PDA

View Full Version : How do you view a saved character

hakfson77
October 3rd, 2012, 00:00
I know this might be a simple noob question. Ok, I go to manage characters. I make my character. Then I downlowad him to my computer. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is where I am stuck. when I go to the xml file with the characters name on in and view it in a broswer all it shows me is the script. I was hoping I would get maybe a 1-3 page character sheet that I could print out. Is that possible???
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 00:15
Exporting the character exports the base data used by Fantasy Grounds. This is used for providing a GM with your character ahead of the session you will play in - they (the GM) loads this file into Fantasy Grounds and they can check the character out there.

It is not "export and view externally to Fantasy Grounds" functionality unfortunately.

phantomwhale
October 3rd, 2012, 01:56
Third party tools will probably be the answer here. I know there is some integration between FGII and HeroLab, and the upcoming Savage Worlds Wild Card creator kickstarter has pledged to support the FGII XML format.

Basically, FGII exports all the data you need, it's a case of finding software that produces pretty character sheets (hopefully already in existance) and then finding some code monkey to write the doohickey to move the numbers into the right bits.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 02:15
Third party tools will probably be the answer here. I know there is some integration between FGII and HeroLab, and the upcoming Savage Worlds Wild Card creator kickstarter has pledged to support the FGII XML format.
It is one way integration from HeroLabs into Fantasy Grounds. It has been mentioned that going back the other way would be nice, but (the last I heard) this was not on the development plans as it would be a lot of effort to implement and keep updated.

Basically, FGII exports all the data you need, it's a case of finding software that produces pretty character sheets (hopefully already in existance) and then finding some code monkey to write the doohickey to move the numbers into the right bits.
I thought there was an old XML stylesheet (XSL) around for 3.5E that would display the FG XML in and HTML page (browser), but I can't find it at the moment. I'm not aware of any up-to-date XSL or something similar for 3.5E or Pathfinder - although that doesn't mean there isn't anything out there for these or other rulesets.