PDA

View Full Version : Crypt of the Everflame interest check

Ironman
September 27th, 2012, 05:08
I am going to go ahead and cancel this do to controversy and lack of interest.

Hail and well met,

I am checking interest for a Saturday evening Pathfinder game that will take place starting at 8:00 pm central and running till 11:30-12 pm weekly.

We will start with Crypt of the Everflame at level 1 and progress from there. If your not familiar with this Pathfinder module its a really great dungeon crawl that is beginner friendly and lots of fun. If the group "clicks" then we will progress through the trilogy; The Price of Immortality( Crypt of the Everflame, Masks of the Living God and The City of Golden Death). From there I have enough homemade material to take players to level 20 and beyond ( this will take a year or two playing weekly).

Character creation will be limited to the Core rule book only unless you have a really good reason and strong back story for playing something from another source. It will be 20 point buy with max starting gold. Min-max characters and one trick ponies will be subject to unreasonable amounts of fire and used to make smores for the rest of the party. So make a nice balanced character.

We will be using FG2 and you must have a license to play. I don't have the ultimate license. This will be a text based chat game and no voice com will be used.

If this sounds like fun and you think you can make the commitment to play through Crypt of the Everflame ( should be 3-4 sessions) let me know. PM me with a character concept.

Manium
September 27th, 2012, 06:55
Sounds fun, count me in.
I'll think up a character over the next day or so and PM you when I've got something.

Gwaihir Scout
September 27th, 2012, 17:09
Hi. I'm already playing one campaign and running another, so I don't think I'll be joining you. I did want to warn you about something.

Character creation will be limited to the Core rule book only unless you have a really good reason and strong back story for playing something from another source. It will be 20 point buy with max starting gold. Min-max characters and one trick ponies will be subject to unreasonable amounts of fire and used to make smores for the rest of the party. So make a nice balanced character.

This is a big red flag. If I was interested, I would think twice until I got some clarifications. What's is your definition of min-max? Anyone with a 7? With an 18? What if I'm playing a big strong barbarian who can be bullied into anything? A 7 CHA and 18 or even 20 STR makes sense in this case. What do you mean by balanced character? A bard?

Now, if you want to keep all the PCs in the same narrow power band, that's fine, but you ought to set out those limits in the beginning, rather than the vague "no min-maxing." But I get the feeling that you want to emphasize roleplaying, in which case you seem to be falling into the Stormwind Fallacy (https://www.loremaster.org/content.php/146-The-Stormwind-Fallacy).

Also, I need to write a "strong back story" if I want to play a cavalier or an oracle, but I don't if I'm playing a wizard or a monk? There are good reasons for wanting to keep things to core only, but this is an odd exception. Things like the traits and archetypes in the Advanced Players Guide often help a character become more interesting than the generic core classes.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that you're coming off a little strong in that area, and that some clarifications would be helpful. It's a bit busybody-ish, but I was stuck waiting for something else to finish, and got curious about what you meant. Best of luck.

Ironman
September 27th, 2012, 19:11
Well okay thanks for tearing my post apart. Its sad you dont have anything better to do since your not even interested in this particular game. If you dont like the guidlines then dont join the game. If anyone has legitimate questions about character creation feel free to ask. As for your post sir I owe you no explanation. Now go away and police someone elses post. Thanks.

Gwaihir Scout
September 27th, 2012, 20:08

Well, I went back over my post, and although I could have phrased a couple of things a little better, and I probably should have just asked a question instead of explaining myself, I think my tone doesn't deserve that response.

But you got it, jefe. I'm gone.

Ironman
September 30th, 2012, 02:57
The busy body forum police have spoken and a red flag has gone up. Its a good thing too because people may have actually joined this game and had fun. I fear the worst at this point but oh well , life goes on. There's no replacement for humor and lightheartedness not even know-it-all's worthless unsolicited opinions.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2012, 20:03
The busy body forum police have spoken and a red flag has gone up. Its a good thing too because people may have actually joined this game and had fun. I fear the worst at this point but oh well , life goes on. There's no replacement for humor and lightheartedness not even know-it-all's worthless unsolicited opinions.
Give it a bit more time - interest in campaigns can usually take more than a few days to get enough interested players...

Also include information regarding your timezone - this can sometimes be the main reason people don't show interest as they may think they can't make the posted times of your game but timezone differences might make it possible... :)

Ironman
September 30th, 2012, 21:11
Thanks for the encouragement. I did mention Central time zone in the original post. I have made a calendar link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=899) which should show those interested the game in their time.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2012, 21:13
Thanks for the encouragement. I did mention Central time zone in the original post.Oh yes, so you did... :o