PDA

View Full Version : First Steps: Part 3-A Vision of Betrayal

Blackfoot
October 14th, 2012, 23:05
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st level characters.

Dispatched on an envoy mission overland from Absalom to port city Escadar, you must weather the harsh wilderness of the Isle of Kortos before you can hope to meet with the representative of the elusive gillmen, and only then come face to face with the greatest threat to the Pathfinder Society.

Written by Larry Wilhelm.

Sign up on the Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=907) AND post to this thread. Players will be accepted in the order of posting here.

Syndrome
October 15th, 2012, 00:46
when would the play time be?

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 00:49
The gametime is listed in the calendar title. 13:00 GMT.. (9am EDT)

neceros
October 15th, 2012, 03:24
I'm interested.

Would you allow any subraces? Particularly, aquatic species?

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 03:27
If you have an appropriate PFS Boon then you can play races other than the ones that are normally legal in PFS play.
(Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Half-elf, Half-orc, Aasimar, Teifling, Tengu)
This is a Pathfinder Society game so all PFS rules apply.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2012, 03:42
This is a Pathfinder Society game so all PFS rules apply.
I've added a brief intro to PFS in a new sticky thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

I'll add more info as required as I'm hoping this will be a good intro to players new to PFS and playing here.

neceros
October 15th, 2012, 03:44
I've added a brief intro to PFS in a new sticky thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

I'll add more info as required as I'm hoping this will be a good intro to players new to PFS and playing here.

Thanks, I am new.

Syndrome
October 15th, 2012, 03:47
i would like to participate in this.... im a monk level 1... ive played in pfs game so far... will probably be playing in another this wednesday as well

Trenloe
October 15th, 2012, 03:48
Thanks, I am new.
Cool - no worries, I'd presumed that you were new to PFS. :)

Welcome on board - if you have questions, start a new thread with your questions in the forum. We don't want to take up Blackfoot's game discussion thread... :)

Viktor
October 15th, 2012, 04:00
count me in

Samson
October 15th, 2012, 07:54
I would love to give the Pathfinder Society Organized Play a try. For me it makes sense to start out with one of the pregens: either Valeros the fighter or Ezren the wizard--whichever would serve the group better.

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 13:19
All players please post the following info:
Character Name - Class
PFS#
Level:
XP:
Fame(PP):
GP:
Faction:
Chronicle #

Syndrome
October 15th, 2012, 17:21
Dante Monk
PFS#66168
Level:1
XP:1
Fame(PP):2(0)
GP:574
Faction: Shadow lodge
Chronicle # 1

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 17:34
The 'Chronicle #' is actually just the ordering for the pieces of paper (or pdfs) you receive as chronicle sheets.
If you run first steps 1-3 in order and get nothing else... part 3 might be 'Chronicle #3'
If you get a boon.. or play a module.. your number might be different.
My rogue has done 3 missions but one of them was a module so he has 5 xp but only has 3 chronicles.
The Chronicle Number basically just helps keep them all in order.

Syndrome
October 15th, 2012, 17:43
so ive ran 1 chronicle so far so it would be 1 in that slot in other words

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 17:45
so ive ran 1 chronicle so far so it would be 1 in that slot in other words
Exactly. It's not that complicated a thing. Some GMs ignore it.. but I find it's easier as a player if it is included on my chronicles along with everything else.. so I try and include all the details.

LegalBeagle
October 15th, 2012, 21:05
I've played as a player and a GM on this one. Would still like to give it a go, even for no credit (if you'll allow it).

Blackfoot
October 15th, 2012, 23:34
I've played as a player and a GM on this one. Would still like to give it a go, even for no credit (if you'll allow it).
The 'First Steps' can all be replayed for credit as often as you like, provided you play with a different character each time and that character is level 1.

Blackfoot
October 16th, 2012, 01:09
Don't forget to post those characters up here ASAP.

Samson
October 16th, 2012, 05:25
Here you go, Blackfoot.

Valeros - Fighter (pregen)
PFS#: 66411
Level: 1
XP: 0
Fame(PP): 0
GP: 6
Faction: Andoran
Chronicle #: 0

Blackfoot
October 16th, 2012, 14:27
Here you go, Blackfoot.

Valeros - Fighter (pregen)

PFS#: 66411-1
GP: 150
Faction: Andoran
Chronicle #: 1
Actually, Samson, playing a pregen you don't actually get the 'stuff' from the character. As a result you actually will have 150gp as your starting gold on your chronicle... and your Chronicle number will be 1. Note the -1 on your PFS # refers to your 'first' PFS character.. additional ones will be -2 and so forth.

You will also want to give me the 'name' of the character to which the chronicle is going to be applied... but you can wait to do that until the end of the game if you like. Once you've gotten a feel for how PFS play goes and what sort of character you'd like to create.

Viktor
October 16th, 2012, 16:29
PFS#: 65655 - 2
XP: 2
Fame(PP): 3 (3)
GP: 1073
Faction: Osirion
Chronicle #: 3

Samson
October 17th, 2012, 07:23
Actually, Samson, playing a pregen you don't actually get the 'stuff' from the character. As a result you actually will have 150gp as your starting gold on your chronicle... and your Chronicle number will be 1. Note the -1 on your PFS # refers to your 'first' PFS character.. additional ones will be -2 and so forth.

You will also want to give me the 'name' of the character to which the chronicle is going to be applied... but you can wait to do that until the end of the game if you like. Once you've gotten a feel for how PFS play goes and what sort of character you'd like to create.

OK, Blackfoot. I will give an additional character some thought. Do I need to register both characters with Paizo before the session starts? Also, it's been a while since I've played using Fantasy Grounds. I am guessing I input my character before play. Beyond that, will we be using any sort of audio chat?

neceros
October 17th, 2012, 11:56
Ok, I'm in. I've read up on the society stuff, but I would like some leeway when I do things I'm not supposed to. Consider my character out of society for some reason.

neceros
October 17th, 2012, 11:59
Bormin Flashflood the 3rd - Cleric
PFS# 2501
Faction: None
Chronicle # 1

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 15:44
Ok, I'm in. I've read up on the society stuff, but I would like some leeway when I do things I'm not supposed to. Consider my character out of society for some reason.
I'm not sure I understand this statement. This is a PFS game. All characters will be members of the Society, if you are not interested in that sort of game there are other venues, you will follow the rules listed in the Guide if you intend to play in Society games.

Also ... the PFS number you've listed above does not include a character number but it appears to be a very 'old' number ... (they are giving out 5 digit numbers now and have been for like 2 years at least) ... You have a PFS number that old and your first character is level 1?

neceros
October 17th, 2012, 15:50
I'm not sure I understand this statement. This is a PFS game. All characters will be members of the Society, if you are not interested in that sort of game there are other venues, you will follow the rules listed in the Guide if you intend to play in Society games.

Also ... the PFS number you've listed above does not include a character number but it appears to be a very 'old' number ... (they are giving out 5 digit numbers now and have been for like 2 years at least) ... You have a PFS number that old and your first character is level 1?

I'm interested in learning how the society play works. I don't know the rules well, so I'm learning.

As for the number, you're correct. This is my number. I've been apart of this community for quite a long time, but I've never done society play before. I make character sheets and other write ups.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 15:55
OK, Blackfoot. I will give an additional character some thought. Do I need to register both characters with Paizo before the session starts? Also, it's been a while since I've played using Fantasy Grounds. I am guessing I input my character before play. Beyond that, will we be using any sort of audio chat?You are playing a 'pregen' (which I already have built into FG so no worries there) and will receive a chronicle which you can apply to your own character. You are welcome to build your own character before hand but that is not required. I will need a name for the character when I go to report it and a PFS number (which you have already supplied me) .. otherwise you are not required to have the character completed before the game since you will not be playing that character in the game.

I'm pretty willing to work with new players to help them construct PFS legal characters if you do need any help or would prefer to play your own character in the game on Saturday...

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 15:57
I'm interested in learning how the society play works. I don't know the rules well, so I'm learning.

As for the number, you're correct. This is my number. I've been apart of this community for quite a long time, but I've never done society play before. I make character sheets and other write ups.
Well these games are perfect for learning... that is their intention really... so welcome aboard and we'll see you on Saturday.

mr lol
October 17th, 2012, 16:01
Hello, I would like to join too.
I am new to this online roleplay thing, and also new to Pathfinder.
But ive played alot of 3rd edition D&D in the past.
I'll start with a simple dwarf fighter if thats ok.

PFS# 65948-1
GP: 21
Faction: Grand Lodge
Chronicle # no clue :)

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 16:03
Mr lol welcome aboard.
Please sign up on the calendar... you'll find the link to it in the first message of this post.

BTW.. anyone wondering about voice we'll be using the FG Teamspeak server. The server info is listed in my signature.

Manium
October 17th, 2012, 17:03
Sign me up, boss!

EDIT: D'aw too late D:
If a slot opens up, let me know.

DAWPage
October 17th, 2012, 17:05
Keese - Dwarf Ranager
XP:2/PP:4/GP:576/ID:56205-3

Character should already be on your server. Let me know if you want me to repost.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 19:55
Syndrome - Dante
neceros - Bormin
Viktor - Grey
Samson - Valeros
LegalBeagle - ???
mr lol - Boinus

---Waitlist---
Manium - Merric
DAWPage - Keese

I am still waiting for a character from LegalBeagle AND Syndrome.

Isn't Merric level 2? If not he is first up should we have a no show.

If Keese hasn't changed since the last game, yes, I still have him. You are second in line on the waitlist.

We DO often have people that have issues that come up for these so I will be giving away reserved slots of those NOT online 15 minutes before gametime.
Be SURE you have both Teamspeak and at least a Lite License of Fantasy Grounds working at that time. Anyone who is NOT prepared will lose their spot.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 20:03
I repeat..
I am still waiting for a character from LegalBeagle AND Syndrome.

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 21:57
GP: 21
You seem to have miscalculated the cost of your gear. You are over your starting 150gp by a good bit.
Note: The Healer's Kit costs '50 gp' that may be what nailed you... I'm not sure.. it looks like your numbers are off by about 36 gp.

Syndrome
October 17th, 2012, 22:00
well i am actually about to play a game in 15 minutes so i was waiting til after to upload character sorry for the delay lol.. and also the original post didnt say and syndrome so i didnt realize it lol

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 22:01
well i am actually about to play a game in 15 minutes so i was waiting til after to upload character sorry for the delay lol
No worries. I'd like to have him by Friday afternoon.

Syndrome
October 17th, 2012, 22:02
ill upload the xml on here after im done with this game tonight

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 22:03
Thanks.
(yeah.. I figured.. that's why I added the second post when I realized that I was missing your character as well.)

Syndrome
October 17th, 2012, 22:06
ah okay lol

Blackfoot
October 17th, 2012, 22:18
Bormin Flashflood the 3rd - Cleric
PFS# 2501
Faction: None
Chronicle # 1
Neceros.. it looks like you have a few problems with your character. I can make arrangements to have the server up one evening before the game if you'd like some help sorting out the issues...

mr lol
October 18th, 2012, 13:17
You seem to have miscalculated the cost of your gear. You are over your starting 150gp by a good bit.
Note: The Healer's Kit costs '50 gp' that may be what nailed you... I'm not sure.. it looks like your numbers are off by about 36 gp.

It seems i was a little sloppy with my gear calculations yes.
I wrote it all down and did it right this time :square:

Blackfoot
October 18th, 2012, 13:49
mr lol, you'll be pleased to know that you get 1 'free' outfit (that costs and weighs nothing) and coins have no weight in PFS play. So that gives you a few more coins left over.

mr lol
October 18th, 2012, 14:33
Okay thanx.

Updated my sheet again.

Blackfoot
October 18th, 2012, 17:03
Viktor - Grey - Ready to go.
Samson - Valeros - Ready to go.
mr lol - Boinus - Ready to go.

Syndrome - Dante - No Character File.
neceros - Bormin - Character not legal for PFS Play.
LegalBeagle - ??? - No Character File.

---Waitlist---
Manium - ??? - No Character File.
DAWPage - Keese - Ready to go.

neceros, your character is not legal for play. We need to get together and fix the errors. It won't take long but I don't want to be working on this 5 minutes before gametime. Contact me ASAP to arrange a time.

I am still waiting for characters from LegalBeagle, Syndrome, Manium.

Merric is level 2. I will need another submission, but you are still first on waitlist.

Manium
October 18th, 2012, 20:07
I thought I attached the .xml to my first post in this thread, but here it is again:

PFS ID : # 58283-1
Faction : Grand Lodge
Starting Gold : Not sure myself.
Starting PP : 8
Starting Fame : Not sure.

Trenloe
October 18th, 2012, 20:12
I thought I attached the .xml to my first post in this thread, but here it is again:

PFS ID : # 58283-1
Faction : Grand Lodge
Starting Gold : Not sure myself.
Starting PP : 8
Starting Fame : Not sure.
Hey Manium - Blackfoot was actually pointing out that this is a level 2 character - first steps scenarios can only be played by level 1 characters. It is a subtier 1 only adventure, so you'll need to provide a different PC.

Blackfoot
October 18th, 2012, 22:09
Yep. That's right.

Syndrome
October 18th, 2012, 23:36
alright here we go

Blackfoot
October 18th, 2012, 23:37
alright here we go
Great, thanks. I'll get him loaded up right away.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 01:18
I am like the other fellow in that I've had a PFS # from the dawn of time but have never played. Any chance you could add me to the backup and I could just use a pregen? How late do you think the session will go?

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 01:21
I am like the other fellow in that I've had a PFS # from the dawn of time but have never played. Any chance you could add me to the backup and I could just use a pregen? How late do you think the session will go?With 2 on the waitlist already it is unlikely there will be another spot. I will be running this, or another of the First Steps scenarios again in the future though.
These games generally run between 4 and 5 hours.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 01:27
Is it possible for me to sign on just to observe how the game goes down?

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 01:47
That would be fine, and you are welcome to play, if we do not end up getting a full table.

I try hard to stick to the timetable (an often difficult thing to do) so I must ask you not to be disruptive while observing. You are welcome to email me questions that I will be glad to answer after the game.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 01:56
Great, I will be there to observe then with no real-time dialog/chat.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 02:00
Sorry, what will be the server log-in?

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 02:12
Join the game on the calendar. The server info is there.
Also, if a slot does open... which pregen would you prefer to play? That way I can make sure to have it loaded before the game.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 02:35
I will play whichever pre-gen is needed to round out the party. No real preference.

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 04:22
I will use Ezren the pre-gen wizard renamed to Krendall. Is that okay?

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 05:38
Sure. That's fine.

Manium
October 19th, 2012, 05:38
Yep. That's right.

My bad xD, I'll run as Kyra the Cleric pregen, renamed to Kyle for gender purposes.
(Just replace all the she's and her's in the description to him's and his).

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 05:40
OK. NP. I have the character loaded already.

Samson
October 19th, 2012, 06:17
You are playing a 'pregen' (which I already have built into FG so no worries there) and will receive a chronicle which you can apply to your own character. You are welcome to build your own character before hand but that is not required. I will need a name for the character when I go to report it and a PFS number (which you have already supplied me) .. otherwise you are not required to have the character completed before the game since you will not be playing that character in the game.

I'm pretty willing to work with new players to help them construct PFS legal characters if you do need any help or would prefer to play your own character in the game on Saturday...

Blackfoot, I gave character creation a go. Meet Devin, the Halfling Bard. I figured I needed a lively PC to keep me awake at the 5:00 AM start time. According to Hero Lab, I've spent 94gp on gear, and I don't think my remaining gold is accurate. Please look him over and suggest any modifications. I found the Maestro of the Society trait in Hero Lab. The source is the Pathfinder Campaign: Traits book. I also found it in the Player's Guide to the Shattered Star Adventure Path.

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 06:21
Campaign Traits are not legal in PFS play... they are replaced by 'faction' traits which you can find in the guide. Hero Lab should have told you that it wasn't legal if you had the PFS rules turned on... it should be right at the top under settings.

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 06:47
Samson, if you are Pacific time.. the game should be starting at 6am PDT. I think your time zone might be messed up on the site.. check your daylight savings setting.

Samson
October 19th, 2012, 06:49
Campaign Traits are not legal in PFS play... they are replaced by 'faction' traits which you can find in the guide. Hero Lab should have told you that it wasn't legal if you had the PFS rules turned on... it should be right at the top under settings.

In this revised sheet, I have one Combat and one Race trait.

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 13:35
neceros, I need to hear from you today about your character. I will have the server up this afternoon and I will be on Teamspeak as well to help anyone with issues.

Also.. we have 9 peeps signed up now... with a bunch in pacific time.. I 'could' run this a second time in the afternoon (my time) if we get enough attendance. It currently looks like we might have a couple of no-shows as I haven't heard back from a couple of people... so this 'may' not be an issue... but... I guess we'll see who shows up at gametime (9am EDT). If we get 8 or 9.. I'll offer to let the west coast guys go back to bed and run a second session at 2pm EDT.

Samson
October 19th, 2012, 17:54
neceros, I need to hear from you today about your character. I will have the server up this afternoon and I will be on Teamspeak as well to help anyone with issues.

Also.. we have 9 peeps signed up now... with a bunch in pacific time.. I 'could' run this a second time in the afternoon (my time) if we get enough attendance. It currently looks like we might have a couple of no-shows as I haven't heard back from a couple of people... so this 'may' not be an issue... but... I guess we'll see who shows up at gametime (9am EDT). If we get 8 or 9.. I'll offer to let the west coast guys go back to bed and run a second session at 2pm EDT.

Thanks for your flexibility, Blackfoot. Because of a kid's soccer game, the 6AM start works fine with me. What time will your server be up and running? I would like to do a test connect to make sure I've got FG somewhat figured out.

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 18:22
I should have it up in a couple hours... it's about 1 here now.. I'll put it up around 3.

Samson
October 19th, 2012, 18:29
I should have it up in a couple hours... it's about 1 here now.. I'll put it up around 3.

No rush. I won't be at my home computer until 7:00 or 8:00 your time. I can also try a bit before the game tomorrow morning.

Manium
October 19th, 2012, 21:02
Can I apply the chronicle sheet from this session to a pre-existing character that's greater than lvl 1?

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2012, 21:21
No.. you can only apply this chronicle to a level 1 character.

Also.. the alias I had listed on the calendar had a typo.
should be: tiny fang huge ogre

Bidmaron
October 19th, 2012, 23:42
I won't be home until about 9 EDT but I could test as early as 6:30AM if ok

Manium
October 20th, 2012, 04:18
I've made a new character for the session,
would it be possible to have the server up a bit earlier so I can upload my character onto the server?

Blackfoot
October 20th, 2012, 04:19
The server is up right now.

Samson
October 20th, 2012, 07:01
Blackfoot, I thought a little more about my character concept and created a different bard. I think everything will check out OK. I'll arrive at the game early so we can roll day job rewards.

Blackfoot
October 20th, 2012, 07:01
Umm.. I'm sorry. It's too late for that option.

Samson
October 20th, 2012, 07:16
Umm.. I'm sorry. It's too late for that option.

Ok, I completely understand. I'll use the Character Retraining option once the session is over.

Blackfoot
October 20th, 2012, 07:35
Viktor - Grey - Ready to go.
Samson - Devin - Ready to go.
mr lol - Boinus - Ready to go.
Syndrome - Dante - Ready to go.
Manium - Valerie - Ready to go.
DAWPage - Keese - Ready to go.

Looks like the other two guys are out as I did not get legal characters in time for the game. I am closing down now and will be back up 30 minutes prior to gametime.

mr lol
October 21st, 2012, 00:01
thanx blackfoot, for setting up a good game and not killing us all :)
oh, and curse that gillman caster...lol

cu around m8