PDA

View Full Version : Long Connection Times

Fot5
September 29th, 2012, 21:22
I'm having trouble with very slow/long connection times. My game runs fine once everyone is connected, but the amount of time required for players to initially connect to the game is ridiculously long (e.g., 5-10 minutes, typically, especially when I have another computer connecting from within my network). This started about the time that 2.9 was released, but the problem has slowly become worse over time, and I'm wondering if someone can suggest some problem solving steps that might speed up the initial connection time.

Thanks in advance.

Griogre
September 29th, 2012, 22:04
Sometimes a lot of tokens, extentions or common modules causes connections to take that long. However, I would first try typeing /flushdb in FG chat when you don't have any players connected. This will clear player "ownership" of priviously shared maps and images. There is no reason for the player to still be kept in sync with a maps shared when they were 1st or 2nd level when they are 10th level. You may need to reshare any maps they are currently using.

Moon Wizard
September 30th, 2012, 01:31
Lots of tokens or shared images are the most common reason for long connection times. Most everything is cached on the player's machine, and should not require resending every session. However, the campaign database and image masks/drawings are sent every time to ensure the most up to date information on the player side. If you have a lot of large images shared, then the masks and drawings can get quite large. (i.e. each mask layer and each drawing layer is exactly the same dimensions as the image file it applies to.)

I recommend /flushdb as well. I usually perform a quick cleanup of shared items between modules to keep things manageable in my campaign.

Regards,
JPG