17:42
I would be just happy for a combat tracker that does not cause graphic glitches.

I haven't been running my game as much lately but I haven't seen a glitch in awhile. I am using FG v2.9.2 so maybe that resolves it or I might have just been lucky. I know I've seen the same issue in other rulesets besides the RMC ruleset but it definitely was more common in RMC. I think it is a directX issue because of the way the screen artifacts look like other portions of the screen just distorted.

Tiqon
October 16th, 2012, 18:27
Speaking of RMU (that is the "new Rolemaster right? Im so forgetful!). I got the AL today and while I haven't had time to read much, something hit me.

Dakadin, the plan is to implement RMU in the future right? So how about rights for the new rules? I mean, as of now the Classic Rolemaster rules are part of the module, so what with this new one? Do we have the right when we have payed for the module as it is now? Have you talked with ICE about this? Are they ok with that? how does it all fit? What does it all mean?
Hey! a double rainbow! What does it all mean!
*wanders away to catch a double rainbow*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

Dakadin
October 17th, 2012, 06:28
Speaking of RMU (that is the "new Rolemaster right? Im so forgetful!). I got the AL today and while I haven't had time to read much, something hit me.

Dakadin, the plan is to implement RMU in the future right? So how about rights for the new rules? I mean, as of now the Classic Rolemaster rules are part of the module, so what with this new one? Do we have the right when we have payed for the module as it is now? Have you talked with ICE about this? Are they ok with that? how does it all fit? What does it all mean?
Hey! a double rainbow! What does it all mean!
*wanders away to catch a double rainbow*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

Yes the plan is still to implement RMU. I am at the beginning stages of it and most of it is manual at this point but my group has run a session already with RMU. I still have a lot to do at this point.

I am not sure how they will be divided up. I am just going to be working on converting them to FG. Others will need to decide how to package it. I needed to get much farther along before I worry about it though. :o

One other thing to consider is any changes that happen as a result of the beta will require code and content changes for the FG version so I am hesitant to add too much content until things are more finalized. As it is I need to redo the attack and critical tables that I have since there were some changes for the beta release. :(

Ardem
October 19th, 2012, 03:57
I haven't been running my game as much lately but I haven't seen a glitch in awhile. I am using FG v2.9.2 so maybe that resolves it or I might have just been lucky. I know I've seen the same issue in other rulesets besides the RMC ruleset but it definitely was more common in RMC. I think it is a directX issue because of the way the screen artifacts look like other portions of the screen just distorted.

I get it pretty much every game and only when the combat window is loaded. So it something specific to that, I can work around it as i normally goes away pretty quick but it more annoying then anything else. Not sure what version I am using I think whatever the latest general public release.

It might be a conflict clash somehow with displayed images and something in the combat tracker. I am not sure I not experiment enough to bother to track it down.