PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding NPC attack stats in 3.5

idgie
September 21st, 2012, 04:45
I am trying to create a custom NPC and or Trap in 3.5 and am having trouble finding the specifics on what I need to do make the attack be able to drag and drop into the chat window or combat tracker.

I went and found an example that works such as: 2 +1 short sword +6/+1 melee (1D6+8/19-20/x3) (Note: please ignore the specifics of the weapon, for I am just trying to figure out the coding)

2 (number of times) +1 short sword (weapon descriptor) +6/+1 (attack bonus) melee (melee or ranged) (1D6+8 (damage)/19-20 (crit range)/x3 (crit multiplier))

I have seen other things added to attacks and other examples with other variations. I am wondering is if there is anything that spells out all the text options and their effect.

On another note, I don't know how to make a trap deal damage without making it an NPC.

Trenloe
September 21st, 2012, 05:08
I am trying to create a custom NPC and or Trap in 3.5 and am having trouble finding the specifics on what I need to do make the attack be able to drag and drop into the chat window or combat tracker.

I went and found an example that works such as: 2 +1 short sword +6/+1 melee (1D6+8/19-20/x3) (Note: please ignore the specifics of the weapon, for I am just trying to figure out the coding)

2 (number of times) +1 short sword (weapon descriptor) +6/+1 (attack bonus) melee (melee or ranged) (1D6+8 (damage)/19-20 (crit range)/x3 (crit multiplier))

I have seen other things added to attacks and other examples with other variations. I am wondering is if there is anything that spells out all the text options and their effect.
The attack lines follow the creature stat block definitions from 3.5E - see the "attack" and "full attack" entry here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm

Also, there are plenty of examples in the "3.5E Monsters" library module. A good one to look at is the "Lizardfolk" entry as this has claws, bite, club and javelin all in one!

On another note, I don't know how to make a trap deal damage without making it an NPC.
Create the trap with an "Effect" line of the attack (same syntax as NPC attacks). e.g. Arrow +2 ranged(1d6)

Then add the trap to the combat tracker and you can target PCs, roll for attacks (or spell effects) and apply damage by double clicking on the damage entry (in parentheses on the effect line).