PDA

View Full Version : Effects Questions

The.Vortex
September 28th, 2012, 12:05
Hi,

I am quite new to FG and am trying to convert my character to FG. I was able to build a few effects that will modify my rolls when using certain abilities and options.

What I haven't found are the following things:

1. Is it possible to give the Effects names? That would look much nicer in the Combat Tracker (Both for Powers and Campaign Effects)
2. Is it possible to add half strength to damage as an effect? Or do any other kind of calculation in the Effect?
3. Are conditional effects possible? E.g. Power Attack does different Damage Bonuses depending on the kind of weapon you are using. Do I have to create multiple effects or can I combine them?
4. Is there a way to modify Threat Range or Critical Multiplier with Effects?

Oh, if this is relevant, I am using PFRPG rules

Willot
September 28th, 2012, 13:19
Hi,

I am quite new to FG and am trying to convert my character to FG. I was able to build a few effects that will modify my rolls when using certain abilities and options.

What I haven't found are the following things:

1. Is it possible to give the Effects names? That would look much nicer in the Combat Tracker (Both for Powers and Campaign Effects)
2. Is it possible to add half strength to damage as an effect? Or do any other kind of calculation in the Effect?
3. Are conditional effects possible? E.g. Power Attack does different Damage Bonuses depending on the kind of weapon you are using. Do I have to create multiple effects or can I combine them?

Oh, if this is relevant, I am using PFRPG rules

Check Theres out
Conditions you can place on pc's

Actions
Climbing GRANTCA
Kneeling AC: -2 melee; AC: 2 ranged
Running GRANTCA
Sitting AC: -2 melee; AC: 2 ranged
Squeezing GRANTCA; ATK: -5
Combat Advantage
CA Attacker Y Attacks treat defender as flat-footed
GRANTCA Defender Y Defender is considered flat-footed against attacks
Status
Blinded AC: -2; GRANTCA; SKILL: -2 strength dexterity; SKILL: -4 search perception Attacks treat defenders as if they have TCONC
Cowering AC: -2
Dazed
Dazzled ATK: -1; SKILL: -1 spot search perception
Deafened
Entangled ATK: -2; DEX: -4
Exhausted DEX: -6; STR: -6
Fascinated SKILL: -4 spot listen perception
Fatigued DEX: -2; STR: -2
Frightened ATK: -2; SAVE: -2; SKILL: -2; ABIL: -2
Grappled GRANTCA [to non-grapplers]
Helpless AC: -4 melee
Invisible Y ATK: 2; CA; TCONC
Incorporeal Corporeal attacks have 50% miss chance.
Panicked ATK: -2; SAVE: -2; SKILL: -2; ABIL: -2
Paralyzed AC: -4 melee
Petrified AC: -4 melee
Pinned GRANTCA, AC: -4 In 3.5E mode, AC penalty excludes grapplers
Prone ATK: -4 melee; AC: -4 melee; AC: 4 ranged
Rebuked AC: -2
Shaken ATK: -2; SAVE: -2; SKILL: -2; ABIL: -2
Sickened ATK: -2; DMG: -2; SAVE: -2; SKILL: -2; ABIL: -2
Slowed ATK: -1; AC: -1; REF: -1
Stunned AC: -2, GRANTCA
Turned AC: -2
Unconscious AC: -4 melee Prone effect applied separately

The.Vortex
September 28th, 2012, 13:22
Thank, I already found that list and used it for a lot of stuff. But some things are still missing, so I asked for those...

Trenloe
September 28th, 2012, 17:20
Yes, just include the name as text string at the beginning of the effect line. e.g. Power Attack; ATK:-1; DMG:2

No.

There is very basic conditional effects currently in the ruleset. By "conditional" it means "effects based on conditions" - so, you can create at affect that comes into play if you or the target is "blinded", "slowed", etc. e.g. :IF: blinded; DMG:-2" (IF is case sensitive). Use IFT for "if target" has a condition. By the way, I couldn't find documentation on this, so I checked through the ruleset.

For your example you will need to create multiple effects as weapons etc. are not covered by conditional effects.

No.

FYI - You may have already found this , but just in case you haven't (as a few people have missed all of the pages in the past) and for others reading this thread - there are a few pages on effects in the 3.5E User Guide (available from the "Library" link at the top of this page): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the menu on the left hand side of the window to see 6 different pages on effects.

The.Vortex
September 28th, 2012, 17:54
Thanks a lot, Trenloe.
At least one of my concerns (names) could be fixed :)

I already used the information from the link you provided, but thanks anyways ;)

Is there a list of conditions that work with the "IF" and "IFT"?

Trenloe
September 28th, 2012, 18:26
Is there a list of conditions that work with the "IF" and "IFT"?
blinded, climbing, confused, cowering, dazed, dazzled, deafened, entangled, exhausted, fascinated, fatigued, flat-footed, frightened, grappled, helpless, incorporeal, invisible, kneeling, nauseated, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, pinned, prone, rebuked, running, shaken, sickened, sitting, slowed, squeezing, stable, stunned, turned, unconscious

Bidmaron
November 18th, 2012, 04:06
How about an example where IF and IFT are used?

Moon Wizard
November 18th, 2012, 06:51
IF and IFT were primarily written for the 4E ruleset, due to the preponderance of effects that were triggered off of a condition. Since they used the same effects subsystem, I was able to easily import these conditionals into 3.5E.

There was no particular spell or ability that in 3.5E or PFRPG that was targeted for these conditionals, so they may not be very useful in the 3.5E ruleset even though they are available.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
November 18th, 2012, 07:59
How about an example where IF and IFT are used?
Post #4 above gives an example.

But, as M_W mentions, there aren't really any 3.5E/Pathfinder uses for this.

darrenan
December 27th, 2014, 22:22
I think the unconscious effect for PFRPG as listed on the wiki is incorrect. It is listed as "AC: -4 melee", but I think it should actually be "GRANTCA; AC: -5 melee" (and as listed in the wiki, prone should also be applied separately).

References:

Unconscious

Unconscious creatures are knocked out and helpless. Unconsciousness can result from having negative hit points (but not more than the creature's Constitution score), or from nonlethal damage in excess of current hit points.

Helpless

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (–5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks get no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

I think the GRANTCA is needed to undo any dex bonus the target might have, and then the -5 to get dexterity down to zero.

Also, does the implementation in the 3.5 ruleset for unconscious still match the wiki? If it has already been corrected, then ignore this entire post...

Thoughts?

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2015, 22:51
Per the SRD for both 3.5E and PFRPG, Unconscious and Helpless creatures are treated as if they had zero Dexterity for attack rolls and grant +4 bonus to melee attackers.

I've added a note to the wiki entry for Helpless, Paralyzed, Petrified and Unconscious to indicate that those effects will use Dexterity of zero for AC calculation.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2015, 23:11
Does 'undead traits' do anything when listed in a monster? Either as an effect or as a Special?
It 'could' make it so that nonlethal damage wouldn't apply... I'm not sure what other parts of it are actually FG functional.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2015, 00:43
Does 'undead traits' do anything when listed in a monster? Either as an effect or as a Special?
It 'could' make it so that nonlethal damage wouldn't apply... I'm not sure what other parts of it are actually FG functional.
So, the following is how it is supposed to work:

Pathfinder 3.0.7 introduced the adding of immune to non lethal damage ("IMMUNE: nonlethal" effect) for creatures with the undead type when they are added to the combat tracker (the code also adds "Undead Traits" to the effects - but this is for information only). Just adding the effect "Undead traits" to a creature without the undead type won't particularly do anything.

In 3.5e a creature with the undead type will also be immune to critical damage as well as nonlethal.

However testing this it doesn't work. Looking at the code it won't work correctly as the code looks to split types up using a comma, but the type entry needs to be split with a space - as "LE Medium undead" returns "LE Medium undead" which will never match with "undead" as the comparison needs to match the string "undead" exactly. I'll raise this in the house of healing.

Nickademus
January 20th, 2015, 01:16
The undead.... always causing problems...

Blackfoot
January 20th, 2015, 01:56
Seems like 'undead traits' could easily be recognized as meaning the same as 'IMMUNE:nonlethal'.. or at least the parser could add 'IMMUNE:nonlethal' when it finds 'undead traits'... 'IMMUNE:critical' as well for 3.5. Unfortunately 'undead traits' is part of the normal undead stat block.. not 'IMMUNE:nonlethal'.. actually.. the FG parser could add an effect for IMMUNE:nonlethal when it reads the monster into the tracker if it has 'undead traits'... there is a precedent for that sort of thing.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2015, 02:04
Seems like 'undead traits' could easily be recognized as meaning the same as 'IMMUNE:nonlethal'.. or at least the parser could add 'IMMUNE:nonlethal' when it finds 'undead traits'... 'IMMUNE:critical' as well for 3.5. Unfortunately 'undead traits' is part of the normal undead stat block.. not 'IMMUNE:nonlethal'.. actually.. the FG parser could add an effect for IMMUNE:nonlethal when it reads the monster into the tracker if it has 'undead traits'... there is a precedent for that sort of thing.
Once the "bug" with the code is fixed, these IMMUNE effects will be automatically parsed and added to a creature when they are added to the combat tracker, based off the creature type.

It would be nice if the effect "Undead Traits" (or other "XXX traits" for that matter) would automatically result in the immunities being applied - similar to conditions, then a GM can add the effect to creatures as required.