PDA

View Full Version : Masking Doesn't Carry Forward

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 00:13
So I have a campaign and several modules that I open via that.

Before game I go in and put the mask on some maps, revealing what players would see initially. Then I shut down FG secure in the knowledge that I'm prepared.

Come game time I open my previously masked pictures and find that the mask is gone.

Again, I assume I am doing something wrong... but this stuff is supposed to carry across closing/launching FG isn't it?

Any ideas?

Edit: happens in 3.5e and Rolemaster rulesets.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2012, 00:28
Yeah, it should save it when you exit FG. I've just done a test and it works fine for me in the 3.5E ruleset.

One thing to check is if the mask .PNG image file is saved. Open your campaign directory (<FG App data folder>\campaigns\<campaign name>) and go to the "maskedimages" directory. There will be a bunch of .PNG files in here - one for each of your masked images. If there is nothing in here then the masks definitely aren't being saved.

If there aren't any .PNG mask files in the maskedimages directory, what are the exact steps you are taking to mask an image? Is this an image in a module or within the campaign images directory? Are you using any of the enhanced images/layer extensions?

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 00:52
There are .png mask files in both my campaign directory and the module directory that I have opened. The files seem to be there but nothing shows up masked.

Some of the files in the campaign directory are files from the module that I masked... is that right?

I have a module open within the campaign and open a map then use the radial to mask and uncover certain portions.

Edit: in fact, it appears I have multiple copies of some of the masked .png files - several of them appear to be the same map with almost the same masking.

Edit 2: I also notice that prior to exporting to a module I assigned a certain grid size to some maps... now when I go to re-size the old (original) grid always carries forward, not the newly assigned one.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2012, 01:11
Please try masking a non module image and see if you have the issue then.

If this fails, create a brand new campaign and try a campaign (non module) image.

Lets see if your issues are campaign or module specific.

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 01:19
Campaign image retained it's mask.

I have been leaving my campaigns in the campaign directory after I've done an /export to module... would that somehow make a difference?

Trenloe
October 9th, 2012, 01:43
I have been leaving my campaigns in the campaign directory after I've done an /export to module... would that somehow make a difference?
No, having the campaigns still there is not an issue.

You may get an issue if you're opening a module while in the same campaign that you used to create the module.

If you're not doing that, next step is to check which mask images the current campaign thinks it is using. Open the "moduledb" directory in your campaign folder and then open the XML file with the name of the module that you have your images in. There will be some <image> entries that have details of the <bitmap> (the image file) and the <mask> filename - check that these match correctly. If they don't, I'd say it is easier to delete the module XML file in the moduledb directory and start your masking again...

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 02:57
I re-exported the module and in the new version the masking seems to be holding so far.

If this changes, I'll look as per your last suggestions and post back.

Thanks! :)

Callum
October 9th, 2012, 12:41
In my experience, masking you apply in a module will not be imported into a campaign.

Also, if you make changes to a module, and re-export it, then any masking that you applied in your main campaign to images from that module will disappear - but you can manually re-attach the mask overlays by editing the relevant xml file.

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 18:17
I guess this depends on how you look at applying a grid; is that considered masking or a layer? Grids seem to carry forward from campaign to exported module.

The problem I had was that none of the masking work I was doing in the module was being carried forward the next time I opened it in FG, although the maskedimages png files were there.

In my case re-doing the /export seems to have fixed it, but I'd love to know why it wasn't working right to begin with (has happened in multiple campaigns/modules)... must be the metal plate in my skull.

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2012, 18:35
The challenge with images and modules is that an image is actually an accumulation of 3 files (base image, mask, drawing). While the base image is static, the mask and drawing change constantly. Also, modules are meant to be static, which means that the files inside are not changed.

There is a mechanism to allow changes to be made to module data, but it is essentially an XML override file. There is no mechanism for overriding non-XML files.

So, when an image is saved to a module, only the image base file is actually stored in the module. Then, when an image from a module is used in a campaign, mask and drawing files are created in the campaign folder.

My guess is that the mask and drawing information could potentially be getting confused when the image is in a module and some event occurs. (i.e. the mask and drawing links might not map correctly. Might be trying to map to module file.) When you reset everything, I believe it fixed the links to point to the right location.

I probably won't be able to fix in v2.9.2, since it's very close now; but if you send me a campaign and module where this is occurring, I can try to dig in and see what is happening for more info and to fix in subsequent release. ([email protected])

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
October 9th, 2012, 21:07
I can do that.

JohnD
October 14th, 2012, 20:33
So... I tried the module which in the past (3.5e) hadn't been carrying the masking forward in my game last night.

Naturally, when I wanted to use it as an example of a "problem"; it worked.

Keep in mind here I didn't change anything with the module from last time to this time, so I really don't know what to think. Must be the metal plate in my skull causing interference.

Moon Wizard
October 14th, 2012, 21:26
It's probably just a series of conditions, instead of a single one. Just drop me a note when it happens again, and I can take a look.

Regards,
JPG