PDA

View Full Version : Piercing not working correct

Forsakensoul
September 21st, 2012, 01:20
My friends and I have just purchased the Fantasy Ground software, and we are very pleased so far. We have been setting up mock battles to get familiar with the system. We are playing the pathfinder rule set. However we have encountered an issue we are having trouble resolving.

We have level one characters shooting short bows at a zombie. The bows are not being used as melee. We have selected them as ranged. The character sheet indicates that the bows are piercing. The zombies have 5/slashing DR.

Each time we shoot them with an arrow (piercing) the software deducts the 5 (slashing) resistance even though the characters were not slashing.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, or how we can stop this from happening?

Gwaihir Scout
September 21st, 2012, 02:16
Glad you're liking it so far.

5/slashing DR doesn't mean that zombies resist 5 points of slashing damage. It means they resist 5 points of weapon damage unless it's slashing damage (i.e. bludgeoning and piercing get resisted). The software is working properly.

Forsakensoul
September 21st, 2012, 05:10
Wow. I can't believe I have been playing that wrong for so long. However according to page 12 of the core rule book you are absolutely correct. Your post had me reread it rather than spending all my time trying to fix the software.

Thanks a lot!

Gwaihir Scout
September 21st, 2012, 05:44
Yeah, it's kind of counter-intuitive.

Leonal
September 22nd, 2012, 08:24
It might be counter-intuitive, but it would be a waste of space to write all the types it did protect against. :)

Blackfoot
September 27th, 2012, 17:57
Aren't there only 3 damage types that DR work against? Other sorts of damage are blocked by 'RESIST' no?
OK.. thinking this through a bit more.. there are more than that.. magic, cold iron, adamantine.... whatever.. those all count vs DR.