PDA

View Full Version : #3-21 The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment (10/06/12)

Gwaihir Scout
September 30th, 2012, 21:05
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 1–5.

In order to learn about the esoteric faith of the Empyreal Lord Korada, the PCs are sent by the Pathfinder Society to explore an abandoned aasimar temple to the benevolent deity. But what they find there is anything but an opportunity for peaceful reflection and enlightenment.

Session Day and Time and time zone: Saturday, October 6th, 7:00 PM CDT
GMT Offset: -5
Duration: Approx. 4 hours.
Fantasy Grounds license: Full (you'll need at least a Lite license to join).
Chat type: Teamspeak (fgts.servegame.com)
Tiers and subtiers valid for this scenario: Tier 1-5, subtiers 1-2, 4-5.

Sign up on the calendar entry: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=898. Please post here when you've done that so I can track order in case I need to keep a wait-list.

Please get your character to me by Friday night so that I'll have time to get familiar with your abilities.

I should warn you that this scenario can be deadly to an unprepared group. I'm not too worried about it here.

Bloodlust
September 30th, 2012, 21:15
I'm in thanks :)

Happy to play in the tier 4-5. So few scenarios run for mid-levels :)

Manium
September 30th, 2012, 23:05
Count me in, I'll be playing in the lower tier w/ my trusty rogue.

EDIT: I'd be playing in the mid-tiers by now if I didn't get backed up with work and classes the last month or so :'(

Bloodlust
September 30th, 2012, 23:10
Dang. Okay then.

Manium
October 1st, 2012, 00:17
If there's a few people that want to play the mid-tier scenario I'm more than willing to step out until another session.

Gwaihir Scout
October 1st, 2012, 00:23
If we get enough, I'll run one tier one day and the other the next.

Skellan
October 1st, 2012, 00:38
Great, I'd love to join please. I have applied on the calendar and will upload my character shortly

Ironman
October 1st, 2012, 02:47
I was going to start a game on the same night but canceled it due to lack of interest
(the only player who was interested is now signed up for this). So after playing my first PFS scenario tonight I am really excited about playing more.

Count me in:

Mangles PFS #65119-1
Taldor

FlowerPower
October 1st, 2012, 04:26
Blackfoot and I are interested in playing with Thea and Dowrimple.. level 4 Ranger and Cavalier.

Blackfoot
October 1st, 2012, 04:29
What she said.

Manium
October 1st, 2012, 06:27
I also haven't spent much in terms of gold or Prestige Points so before/after this campaign I'd like to buy a couple of things to amp out my guy.

It'd be a shame if I died now :(

EDIT: Watch this post bite me in my proverbial-*** later.

Gwaihir Scout
October 1st, 2012, 06:46
OK, I am tentatively opening up Friday, same time, for another session. If we can figure out a good split between 4-5 and 1-2 I'll run both. If not, just the one.

Bloodlust
October 1st, 2012, 06:50
Cool :)

Can the Friday night one please be the higher tier?

Blackfoot
October 1st, 2012, 14:42
OK, I am tentatively opening up Friday, same time, for another session. If we can figure out a good split between 4-5 and 1-2 I'll run both. If not, just the one.
Flower and I are only available for the Saturday option. She has other commitments on Friday.

Blackfoot
October 1st, 2012, 14:50
We could bring a couple of level 1s into play if the higher level game doesn't seem like an option... we were 6 & 7 to join up on the calendar... so don't make your decisions based on us.
She has a Swashbuckler Rogue and I have... well... lots of options... probably something with healing.

kozzom
October 2nd, 2012, 02:44
I have signed up for the Friday night game.

Character is Talin and he is a Wizard along with his owl.

Gwaihir Scout
October 2nd, 2012, 06:35
There are now 6 people in the 1-2 range (7 if you include the 3rd-level). Please go to the calendar page and vote on the times you would play if the game was held then. Do not simply vote for the time you prefer. I need this data to figure out what I'm going to do.

Also, Blackfoot is offering a First Steps game Friday night, which some of you may want to join.

Assuming only one game, here's the first six people to sign up and post in this thread:
1) Bloodlust - Jamal - Ranger 3
2) Manium - Merric - Rogue 2
3) Skellan - Kirsa - Ranger 1
4) Ironman - Mangles - Fighter 1
5) FlowerPower - Thea - Ranger 4
6) Blackfoot - Dowrimple - Cavalier 4

APL = 15/6 +1 = 3.5, so we'd be playing 4-5. Bad idea with the first-levels along.

I really want to run subtier 4-5 on this one. But it looks like if we have only one game this weekend, it'll be 1-2, and I won't be able to run another game until the 27th. So, I'm willing to do two sessions on Saturday, which saves me a lot of prep time over the three-weeks-apart plan. Of course, we'd need at least one other person who could play in the 4-5 range.

Let me know if you have any other ideas, and make sure to vote on those times.

Bloodlust
October 2nd, 2012, 06:45
People who do not have 4-5 characters could always run with a pregen.

Gwaihir Scout
October 2nd, 2012, 06:51
Oh, right. Forgot about that. I prefer to play with my own character whenever possible, so I forget that option.

If you go for a pregen for subtier 4-5, you've got the choice of a level 4 fighter, wizard, rogue, cleric, samurai, ninja, or gunslinger. You can take a look at them on Paizo's PFS website. You will get a chronicle which you can apply to a character, but it won't take effect until that character reaches level 4. You can also apply the chronicle to a brand-new 1st level character, with the gold received adjusted appropriately.

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 08:18
Would it help if i ran a tier 1-2? I am working on goblinblood dead and could have it ready for then

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 08:19
Depending on how close to 2 those Level 1s are... maybe some of them can level up on Friday night... I'm willing to run any of the first steps if FS-P2 isn't the best option...

We should be ok playing 4-5 with a party of 6 and two 4s, one 3, and three 2s.

As for times.. I have to check with the boss as to whether the 2pm EDT slot works or not.

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 08:27
Kirsa could make 2nd but I would also be happy to sit out if there's a higher lvl for the spot

Bloodlust
October 2nd, 2012, 08:30
The third timeslot option seems to be the only one that no one has raised any objections to. Can we all make it then? I really don't want to make it the first time slot option as I have something else on I'd have to cancel.

FlowerPower
October 2nd, 2012, 15:02
I have to work on Saturday. I can't make the 2pm EDT slot.

Bloodlust
October 2nd, 2012, 15:56
Okay well judging by the list of who signed up when:

1) Bloodlust - Jamal - Ranger 3
2) Manium - Merric - Rogue 2
3) Skellan - Kirsa - Ranger 1
4) Ironman - Mangles - Fighter 1

These first four people can all play in the third session (I am guessing that includes Manium as he hasn't ruled it out like session 2). This is also the only time that Rangerops (not in first six signed up) can play. If Ironman can make it at this time then that can gives us our six players.

Up to DM though.

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 16:15
Actually... Manium and Ironman are not signed up for the earlier session.
Bloodlust
Skellan
RangerOps

are signed up.

I'm not sure how this would be a gain.. since the later slot has 6 players who are available for it.. including most of those who are listed for the earlier slot.

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 16:27
You can rarely please everyone with these things. As you suggested, its probably best if the GM just makes a call. For me, I'd be happy if he just focused on running a tier 4-5 or whatever if that's what he prefers

Bloodlust
October 2nd, 2012, 16:31
Actually... Manium and Ironman are not signed up for the earlier session.

Correct, what I said was that they had not ruled it out, meaning that they were available for it.

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 16:42
You can rarely please everyone with these things. As you suggested, its probably best if the GM just makes a call. For me, I'd be happy if he just focused on running a tier 4-5 or whatever if that's what he prefersYou are absolutely correct... and I'm sure that's exactly what he will do. :)
If we end up needing to run tier 1-2 FP and I both have lower level options that we can play. I will bring something cool that will help the party... we are looking pretty soft on healing currently... maybe my Inquisitor...

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 16:52
Alternatively, while I would rather play my character, I wouldn't mind playing a pre gen if that would help with average party level

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 17:16
I was hoping running the Friday night First Steps game would give us enough oomph to make Tier 4-5 reasonable.. but even if all the 1s were to level up (which is unlikely) we only end up with a APL of 3.833 I guess that's not too bad... especially considering there are 6 in the party.. but... it kinda depends on how tough the critters are. Certainly if we play stupid.. we will die... and I've noticed with a lot of these that the big fight is pretty much unavoidable.

Gwaihir Scout
October 2nd, 2012, 18:39
With the First Steps game on Friday night, I've got no problem going back to the one session since it looks unlikely that a split will work.

So, the six I listed back a little ways are in, and it's up to them what they want to play. My desire to run a 4-5 game has no bearing on what we will play; if Blackfoot and FlowerPower play low-level characters, we'll play 1-2. Unfortunately, the difficulty of this scenario depends entirely on the actions of the characters, so I can't give a suggestion except that's a bad idea to take anyone still at level 1 along on subtier 4-5.

Kozzom is first on the wait-list, and the other two are in the ether.

Blackfoot
October 2nd, 2012, 19:02
At this point I have one more slot needed for that game. Gwaihir.. you have anything you've been itching to try out? :)

BTW.. as far as I'm concerned.. I'd probably prefer to play the 4-5 tier game... and I'm fairly certain that Bloodrage would prefer to play up (based on what he said at the last game) if Skellan were to play a level 4 cleric... we'd probably be ok with Level 2 Merric and Level 1 Mangles..
(even better if Mangles were to Level up in the FS Game)
I am completely willing to go the other way though.. whatever is best for the group.

Skellan
October 2nd, 2012, 19:18
Ok, I will play the 4th lvl cleric pregen. Kirsa can wait till 4th for the chronicle :)

Gwaihir Scout
October 2nd, 2012, 19:47
At this point I have one more slot needed for that game. Gwaihir.. you have anything you've been itching to try out? :)

Yeah, but I need an undine boon. I'll think about it. EDIT: Scratch that, I won't be home until a half-hour after you start.

OK, sounds like it's 4-5. Manium and Ironman can play what they've got or play a pregen.

Killian
October 2nd, 2012, 19:52
Any spaces still open for this game?

Gwaihir Scout
October 2nd, 2012, 20:31
No, but you're welcome to put yourself on the wait-list just in case.

Killian
October 2nd, 2012, 23:07
If you rank the wait-list sure, I'm still having connection issues which is why I havn't been around

Haematite .xml loaded just in case

Gwaihir Scout
October 3rd, 2012, 01:31
You actually posted in the thread, so you're #2 on the wait-list.

Manium
October 3rd, 2012, 01:43
Looks like Merric is buying a wand of light cure wounds before the session, using PP in place of gold. Seems necessary.

EDIT: Haven't played PFS in a month or so, so I'll have to check my chronicle sheets and see if there's anything else that would improve our survival chances.

Gwaihir Scout
October 3rd, 2012, 01:57
Wands of CLW are always a good purchase.

Blackfoot
October 3rd, 2012, 02:05
As long as there's someone around who can use one.

Ironman
October 3rd, 2012, 02:37
Playing a pre-gen sounds like fun. Does that mean I apply the credit for the game toward Mangles?

Skellan
October 3rd, 2012, 02:40
Mangles can get credit but only when he reaches 4th I think

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2012, 02:46
Mangles can get credit but only when he reaches 4th I think
Yeah, you can apply credit from playing a pregen to an existing (1 XP or more) character when you reach the level of the pregen you played, or apply it to a brand new (0 XP) character with the gold reduced to 500gp.

Ironman
October 3rd, 2012, 03:03
Okay cool. I can play the pre-gen fighter. Where do I find his character sheet?

Gwaihir Scout
October 3rd, 2012, 04:03
The pregens are over on the right of this page (https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/playerResources).

I've already got the level 4 fighter made for FG, so you don't need to worry about that.

Ironman
October 3rd, 2012, 04:34
Valeros looks like a very fun character to play and I have never tried twf before. Let the good times roll.

Blackfoot
October 5th, 2012, 14:25
Here are the files for Thea and Dowrimple (and companions):

Bloodlust
October 5th, 2012, 14:31
And Jamal.

Killian
October 5th, 2012, 15:23
Just a quick update internet has been a right pain so far 2 days and nights intermittant to no connection, hence why I asked if you ranked the wait list because I should be on the bottom. It is a late start though so that might work in my favour the later it gets the better the connection. Will still try to be online for start in case you need another

Gwaihir Scout
October 5th, 2012, 17:24
It looks like I have everyone's characters. Thanks. I'll go over them this evening.

Skellan
October 5th, 2012, 17:34
Do you need my pregen cleric or do you have it?

Gwaihir Scout
October 5th, 2012, 17:42
I have the level 1 cleric. Slowest part of upgrading it is adding the new inventory.

Skellan
October 5th, 2012, 17:48
I'll add her to fg if you like. You have lots to do already

Skellan
October 6th, 2012, 18:01
Here is Kyra

Chronicle sheet to be applied to Kirsa Peta PFS number is 62703 - 1

I am not sure how you do this, I presume you just give me a chronicle sheet with no totals on and I attach it to the chronicle sheet for her when she reaches 4th lvl?

Gwaihir Scout
October 6th, 2012, 19:17
Here is Kyra

Chronicle sheet to be applied to Kirsa Peta PFS number is 62703 - 1

I am not sure how you do this, I presume you just give me a chronicle sheet with no totals on and I attach it to the chronicle sheet for her when she reaches 4th lvl?

That sounds about right. The character's info on the Paizo website will show this like any other scenario, though, so keep that in mind.

And I should have payed a little more attention to the thread yesterday. I already upgraded Kyra.

Everyone, please try to be online 15 minutes early so we can start on time.

Killian
October 6th, 2012, 19:48
hey guys sending this from my phone take my off the waitlist no interent for the past 2 hours look like I'll be a no show :(

Gwaihir Scout
October 6th, 2012, 20:03
hey guys sending this from my phone take my off the waitlist no interent for the past 2 hours look like I'll be a no show :(

Thanks for letting me know. Better luck next time.

Gwaihir Scout
October 7th, 2012, 00:59
Server's up.

Gwaihir Scout
October 7th, 2012, 07:39
Thanks for playing.

Reminder, if you want any of this on your chronicle, I need all of these: starting XP, gold, fame, and prestige, plus purchases you're making.

Also let me know if you want a copy of your character xml.

Skellan
October 7th, 2012, 07:51
Think you just need kirsa peta 62703-1 for me as i was playing a pregen.no purchased for me

Thanks a lot for running this, i thought it was a cool scenario

Bloodlust
October 7th, 2012, 07:51
starting XP - 8
gold - 1310.5
fame and prestige - 14
purchases - Ring of Protection +1 (2000), Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000), Cold Iron Arrows x20 (2)

Email is [email protected]

Thanks again for running this, it looked like it was a very difficult adventure to run.

Manium
October 7th, 2012, 21:18
Thanks for playing.

Reminder, if you want any of this on your chronicle, I need all of these: starting XP, gold, fame, and prestige, plus purchases you're making.

Also let me know if you want a copy of your character xml.

Starting XP: 1/3
Gold: N/A (I'll apply it myself)
Fame: ??
Prestige: 8
Purchases:
Necklace of Fireballs Type II (2 2d6 fireballs) BOUGHT WITH 2PP, and 400 coldiron arrows (40 gp).

Thanks for the great game, boss.
Looking forward to the next!

Ironman
October 8th, 2012, 00:31
Excellent game last night. Certainly a marathon session @ 6.5 hours. I don't think i have ever played that long at one session before Thanks for running this.

Gwaihir Scout
October 8th, 2012, 01:07
Excellent game last night. Certainly a marathon session @ 6.5 hours. I don't think i have ever played that long at one session before Thanks for running this.

That goes for both of us. This scenario is entirely player-driven as written, so it can get really drawn out, especially on a VTT like this.

Bloodlust
October 8th, 2012, 02:19
Starting XP: 1/3
and 20 coldiron arrows (40 gp).

Cold Iron arrows only cost double normal arrows. So a quiver of 20 only costs 2 gold, not 40.

Bloodlust
October 8th, 2012, 02:25
Something we have have been doing wrong that I just stumbled across in the FAQ.

Trip: When a prone character stands up and provokes an attack of opportunity, can I use that attack to trip the character again?

No. The attack of opportunity is triggered before the action that triggered it is resolved. In this case, the target is still prone when the attack of opportunity occurs (and you get the normal bonuses when making such an attack). Since the trip combat maneuver does not prevent the target's action, the target then stands up.

—Jason Bulmahn, 08/14/10

Bloodlust
October 9th, 2012, 06:34
Have the chronicle sheets been published as yet?

Gwaihir Scout
October 9th, 2012, 14:30
Unfortunately, I had stuff come up which prevented my completing them. I'll get them done tonight.

Bloodlust
October 9th, 2012, 14:36
All good. Thanks :)

I'm in a game tomorrow morning (my time) and I guess I need to the sheet to make my next level all official :)

Gwaihir Scout
October 10th, 2012, 02:52
I'm getting that Manium has already played this one. "Player has already played scenario at session # 2 of event # 14886 PFS FG II Scenarios on July 24, 2012." If that's true, I can't give you a chronicle.

Gwaihir Scout
October 10th, 2012, 03:23
Here are the remaining chronicles. Sorry for the delay, and hope to see you again.

Manium
October 10th, 2012, 06:34
I'm getting that Manium has already played this one. "Player has already played scenario at session # 2 of event # 14886 PFS FG II Scenarios on July 24, 2012." If that's true, I can't give you a chronicle.

D:, I don't even get EXP?

Trenloe
October 10th, 2012, 06:45
D:, I don't even get EXP?
No - the same player (note player, not PC) cannot replay scenarios.

The exception to this is tier 1 (level 1 only) PFS scenarios (currently only the first steps series) and level 1 sanctioned modules (if you play a level 1 character).

See the "Replaying Scenarios" section of the Guide to Pathinder Society Organized Play - p21.

You cannot receive more than 1 player Chronicle and 1 GM Chronicle for the same scenario, regardless of how many times you GM or play the scenario. You are free to replay a scenario in order to meet the minimum legal table size (see Chapter 7), but once you have reached that limit, you do not earn any additional rewards beyond having a good time.

There is one exception to these rules: All Tier 1 scenarios and Tier 1–2 sanctioned modules are available for unlimited replay with a 1st-level character for credit. The sanctioned modules can also be played with a 2nd-level character once for credit. You may continue to replay the sanctioned modules with 1st-level characters after playing through them with a 2nd-level character. GMs can receive another Chronicle sheet each time they run one of the Tier 1 scenarios or Tier 1–2 sanctioned modules. No character can ever have two of the same Chronicle—the Chronicle must be applied to a different character each time.

Bloodlust
October 10th, 2012, 07:00
Come play in the one Thursday :)

Trenloe
October 10th, 2012, 07:16
Come play in the one Thursday :)
<stupid comment removed>

EDIT: Oh, it's a different "one" on Thursday... my bad... :o

Skellan
October 10th, 2012, 12:57
Thanks for the chronicle. Hope to play in another of your games soon :)