PDA

View Full Version : How to start

dmagain
September 20th, 2012, 03:54
Okay--I've bought the software (Full) plus a few lite licenses for my buddies. I've promised to run a 4e campaign. I thought that this was "fully" supported "out of the box" but have realized that it's more complicated. I'll be honest--I'm intimidated by the whole parser thing (although I'm sure Tenian is a great guy). I want to use this software to speed up face to face gaming so I want as much of the rule set as possible loaded. What do I do? how do I start? I own most of the 4e hardcovers and have a DDI subscription so there should be no legal issues involved. Has anyone created a module that covers most of the core rule set? Can they share it?

If not what about a real simple (for dummies style) walk thru of how to use the parser to get what is needed to as maximally as possible automate game play. I've read the post on using the parser to input the dragonborn race module but it occurs to me that I'd have to do things equivalent to that about 150times to get most of what I need. Is there an easy way just to get powers, feats, conditions into FG? Can someone share? Sorry I'm so "needy"...I am not facing buyers remorse as I am still super excited about the potential of this tool I'm just not sure how to unlock that potential.

Thanks for ANY advice!

P.S. I don't want advice along the lines of...load a simple module of one map and one monster and get started or jump in an existing game as a player. Those are great approaches for many people but I bought this software specifically to play a fully implemented 4e game with a select set of friends. Both play styles (jump in a game vs my plan) are fine but this is my intended use.

Griogre
September 20th, 2012, 04:10
The legalities around the 4E ruleset means its illegal to share modules with you even if you own the books and have a DDI subscription. It's not illegal for *you* to have the modules, but it *is* illegal for us to distribute (share) them with you. That's why the parser exists so you can make your own modules for yourself.

There are plenty of people who can help you parse the modules you want and once you do one its usually pretty easy to do the next, its the setup that is hard on the first one.

Maybe we can go through Dr.Zuess' Dragonborn tutorial with you to find out what you don't understand. After you've installed the parser and added EugeneZ update what's the first part you have a problem with? It might be easier to walk you through using the parser on the FG TeamSpeak Server.

dmagain
September 20th, 2012, 04:33
Griogre---wow fast reply. I'm on iPhone now going to bed so won't type much. I'll get back to you in next few days with more specific problems/questions. Can I just use this thread? Do you work for FG/Smiteworks or just really helpful? Thanks in either case!

Xross
September 20th, 2012, 05:09
Creating a lot of the 4e material in FG is straightforward once you know how, I'll PM you my Skype info so we can go through some basic things.

Griogre
September 20th, 2012, 05:57
Griogre---wow fast reply. I'm on iPhone now going to bed so won't type much. I'll get back to you in next few days with more specific problems/questions. Can I just use this thread? Do you work for FG/Smiteworks or just really helpful? Thanks in either case!
You're welcome. I don't work for Smiteworks so it must be the other... ;)

I agree with Xross that it will most likely be easier to just use audio to walk through the process. When you are ready, just post and hopefully someone can walk you through.