PDA

View Full Version : Aces & Eights

daddystabz
October 12th, 2012, 03:29
Any thoughts on a framework for this game???

damned
October 12th, 2012, 04:04
im just curious daddystabz - is there a game you havent requested?

daddystabz
October 12th, 2012, 04:10
I keep requesting because I am not seeing a lot of great games supported by this great table. It is a major reason I can't get my players to use FG....along with the cost too.

dr_venture
October 12th, 2012, 07:32
Dad's an old west aficionado, looking for the right ruleset... wish I coulda helped. On the Aces & Eights front, I know it showed up at some point in conversation - I think regarding a Sidewinder: Recoiled 'ruleset' I put together (really just a minor mod of 3.5 that I never made into a mod). I remember some conversation about either a card deck, or the aiming system used, but no other details. You might want to search the forums. Don't know if that's any help.

damned
October 12th, 2012, 07:55
i dont mean to be rude but its probably going to appear a little that way....

I am not seeing a lot of great games supported by this great table
there are a lot of good ulesets available and a lot of not as well developed ones too. i guess what "a lot of great games" means different things to different people.

there are way less games on FG than there are in print because it takes dozens and dozens (many hundreds sometimes) of hours to build a new ruleset.

how do you play all these games in person? if all you need is a way to share images and battlemaps and to throw dice then the platform supports it - just like a physical table. to write code to handle combat and damage and initiative and effects and update character sheets and handle atribute modifiers and level bonuses etc is just a massive job. thats why only a few rulesets with decent player bases are ever going to get good rulesets.

along with the cost too
you say you have difficulty getting your players to pay for FG? how do you play all those games? far and away they are commercial releases that require someone to pay for the books or pdf's - they are not free. a lite license costs less than the PDF rules for most of these games.

i had a quick look and by my count you have requested games/rulesets for at least the following -
Star Wars Edge Of Empire
Barbarians of Lemuria
Shadows Of Esteren
RuneQuest 6
Beasts & Barbarians
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Interface Zero
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
The One Ring
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Ubiquity Roleplaying System
OpenQuest
50 Fathoms
Iron Dynasty
Savage Worlds Deluxe
Aces & Eights

im not sure what im trying to say here - it just seems there are a lot of rulesets out there that you dont want to play and you just want rulests for games that you are honestly going to spend how long playing?

you can use any existing ruleset to play a different genre if you want. role playing is great like that - its mostly just your imagination :) hope i havent offended you.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2012, 08:53
Or... rather than not play a great game because their isn't a a ruleset, use one of the generic/core/foundation rulesets designed to give you a solid base for playing most/any games.

Foundation Core: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15866
UNIversal CORE: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Unicore
Base: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Base_Ruleset

I'm sure I've seen/heard of others as well, but can't find them quickly.

What these will do for you is facilitate story, map and image sharing; map functionality (tokens, drawing, etc.); text chat; and, of course, dice rolling. Essentially what you have at your table - you (yourself) work out all of the rules, results, etc., etc....

Then, if you want to focus on a specific game, these rulesets are setup to be easily expanded one step at a time - perhaps the first step would be to create a character sheet specific to the game you're playing...

Griogre
October 12th, 2012, 18:46
There's even the Generic Ruleset which is bascially a blank character sheet and dice roller. You can get it here: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Generic

daddystabz
October 16th, 2012, 03:19
MY players do not want to use FG with the exception of a couple because

A) It costs money and some of them are currently unemployed. As long as there are good alternatives out there (ie MapTool) they see no reason to pay.

B) The table doe not have rulesets for a lot of games they want to play....once again making a heavy monetary investment in the table a waste for them.

I myself have a GM license and have bought many supplements and rulesets so I have supported FG with my hard-earned money and don't really need to be lectured about the fact that a lot of people don't want to use FG for these 2 reasons I mentioned above. I've encountered this problem with group after group when I try to pitch FG to them. A lot of gamers are cheap bastages!