PDA

View Full Version : Quick update on C&C 3.0

dr_venture
October 12th, 2012, 03:31
Things are pretty quiet in this forum - I hope that when I get this update done, it's not just me and the play testers celebrating!

This is just a quick note to let folks know it's being worked on. I'm just starting to get my brain wrapped around developing in FG2... got a few scripts done, a few small mods in place. There is an pretty extensive rework to the graphics, which I think looks pretty sharp, and the Smiteworks guys have given an initial OK to. All the major functionality is in place and basically usable (thanks to our mysteriously departed friend Sorcerer - thank you my friend, wherever you are). My job is just cleaning up the many smallish errors/bugs. It'll still be a while as the going is slow, but it *is* being worked on.

Many, many thanks to my code sensei, Dakadin, who has been very patient and kind to give me tips and directions, even when he has so much FG dev work on his own plate. Three cheers and a tiger for you!!!

So check in, you C&C players and GMs: how many of you are there?

damned
October 12th, 2012, 04:03
Im just starting a new campaign next week. Looks like I will have a few players who will be new to Fantasy Grounds and to Castles & Crusades.

dittotb
October 12th, 2012, 15:40
It is always appreciated when anyone adds to a ruleset.
Have you thought about setting up a wishlist for users to submit? That might elicit more visible interest in your project. Just an idea.

dr_venture
October 12th, 2012, 16:16
I haven't set up a list yet, as there's so much work to be done just finishing what's on the table, and I still find the whole project so daunting. This will be a pretty substantial update with a lot of nifty features, and a couple of very useful ones. But I do agree: once this one's done and folks know where we're starting from, I'll start up one of those lists to get folks discussing what would improve their game the most. Thanks, dittotb! Are you a C&C player, or just showing support?

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2012, 18:44
The Idea Informer site is really easy to set up for wish lists, if you want to give it a try. Thanks to PhantomWhale for scoping it out first. Check my sig for the FG wish list as an example.

JPG

dittotb
October 12th, 2012, 21:16
I run two games currently using CnC.
I have run many different systems in my life.
I have been involved with roleplaying since highschool in the 70's.

dr_venture
October 13th, 2012, 22:41
Sounds like we're very similar in our gaming and history :) I love knowing that all this pain in the butt is going to be appreciated by folks other than me. You'll like the new version - some much needed functionality. Still no group pages, like 3.5/4e - which I'm dying for - but rollable tables and draggable inventory are awesome! Ran the first session of my test campaign last night, and everything worked as expected, so that's good.

damned
October 14th, 2012, 00:37
im not really sure what features im looking for? drag and drog equipment and spells are of course very useful. what else does it really need to do?

dr_venture
October 14th, 2012, 08:01
Thing's I'd like which aren't in either the current or development versions of the ruleset, just off the top of my head:

* Now that the inventory will be drag/dropable, I'd love some kind of 'shopping cart' window that you could drop items into and it would tally the costs... then when you were done, would transfer the items to a selected character.

* A party sheet like 3.5/4e, that has total party inventory & money, marching order, sleep schedule, abilities overview, languages overview, etc.

* Inventory sheet that is collapsible, so that you can hide & show the contents of containers.

* I'd *really* like to implement some kind of battlemat layering, so that scenic items could be put on a lower layer than the combatants, etc. I believe Dr. Z has implemented something like this - perhaps it can be ported.

* Supporting some of the optional rules from the CK's Guide, like alternate ability bonus tables.

* Hierarchical & collapsible Modifiers and Effects window (just the basic modifiers from the & a lot of scrolling rulebooks makes for a lengthy list).

* The new version will have rollable tables, so making all of the tables in the tables in both of the main rulebooks rollable within the ruleset would be sweet.

...there are more, but that's just off the top of my head. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but I think that this next version covers several of the big things I was looking for in an upgrade.

dr_venture
October 14th, 2012, 08:07
Oh, and I don't know if this is even possible (Dakadin? Moon?) but I'd *love* to add some way for the GM to be able to change the 'speaker' of a chat window entry after it's been entered. Specifically, there is at least 3 or more times per session that as GM, I type in a line of text and forget to check the ID of the speaker, so it shows some dramatic text in the GM's voice, or I enter spoken text as a story item without thinking. Very frustrating! I'd love the ability to use a drop-down or context menu or something to change the speaker to one of the other IDs that the GM has available at that moment down on the bottom left side of the screen.

...but I have a sinking feeling that the chat text isn't entered into an easily editable XML doc when it's added...

Trenloe
October 14th, 2012, 08:16
* I'd *really* like to implement some kind of battlemat layering, so that scenic items could be put on a lower layer than the combatants, etc. I believe Dr. Z has implemented something like this - perhaps it can be ported.
Yes he has, for the 4E ruleset - get it from here: https://www.drzeuss.co.uk/fantasy-grounds-ii/extensions/

This latest extension has been written for 2.9.1 where 4E and 3.5E have very similar (the same?) file structure. With Dr Zeuss's permission I ported this to the 3.5E ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15647 I shouldn't take any credit as it was a very simple port for this version. :)

Moon Wizard
October 14th, 2012, 19:15
There is no easy way to modify the chat window data, other than changing the way totals are displayed. There are a few features that I have been noticing that would be nice, but they aren't requested as much as other things at this point.

Make sure to add your chat speaker change request to the wish list. I tend to group things on the wish list; so if I'm working on a highly requested item, I often pull in other less requested items related to that area of the product.

On the collapsible inventory side, I'd love to see what you end up with. I've had that as a low-priority item on my wish list for a long time.

Regards,
JPG

Aergraith
October 15th, 2012, 19:56
I run C&C games in FG occasionally, and will make a special effort to test your work whenever it's ready.

damned
October 15th, 2012, 22:15
DrV - how do I download the current version? Am rolling up Characters and doing an intri for the new players this weekend. Thanks!

Crowley72
October 22nd, 2012, 17:27
Playtester here....

I run a group Sunday's. We took a break over the summer because I was getting more motorcycle time into my schedule, and now we are back at the table.

Our main campaign is on hold due to the time constraints of the group, but we are dedicating our time with a new campaign (and characters) to help find bugs! It is a great update, I am sure you all will appreciate it.

C

dittotb
December 7th, 2012, 02:26
Just wondering how you are doing so far?
Thanks again for taking on this project.

dr_venture
December 7th, 2012, 02:49
Going very slow - have had many distractions lately. I'm very interested in seeing it done, but it's gonna take a while. Sorry for the slow progress.

Dershem
December 8th, 2012, 13:52
keep plugging away we all appreciate the work you are doing.

dr_venture
December 8th, 2012, 16:51
Thanks, folks... makes it more fun to work on when I know there are folks who are going to enjoy the end product. I'll try to make some stabs at it today, in fact!

damned
December 9th, 2012, 01:16
there are a couple of C&c games running just now which is good. most of my players are new to C&C too. we have 7 players in teh current group and last night we had a drop in pick up an absent character so the good word is being spread :)
we are using the beta ruleset - there are some glitches but no show stoppers. the main one we are experiencing is the initiative one you aer working on in the other thread.

Dershem
December 9th, 2012, 12:04
I think to me the biggest hitch is the players have to buy the books as well, I don't think to many folks are keen into buying a ruleset they may or may not play.

damned
December 9th, 2012, 12:14
its true - to get the best experience the players need to buy the rule-set
its also true that many players baulk at this

however I don't understand that way of thinking. the rule-set costs less than a movie ticket, not that much more than a meal at maccas and they will spend many, many hours playing it. how much easier does your game run when you have a full featured rule-set - it saves so much more than $10 worth of time - and coding your own rule-set off a free edition is going to take many dozens or hundreds of hours.
i know, i know, each to their own - i personally just don't get it.
i only started playing castles&crusades BECAUSE there was a full featured rule-set available on fantasy grounds. i wanted something i could use and use quickly and easily... that's just my experience.
dr_venture is currently working on some updates and i am thoroughly looking forward to buying the rule-set again (i have no idea if it will be a free upgrade or not but either way i'm going to buy another copy) as a tiny vote of thanks. his time is valuable - to me :)

whichever way you go - so long as you are having fun its all good :)

dr_venture
December 9th, 2012, 19:03
Talysian, I hear ya. Compared to other rulesets that might cost a bit more but give the players more access, I think your observation is definitely valid and relevant. It's an interesting tactic the Troll Lord (I assume it was their decision) has taken on this ruleset. Basically, I think they've gambled that more folks will be willing to kick in $10 because they're not only getting the ability to have a better player experience, they're getting a complete, playable ruleset they can GM (I don't know if you're a C&C player, but the equivalent of the DM's guide for C&C is completely optional - you only need the PHB and Monsters book that come with teh FG ruleset). Perhaps they're thinking this will in turn drive more sales of C&C-related merch as folks adopt the game? Dunno...

My personal justification to my players is usually that for less than half the price of a Player's Handbook for the current version of D&D (something that most players I've had in face-to-face games wind up purchasing anyway), they get the entire basic game. YMMV, of course :)

Dershem
December 9th, 2012, 19:15
I am, I own physical copies of all their books ;) I really agree if they made it so just the gm had to purchase even if they raised the price by ten dollars, it would probably make getting a game together on here much easier.

damned
December 9th, 2012, 22:45
hi talysian - fwiw none of my players have bought the rule-set either so it means its often quicker for me to drag items and spells into teh character sheets for them... it doesnt stop any of us playing but it does add 10mins to every game session.
i would certainly be onboard a more expensive gm rule-set that allows players to access it while connected...

Dershem
December 13th, 2012, 04:36
Feature request for the update, something I've been thinking of, you know how the castlekeeper guide has the option for prime / secondary / Tertiary would it be possible to add another row of check boxes in for tertiary?

dr_venture
December 13th, 2012, 05:49
Secondary stats (and thus Tertiary stats) has already been implemented as a new feature in the 3.0 ruleset that is under development. So it's on the way... hang in there, it's a-commin'.

Dershem
December 14th, 2012, 02:35
Need a playtester?

dr_venture
December 14th, 2012, 06:41
There might be room for a play tester in 1 of the two games that I know of that are being run with the 3.0b ruleset (I know have room for 1 more player - Greyhawk, alternating Fridays), but I think we're set right now for people writing bugs and running games. I do *very much* appreciate the offer, though!

Dershem
December 14th, 2012, 20:26
No problem I as more offering to test out as far as running, I would have offered sooner but I've been away from the forums for a long while.

Magnatude
January 8th, 2013, 05:57
Yo... one thing we had noticed with the last version was a problem with the weapon damage. Load in one die, its ok, load in 2 die... you get 3 instead (eg; trying to load in 2d6, instead loads 3D6... tested all dice types and its the same)
Seems to be consitent with all the players in our group.

btw, sorry been absent from these forums, Doc you can skype me if you wish (richard.kurbis) our C&C group plays on Sundays.

dr_venture
January 8th, 2013, 17:44
I remember this coming up some time ago, but can't remember the exact resolution. Wasn't this fixed in one of Sorcerer's patches? I assume you're using the latest patch that updates C&C to 2.081?

I'm happy to report that this bug looks fixed in the 3.0 ruleset - I just tried it, and the damage dice seem to work fine. Now I just need to get all those bugs fixed and the product released... doing my best, but it's going to be a while. I'm still working on it, tho!

Dershem
January 10th, 2013, 00:43
Patches/extension fixed it

Magnatude
January 15th, 2013, 04:29
We had a game on Sunday, and none of the players could correctly insert 2 dice into the damage area of our weapons... it would always add 1 additional die. except when only adding 1 die.

Not so bad for my bearded axe which needed 3d4 (I would just put 2d4 in the slot and the additional die would be erroneously added) but when people need a 2d6 Two Handed sword... its impossible. We ended up just making a quick-slot with the proper roll.

Also I've noticed a problem with creating new characters in the manager... they wont save. And yes this is with the ext enabled.

Just something all our 6 players have encountered. (I'm using Ultimate and the rest of the gang is using Full... but I'm currently not the CK in this group)

Trenloe
January 15th, 2013, 07:00
Also I've noticed a problem with creating new characters in the manager... they wont save. And yes this is with the ext enabled.
I don't think "manage characters" has ever worked for the C&C ruleset, I don't think it was designed to work (i.e. the extra code needed to make it work was not written).

Dershem
January 15th, 2013, 22:29
We had a game on Sunday, and none of the players could correctly insert 2 dice into the damage area of our weapons... it would always add 1 additional die. except when only adding 1 die.

Not so bad for my bearded axe which needed 3d4 (I would just put 2d4 in the slot and the additional die would be erroneously added) but when people need a 2d6 Two Handed sword... its impossible. We ended up just making a quick-slot with the proper roll.

Just something all our 6 players have encountered. (I'm using Ultimate and the rest of the gang is using Full... but I'm currently not the CK in this group)

Make sure your gm has the C&C version 2.081 extension enabled. This should fix dice the issue.