PDA

View Full Version : Character Generator and Import?

malvok
October 9th, 2012, 21:50
Does anyone know of a good Rolemaster 2nd edition/classic character generator? Is there a way to import characters from such a generator into the FG RMC ruleset?

Tiqon
October 10th, 2012, 06:11
If there is let me know too ;). As of now I use FG2's own "editor" as far as that can take it (adding race and such). I dont like the way you are meant to add ranks in FG2, so I made a simple excel that handles adding ranks to skills, but you have to manually edit the cost for all skills atm. As for a import program, I would like to see one, but I dont think there is one tbh. Though my time here has been short so I could be wrong.

Dakadin
October 10th, 2012, 07:38
There are a few of them on Iron Crown's website. I don't know what the best one is and don't have time to research it. If everyone can agree on one of the Excel version to use, I can try writing a macro that will create an XML file that can be imported into FG.

Tiqon
October 10th, 2012, 08:00
If everyone can agree on one of the Excel version to use, ....

Hehe... that might be the biggest problem ;). Excel is great and I have made some really advanced char sheets for our own houserule heavy ruleset. Its all fine as long as you have made the sheet yourself, but my experience is that the sheets I have found (for more than one rpg) gets to complicated and you have to use too much time to learn how it works... so unless you make tons of chars it has never been something I could find the time to get into (others sheets) compared to how long it takes to make a char "manually".

Tiqon
October 10th, 2012, 08:05
Also with the upcomming new version of RM I just didnt want to use time and energy to find one that fit my needs atm...

JohnD
October 10th, 2012, 13:39
Might be best to wait for RMU to come out... it will likely become the standard version most games use IMO from what I've seen so far.

Some kind of import wouldn't be a bad thing.

On the other hand, if you get in the groove, a character only takes around 25 minutes from start to finish in my experience.

bennis1980
October 11th, 2012, 07:14
Actual character creation using FG takes about 15min (IMO), but the main time is spent with players hmmming and hawing over which skills, talents and equipment to choose (which in my experience brings it up to 1hr) :D

Dakadin
October 11th, 2012, 07:41
My list does include things to help with character creation and leveling. Lachancery gave me a good initial layout idea that got me thinking of the best way to implement it. Some things that I am going to try to include are:
* Stat Rolls (Initial and Stat Gains)
* Skill Development (Mainly to help with DP calculations)
* Equipment Purchasing (Mainly to help figure out the cost of the items)

I was hoping to have it in the next version but I lowered the priority so that I could include Raymond's new graphics and so I could work on a ruleset for the new version of Rolemaster. :D

Tiqon
October 11th, 2012, 21:31
* Skill Development (Mainly to help with DP calculations)

And this is PURELY what I use my excel sheet for.