PDA

View Full Version : Something for next update

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 10:21
Hey guys in one of my other threads a idea was mentioned and i think it is a really good one.

Would it be a problem to get some way to customize the dice with different skins?
Because in my face to face group i dont use just a plain set of dice. I have several different styles of dice and they were all bought because when you pick out a set you find ones that call out to you.

I think this would be a great addition to the system. Also try making the books feel more like books and less like a web page with a bunch of links to click on.

Just something that i think would be cool to have in the system.

unerwünscht
October 5th, 2012, 12:22
This has been covered a few times now, I know I started a thread on it at one point (and I was apparently far from the first to do it). It has been suggested by the previous developers that it can not be done. However knowing what I know about 3D modeling I know this is a lie.

Somewhere there is going to be a file that has a gray image with strangely placed numbers on it of a different shade or color. But the old developers guarded this like it was some kind of industry trade secret, and I don't think Moon nor Doug have ever commented on it at all.

Anyways I agree.. WAY past time to open up the dice texture file so we can make custom textures.

Djmaxx
October 5th, 2012, 12:51
i am going to art institute of Pittsburgh so i can ask around for some freelance help if the developers will allow the help.

Zeus
October 5th, 2012, 13:04
This has been covered a few times now, I know I started a thread on it at one point (and I was apparently far from the first to do it). It has been suggested by the previous developers that it can not be done. However knowing what I know about 3D modeling I know this is a lie.

Somewhere there is going to be a file that has a gray image with strangely placed numbers on it of a different shade or color. But the old developers guarded this like it was some kind of industry trade secret, and I don't think Moon nor Doug have ever commented on it at all.

Anyways I agree.. WAY past time to open up the dice texture file so we can make custom textures.

I think the previous developers meant to infer it is possible (of course it is) but challenging within the confines of the DirectX v9 and approach FGII employs. D3D does cater for texture support but it would drive the need to replace the current bitmap approach to rendering the numbers on the die; If my memory serves me well FGII employs standard polyhedral 3D meshed models (cooked .x DirectX files) for the dice themselves and uses a programmatic RGB colour approach to paint them (colour is taken from the user's selected session colour); I believe the numbers themselves are implemented as an overlay bitmap (i.e. texture, probably a .png file).

All in all , I would love to see this feature too. Guess it will come down to how much of change it would drive and whether the dev focus at this time would be constructive vs. say dev effort in exposing the WebAPI we have all been clambering for.

When you look back over the last 2 years; the FGII engine has been overhauled extensively with many optimisations and enhancements. Its certainly come a very long way since I started using the software and since the current owners took over. I am confident that support for skinned die will come one day. I for one would like the ability to 'register' new 3D models with FGII as an enhancement to custom die types but I know from discussion with moon that this would take a lot of work.

Trenloe
October 5th, 2012, 15:54
It's on the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Do a search for "Custom Dice Skinning" then vote for it! :-)