PDA

View Full Version : Question about multiple computers + other questions on player experience

Golgorosh
September 25th, 2012, 11:01
Hello there

i have few questions because some points are still unclear to me on FG2.

- If i buy FG2 Full edition + the ruleset of Savage Worlds, can i install those two on 2 different computers so i can prepare my stuff on computer 1 and play it on computer 2. What will the software will ask me? The serial of FG2 can go on 2 different computers ? Ditto with the ruleset ?

- If i have prepared a scenario with Savage Worlds ruleset, will the players see the Savage Worlds ruleset when they will connect to my PC ? I assume yes, i have seen a video on this on youtube, but since i'm not native EN speaker, i didnt quite grab what i have to do so the players see the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Thnak you in advance and have a great day :)

Crossfireue
September 25th, 2012, 19:06
I don't believe that the serial number for FGII can be used simultaneously on two different computers. The alternative would be to purchase an Ultimate license for one computer (the host) and then use the demo version for the other computer (the player), which would be free. Ultimate license holders can host as many demo version players as they want – full license only allows one demo version, I believe.

If you purchase the Savage Worlds ruleset, anybody who connects to your host computer (the GM) will be able to see and use the ruleset, they just won't have a copy of it transferred to their client computer. I played a game with a custom Marvel Heroic RPG ruleset being used, and I didn't need a copy of the ruleset to play.

Griogre
September 25th, 2012, 19:16
Hello there

i have few questions because some points are still unclear to me on FG2.

- If i buy FG2 Full edition + the ruleset of Savage Worlds, can i install those two on 2 different computers so i can prepare my stuff on computer 1 and play it on computer 2. What will the software will ask me? The serial of FG2 can go on 2 different computers ? Ditto with the ruleset ?
This is fine as long as both computers don't run FG at the same time. And yes you will need to use the same serial number.

- If i have prepared a scenario with Savage Worlds ruleset, will the players see the Savage Worlds ruleset when they will connect to my PC ? I assume yes, i have seen a video on this on youtube, but since i'm not native EN speaker, i didnt quite grab what i have to do so the players see the Savage Worlds ruleset.
Two things need to be transferred to the players.

1) Ruleset. You don't have to do anything to transfer the ruleset it will happen automatically when your players connect. Depending on the quality of your and your players Internet connection and your server's up bandwidth and number of players connected it can take 30 minutes or so to transfer the ruleset. The ruleset transfer is a one time thing as it is cached on the player's computer. Because of this, often a GM will leave the server up a day or two before the game so players can connect before game time so you don't have to waste game time with the transfer and so the server doesn't have to transfer everything at once to all the players.

2) Common Modules. The SW Player Guide is a common module. Any SW setting Player guide is one too. The Adventure Deck extension has a common module also. The GM has to "force load" these module by opening up the list of modules by clicking the "Mod" button in the upper right of the FG desktop and dragging the lightning bolt "force load" icon into the empty octogon under the book icon on the right side of the module listing. That's a mouthful so I've attached a picture where the Adventure Deck common module has been force loaded:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/ForceLoad.png

Edit: Out typed by Crossfireue because of my "pretty" pic.... :p ;)

Trenloe
September 25th, 2012, 19:19
User ddavison (president of Smiteworks) briefly answers this in post #6, answer to question 5 in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16902

Basically, he is OK with you using the same license to develop games on 2 different computers that are your own. You would install the same serial and expansions/rulesets on both computers and transer campaigns between the 2.

As Crossfire says, you will not be able to connect between the 2 installs as this would be violating the license (FG won't actually let you do that). For testing you can run another instance of FG on the same computer and connect as a player using localhost as the server address.

Golgorosh
October 3rd, 2012, 09:53
Thank you for your kind and precise answers :)

damned
October 3rd, 2012, 11:02
additionally while the SW ruleset only needs to be purchased by DM this is true for most but not all rulesets.

JohnD
October 3rd, 2012, 14:01
Take the plunge - you won't regret it. Top notch choice for a VTT.

FG is also about to offer even more value with the new art content coming in the near future.

HighNDry
October 18th, 2012, 03:44
Hello,
Hate to beat a downed horse, but I'm still not sure I understand exactly what license I need to purchase to do what I want.
As the GM, I have 1 player who is out of the country. The rest will be local to me.
With 'Full License (GM and/or Player)' $39 + Lite License (Player Only) $24 can I run a dungeon with say 7 local and one remote players?
Will it track the whole party or just the 1? Also, if he disconnects, does it stop? Or can I have it keep playing?

What I need is a program helper that allows me to be running a dungeon for our local group while allowing him to come and go as his time allows.

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2012, 04:15
The most common scenarios I have seen is for a GM to host a GM and player view on the same machine using a single GM license. One monitor for the local players, and one monitor for the GM. This only requires a single GM license, since a GM license can connect to itself. I use this method when I run face to face games in order to use the combat tracker, effect tracking, show handouts and perform NPC rolls and tracking.

If you only have one remote player connecting to your GM session, you only need a Full and a Lite license.

If you have one remote player and you want a local laptop to pass around to allow local players to take actions within FG (tactical positioning, etc.), you would need a Full and 2 Lite licenses.

One consideration is that you as a GM will have to input any data into the system that you would like your remote player to be able to see. (map and mini position, combat tracker, wounds, etc.) If you have the local players enter into another laptop, then that is not an issue, but you have to pass around a laptop.

Regards,
JPG

damned
October 18th, 2012, 04:18
or have a large LCD and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and just pass those around...i agree 1 full + 2 lite will be easiest.

Griogre
October 18th, 2012, 04:37
It depends on how you want to have the other local 7 players to interact with FG. If you want the local player's to roll their dice at the table and have their character sheets just like normal in a face to face game, then a Full license for you and you might be able to get by with two monitors plus a Lite version for the remote player would work.

It would probably be easiest to have two lites and a full like the others said though.