PDA

View Full Version : Traveller or Slipstream

mgholson
October 4th, 2012, 16:46
So I'd like to try a Sci-Fi game and because I'm currently GMing two games, though one should be wrapping up in the next few weeks, I'd prefer not to GM.

So it looks like the choices are Classic Traveller or Slipstream, Traveller being free, and Slipstream being a 20 dollar ruleset. Don't have any experience with either system. I've been reading the Classic Traveller material a bit, but haven't really delved in yet. I'm typically more intersted in Hard Sci-Fi, and it looks like Slipstream is exactly the opposite.

So is there a Sci-Fi a group that needs a player?

Anyone willing to get a group going?

If not I could GM at some point in the future.

Gwaihir Scout
October 4th, 2012, 22:05
I would be willing to GM a Traveller game, but it wouldn't happen until around February, when my current Pathfinder campaign is going on hold.

Doswelk
October 5th, 2012, 08:54
Slipstream uses the Savage Worlds system, as such it is cinematic in its handling of situations.

Slipstream itself is basically the early black and white serials that were made in the USA with spaceships on wires with sparklers used for the engines, i.e. Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, basically it is pulp science fiction. (Which means you would need to buy both the Savage Worlds ruleset and Slipstream)

I've not player Traveller ever but I know it is hard Science Fiction rather than Star Trek/Star Wars/Firefly style.

Hope that helps in some way.

mgholson
October 5th, 2012, 13:43
Oh so 33 dollars to get slipstream.

BRP looks like it could work with a space opera game?

Gwahir, that sounds cool to me, if I can wait that lol LOL

cdjensen99
October 5th, 2012, 16:24
Traveller is a good system once you get past character generation. The trick is to keep a good grip on the generation process to keep the players from starting to powerfull.

I have GM'ed several game of traveller and I like Mongoose traveller the best. They do have rules for a point based character generation also. That may be a way to go (the dice can be cruel when you are making a charcter) instead of rolling everything up. I was thinking of actually running a game of traveller in FG I have the classic ruleset and it can be used as is. There are others that are trying to do a ruleset for Mongoose.

I could be convinced to do it, for a price. The price being that someone else run one later and let me play (I like to play).

Trenloe
October 5th, 2012, 17:30
I could be convinced to do it, for a price. The price being that someone else run one later and let me play (I like to play).
That could work... :)

mgholson
October 5th, 2012, 22:14
I would definitly run one later, I would be more inclined to GM now if I had a clue about the system.

I'm actually looking forward to randomized character generation. I know that sounds stupid but the hardest part for me is sitting down with all the millions of variations that can go into a character and running into a wall. I think it would pretty sweet to be at the mercy of the system when generating a character, of course i might not find it so sweet when my character is a double incontient albino dwarf with a lisp.

cdjensen99
October 6th, 2012, 03:46
I will need to take a good look at the Classic Traveller ruleset to see just what it will allow us to do.

cdjensen99
October 8th, 2012, 02:16
I initial look at the ruleset it leaves alot to be desireed. Like you are limited to one career path, etc...

That could cause a problem.

Trenloe
October 8th, 2012, 02:34
I initial look at the ruleset it leaves alot to be desireed. Like you are limited to one career path, etc...

That could cause a problem.
Yeah, don't expect automation you're used to in more recent rulesets. It's pretty much a step above bare minimum to allow you to play. Mind you, Classic Traveller doesn't require much more as the rules are... "streamlined" shall we say... ;)

You can still use the career tab to track each term - put the service at the beginning of the Commision/Promotions field. Put any further info you need in the Character Notes field in the Notes tab.